Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams

You don't draft a 2nd rounder to be a projected starter. Wannstedt had that much right. Matt Roth is an animal, and yeah he will be starting, and sooner than you think. Remember that Carter's contract is essentially a 2 year deal, if not a 1 year deal, and Holliday's contract is the same.

Tell you the truth I'm more excited by Matt Roth than Ronnie Brown. Don't get me wrong I think Ronnie will be awesome, and probably have a bigger impact than Roth right away, but Roth is the kind of player I expect we're going to see out of Saban a lot, and that excites me. He's like the Pollack of the Big Ten. I bet Saban thought the same thing when he played Iowa, and he also played Oklahoma and Dan Cody, so if he chooses Roth over Cody, I trust him.

My lord this is crazy.

The problem with those other picks you mentioned......those guys were reaches and/or sucked.

This guy was a 1st rounder. He's an animal who's game translates to the pro level. He's not a backup. This guy will start.

Moment to reflect: list the age of each of our DEs.

At what point do you solve problems?? I mean when and how do you get better as a team if all you do is draft BPA?

I am not down on the pick like some are, but I question the need vs OLine and WR.

erralyn, you poke your head out (like Punxsutawney Phill) around draft time and cast your shadow over the Dolphins drafts. One bashing post after another, until you finally take your lumps and fade away. Let's hope it's before the 3rd round pick this year.

fin-atic said:
At what point do you solve problems?? I mean when and how do you get better as a team if all you do is draft BPA?

I am not down on the pick like some are, but I question the need vs OLine and WR.

The thing about it is that you don't know our needs like the Phins FO does.

Again, you don't draft for need. If the BPA fits your need then great (like Ronnie Brown), but you don't set out to draft for a need. That causes overreaching and excuse-making. I'd rather NOT have to listen to Saban drum up support for a poorly timed pick that fit a team need.

erralyn said:
And that's what we did.

In fact I'm surprised we didn't take Nugent, since we already have a (reasonably) good kicker.

The Dolphins sucked last year and we had obvious needs. Quarterback, for one. But to go and add a player to one of the deepest areas on our team..

..haven't we tried this before? Remember a certain CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago when we had Surtain and Madison already?

We'll never fill the holes on the team by constantly building towards the future. At some point you need to draft players who are improvements at their position.

Is Roth better than Carter and Jason Taylor right now? I highly doubt it on both counts.

Eddie Moore all over again.

wow..:shakeno: just stop, you are making NO sence at all..

like i saw someone say earlier, the jets are looking for fans

bAH....We need another De or LB like a hole in the head..........BAD PICK

Muck

Muck, if you are still reading this post, there are two posters in this thread that I expect to be banned from the board permanently for remarks made.

But staying on the subject, if you don't draft for need...

...then we should have drafted Mike Nugent. He was the best player available. He dominated his position more than any other player in the draft. By that logic, he should have been the #1 overall pick.

So need IS important. If we hadn't spent a ton of cap space of DEs through free agency, then maybe...MAYBE..this pick is justified.

Some have said that Carter and Holliday will play DT in our scheme.

Well, we had a couple DTs who are still pretty good (though ancient) and making a lot of money. This is not a wise use of cap space and is endemic of what caused us to have a lack of talent on offense in the first place.

In Nick we trust!!!

Yes Nugent is probably the best kicker out there...but is he worth a 2nd rounder?.....probably NOT....it is like taking a kicker on your fantasy league...you can always find other kickers later on who will do just as well...it is not worth taking a kicker 2nd unless your kicker totally sucks.

Back
Top Bottom