Justin Herbert | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Justin Herbert

It was second and two from the 39. He threw the pick at the five yard line. So you're right it was not thrown in the red zone but rather INTO the red zone.

That said, this is the same thing that plagued him in college. Makes a lot of good throws and good decisions, manages the game etc....and then does something completely stupid. That play was awful. 29 seconds left in the third Quarter...they were running the ball all over the Chiefs (which helped him immensely). He was unimpeded to run for the first down. Classic situational football. He was good but nothing that surprises me from what he was in college. I wish the kid well, no ill feelings. I just chuckle at times when people look at stat lines (not saying you did that) and conclude a guy played great. Stat lines - more than ever - don't tell a QB story. You've got guys throwing for 300 yards throwing quick hitches, dump offs and three yard slants all game. Of course completion % are high on these guys. DBs cannot breathe on a receiver anymore.

Look at Josh Allen yesterday. I heard someone today suggest he might get into the MVP conversation this year. Huh? What? He threw some decent balls yesterday but was relatively untouched in the pocket, had guys WIDE open all game, and threw at least four awful passes that easily could have been intercepted if, you know, the Dolphins were actually playing pass defense yesterday. That doesn't even count the wide open throws he just completely whiffed on.
It was second and two from the 39. He threw the pick at the five yard line. So you're right it was not thrown in the red zone but rather INTO the red zone.

That said, this is the same thing that plagued him in college. Makes a lot of good throws and good decisions, manages the game etc....and then does something completely stupid. That play was awful. 29 seconds left in the third Quarter...they were running the ball all over the Chiefs (which helped him immensely). He was unimpeded to run for the first down. Classic situational football. He was good but nothing that surprises me from what he was in college. I wish the kid well, no ill feelings. I just chuckle at times when people look at stat lines (not saying you did that) and conclude a guy played great. Stat lines - more than ever - don't tell a QB story. You've got guys throwing for 300 yards throwing quick hitches, dump offs and three yard slants all game. Of course completion % are high on these guys. DBs cannot breathe on a receiver anymore.

Look at Josh Allen yesterday. I heard someone today suggest he might get into the MVP conversation this year. Huh? What? He threw some decent balls yesterday but was relatively untouched in the pocket, had guys WIDE open all game, and threw at least four awful passes that easily could have been intercepted if, you know, the Dolphins were actually playing pass defense yesterday. That doesn't even count the wide open throws he just completely whiffed on.
I thought he did well for his first start, it looked like the moment wasn’t to big( Playing the national champions), he looked comfortable, he looked like he was having fun, and for a rookie he showed a lot of poise.

I missed the part of the game where he racked up yardage early and only saw the part of the game where his team blew a lead because nearly every decision he made after halftime was pretty poor. Unlike Burrow, who had a low YPA but at least looked poised and seemed to be at least taking what the defense gave him, Herbert looked indecisive and his throws were all over the place. Rookies occasionally make mistakes adjusting to the speed of the game or getting duped on coverages, but that pick he threw was a terrible throw on any level.

I get that the dude didn't fall entirely on his face, he threw for 300 yards. But 300 yards sure ain't what it used to be, especially with teams coming into the start of the season with rosters thinned by opt-outs and then a spate a injuries from guys who had no preseason. Some people look at 300 yards and think great game, but a good game would have been throwing for 200 yards and not preventing his team from winning.

Time will tell...I was in the camp that was worried about Tua’s durability and favored drafting Herbert instead.

I’m watching the Bucs game today and Herbert is looking real damn good.

Yeah pretty damn good

He is playing well, I wish him well. I still have never once second guessed the Tua pick though

I liked Herbert quite a bit but I liked Tua better.

The kid is in a pretty good spot to succeed early, pretty decent talent around him, good defense, and a small fan base.

Not a lot of pressure on him.

Back
Top Bottom