Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just great...another 2nd round defensive player who can help special teams

erralyn said:
But staying on the subject, if you don't draft for need...

...then we should have drafted Mike Nugent. He was the best player available. '

In who's opinion? Not Saban's (obviously). There are MANY nfl GM's and Coaches that do not believe in drafting kickers at ALL. You would never place a higher value on a Kicker than you would a DE or any other position. Of course, that is just my humble opinion :lol:

I'm still waiting for this individual to start a thread that exhibits even a shred of football knowledge. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time...

erralyn said:
Muck, if you are still reading this post, there are two posters in this thread that I expect to be banned from the board permanently for remarks made.

But staying on the subject, if you don't draft for need...

...then we should have drafted Mike Nugent. He was the best player available. He dominated his position more than any other player in the draft. By that logic, he should have been the #1 overall pick.

So need IS important. If we hadn't spent a ton of cap space of DEs through free agency, then maybe...MAYBE..this pick is justified.

Some have said that Carter and Holliday will play DT in our scheme.

Well, we had a couple DTs who are still pretty good (though ancient) and making a lot of money. This is not a wise use of cap space and is endemic of what caused us to have a lack of talent on offense in the first place.

Are you the one who is all over Ken Dorsey's jock??? :roflmao: I think u were spoutin off some B.S. in the chatroom earlier. No offense but you really need to watch football instead of the draft. DT is still a need when you don't have a single D lineman under 30 for the season.

erralyn said:
And that's what we did.

In fact I'm surprised we didn't take Nugent, since we already have a (reasonably) good kicker.

The Dolphins sucked last year and we had obvious needs. Quarterback, for one. But to go and add a player to one of the deepest areas on our team..

..haven't we tried this before? Remember a certain CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago when we had Surtain and Madison already?

We'll never fill the holes on the team by constantly building towards the future. At some point you need to draft players who are improvements at their position.

Is Roth better than Carter and Jason Taylor right now? I highly doubt it on both counts.

Eddie Moore all over again.

Where do we start with your clueless thread?:shakeno: First of all, Nugent, won't even comment it's so dumb. And Good teams/GM's will take the best player even if they have depth. Our DL is old, ROth will find a spot in the starting lineup, he's incredibly talented and a steal in teh 2nd round. Eddie Moore was a 5th round pick selected in the 2nd round by a coach that couldn't evaluate talent. NO ONE IN ANY DRAFT can be considered better than JT or KC right now, but doesn't mean he can't be a great replacement.

erralyn said:
Gee, I wonder who this reminds me of.

We spend a lot of money in free agency signing Defensive Ends, then we go out and draft one.

The Surtain trade was supposed to shift the team's emphasis from defense to offense, and we use that pick on a defensive player?

We had a glut at CB (with Surtain, Poole, Madison and Howard). Now we have a glut at DE.

Hmm, usings picks on RBs and defensive depth. Saban, you and WannspielJohnson are peas in a pod, as far as drafting is concerned.

AHHH, another out of work NFL GM!!!! Hopefully yuou'll get a job in 2006 since your an expert at drafting.

Some people

obviously weren't following what I was saying. I was responding to the draft strategy of 'best player available.' Nugent is the best player in the draft, by virtue of being the most dominant at his position. I was using that example to explain why 'best player available' shouldn't be the Dolphin's draft strategy.

My point is that I do not care how good of a defensive end Roth is, unless he can play in the Pro Bowl for us -this year.- We have too many holes to be drafting for depth and the 'best player available.' We should be drafting 'best player available in a position of need.'

And for the people wanting me to switch teams. Hating a team's recent draft strategy is not the same as hating a team.

The Jets are looking for fans? Fine, -you- become a fan of the Jets. I am loyal Dolphin fan and a loyal season ticket holder. I reserve my right to complain and gripe about poor draft decisions as I choose.

Randy Muller from ESPN is guessing that Roth will play LB in the 3-4 Defense, he feels that he will play a similar position as Vrabel from the Patriots and is better suited there than DL

Uh.....But the concensus is that it was a good pick. :spit:

I think Roth was a good pick, best player available and a stud for the future. I think Saban is not thinking just for this next year but for several years to come. Unfortunately for Us Fish Fans, we have become all to dependant on the immediate free agent pickups in lieu of building upon youth.

erralyn said:
obviously weren't following what I was saying. I was responding to the draft strategy of 'best player available.' Nugent is the best player in the draft, by virtue of being the most dominant at his position. I was using that example to explain why 'best player available' shouldn't be the Dolphin's draft strategy.

My point is that I do not care how good of a defensive end Roth is, unless he can play in the Pro Bowl for us -this year.- We have too many holes to be drafting for depth and the 'best player available.' We should be drafting 'best player available in a position of need.'

And for the people wanting me to switch teams. Hating a team's recent draft strategy is not the same as hating a team.

The Jets are looking for fans? Fine, -you- become a fan of the Jets. I am loyal Dolphin fan and a loyal season ticket holder. I reserve my right to complain and gripe about poor draft decisions as I choose.

You screw your whole argument by keep saying that Nugent is the BPA. Everytime you repeat it, you lose what little credibility you may have. "Nugent best player in the draft". :shakeno: :shakeno: Dumbest post I've seen all year. please stop posting tonight. THe rest of us are really enjoying this draft.

erralyn said:
Nugent is the best player in the draft,

You should make this into your signature. Then we can assume you are really just trying to be a funny guy.

erralyn said:
'best player available' shouldn't be the Dolphin's draft strategy.

First of all, you can only assume, from your couch or lounge chair, what Miami's greatest needs are. I'd imaging you would get equal numbers of fans saying O-Line, Running Back, DB (losing Surtain), Line Backer, D-Line, QB and Punter. Regardless of what GM potatohead thinks the team needs, you don't have a strategy for need drafting. If, at your draft pick, there is a player that is head and shoulders above all other players you pick him. If there are a few players that are graded at the top of your draft board, then I can see you choosing the player that better fits the team's need. However, you should never pass up BPA for a need. You did say "Nugent is the best player in this draft", so I will have to assume you are playing games, or just that oblivious.

erralyn said:
And that's what we did.

In fact I'm surprised we didn't take Nugent, since we already have a (reasonably) good kicker.

The Dolphins sucked last year and we had obvious needs. Quarterback, for one. But to go and add a player to one of the deepest areas on our team..

..haven't we tried this before? Remember a certain CB we drafted in the 1st round a few years ago when we had Surtain and Madison already?

We'll never fill the holes on the team by constantly building towards the future. At some point you need to draft players who are improvements at their position.

Is Roth better than Carter and Jason Taylor right now? I highly doubt it on both counts.

Eddie Moore all over again.

Hopefully soon, the nice men in the white uniforms will come and get you away from the hospital computer and continue with the electro shock therapy. :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom