Just some crap I've been hearing. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just some crap I've been hearing.

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Word is starting to spread through the sports radio circles that Marc Bulgar will not be the starter in St. Louis when camp starts. It's probably just speculation but I thought it was interesting to note. They are linking the speculation to the fact that Martz didn't trust him to "go for it" during the playoffs. Bulgar is now known as "interception prone" on the radio.

Their speculation is that Warner will be the starter when the 2004 season begins. I really don't think they'll have much luck ditching his salary on anybody so the scenario is not that far off (Bulgar=bench, Warner=start).

Bulgar is a RFA this season so I think the possibility of him arriving in Miami are slim but I did notice an genuine admiration as he had conversation with the CBS crew including Dan Marino.

Throw in the similarities of Mike Martz system to that of Norv Turner and it's not far flung to speculate that Bulgar might end up in Miami if he goes anywhere (and that's a big IF).

Then again, PFT just said that they are hearing Turner will not be retained. :huh:

I really doubt that one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the fact that we were only a few plays away from being 13-3 last year, we're pretty close to crackin' it open.

Would Bulger's increased arm-strength over Fiedler be what is needed given the same situation?

Could be....but with the salary issues we're having, I wouldn't think we'd be able to go after him and keep from disassembling some other area.

Never know though....I don't rule anything out, short of us getting Peyton or something like that.

Originally posted by ZOD
Word is starting to spread through the sports radio circles that Marc Bulgar will not be the starter in St. Louis when camp starts. It's probably just speculation but I thought it was interesting to note. They are linking the speculation to the fact that Martz didn't trust him to "go for it" during the playoffs. Bulgar is now known as "interception prone" on the radio.

Their speculation is that Warner will be the starter when the 2004 season begins. I really don't think they'll have much luck ditching his salary on anybody so the scenario is not that far off (Bulgar=bench, Warner=start).

Bulgar is a RFA this season so I think the possibility of him arriving in Miami are slim but I did notice an genuine admiration as he had conversation with the CBS crew including Dan Marino.

Throw in the similarities of Mike Martz system to that of Norv Turner and it's not far flung to speculate that Bulgar might end up in Miami if he goes anywhere (and that's a big IF).

Then again, PFT just said that they are hearing Turner will not be retained. :huh:

I really doubt that one too.

Dont forget another tie...Bulger went to the same High School as Marino and broke some of Dans records.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong here......

Bulgar was a RFA last year. They gave him a 1 yr deal for 300,000.

Would that not make him UFA this year?

Originally posted by chambers84
Bulger s*cks, and the thought of him being here s*cks even more.

*Tough crowd*

So his 101 passer rating in 2002 and his 81 passer rating in 2003 are not good enough for you?

I suppose the ? in front of Ben Rothlisberger's name looks better. :rolleyes:

My roommates are from St. Louis and are huge Rams fans so I follow them fairly closely. First, do not trust any "speculation" you hear out of St. Louis. I'm not saying that whole scenario might not be right, but the people there love to create stories and controversy whenever anything goes wrong. They expect to be undefeated and win the Super Bowl every year. Hell, after everything, they still shove a microphone in Kurt Warner's wife's face any time they get the chance.

As for Bulger, I think he is a great young QB. Watching their games all year long, I saw him make some passes that a lot of guys in the league simply cannot make. He has a very nice touch. I have my doubts about Martz going back to Warner after this year. Sure, Bulger played bad, but it was the kid's first playoff game. McNair and Favre didn't have great games either. Benching him would be a step backward and could potentially result in him never getting over it.

Warner is a very sticky situation. His cap numbers are horrifying. I really don't think he wants to sit the bench again next year, and I don't think the Rams want to pay him an enormous amount of money to do so. Is it possible for them to restructure his contract and then trade him? I'm sure he would be more than willing to do so if it meant he would be given the chance to start somewhere else.

Still, I'm hesitant to say I would want either. Warner is a huge gamble. He's got lingering injury problems, and I'm starting to wonder if the guys who claimed he took too much of a beating in the arena league weren't right all along. Plus, he's not very mobile and doesn't hold on to the ball well when pressured. My pick out of the two would be Bulger (simply because of his youth), but I just don't see him leaving St. Louis. He has mobility problems as well. I don't think either of them would do well behind our line. We need somebody who can create that extra second or two by bouncing around in the pocket. Otherwise, we are going to have the same problems we had while Griese was playing. Defensive lines are just going to spot rush and 9 out of 10 times the QB is going to be right where they expect him to be. Brunell is a much better fit at this point in time.

Originally posted by ZOD

*Tough crowd*

So his 101 passer rating in 2002 and his 81 passer rating in 2003 are not good enough for you?

I think if you put Fiedler behind that O line, with Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt as his WRs, he could put up a pretty decent QB rating too.

Originally posted by Rick 1966

I think if you put Fiedler behind that O line, with Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt as his WRs, he could put up a pretty decent QB rating too.

I think you're right and wrong on that one. First, as great as the Rams O-line looks on paper, they have serious problems protecting the quarterback at times. Bulger and Warner both got KILLED back there. Fiedler has better mobility than either of them . . . so you could assume he might be a bit more productive when the line breaks down. However, Fiedler cannot make the consistent throws that those two have to make in Martz' offense. Their routes require stength and touch that I just have not seen Fiedler ever show.

81 passer rating is not the same on the rams as it would be on the Fins. Doesn't he have the best set of recievers in the league along with the best catching RB in the league???

You think he could get to 81 here?

Originally posted by Ross
81 passer rating is not the same on the rams as it would be on the Fins. Doesn't he have the best set of recievers in the league along with the best catching RB in the league???

You think he could get to 81 here?

Yes.

The main reason?

Norv Turner is not as oblivious to situational football as Mike Martz is. Mike Martz prefers to pass. You know it. I know it. The entire NFL knows it. The QB's get killed there as a result of the play calling.

Want to beat the Rams? Run a single gap, free run at the QB defense. It's what Carolina specializes in.

Originally posted by Ross
Not saying your call on Martz is wrong, but Norv prefers to pass too...

Whenever I've read breakdown's of Norv's philosophy (as le learned it, etc) it was always about how Norv's slant on it was that he prefered to hammer you with the run, then PA you to death. All things equal (like having a decent OLine) he would be content to run you into the ground.....

Originally posted by MaxPower

All things equal (like having a decent OLine) he would be content to run you into the ground.....

You mean like the last scoring drive during Buffalo at Miami circa 2003? :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom