Keeper Combat: Chambers vs. Price | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keeper Combat: Chambers vs. Price

Granted, Armstrong was a good pass rusher. We cannot tell what he would have done on Oakland (w/o JT) due to his unfortunate injury. Mixon was strictly a run-stopper as we had a pass rush package that obviously did not include him, so that arguement is baseless. Nobody is saying that Wale is not a great player, or that he is unwanted. I look at the newswire services everyday in the hope that his signing to a long-term contract is announced. Nonetheless, securing Chambers long-term is more vital to our success...

Chambers is a pro bowl caliber WR right now. He is in no way riding on potential, you don't just make assumptions on a player b/c of his stats, (although chambers are quite impressive), the fact that he is a big play reciever and his qb is one of the worste long ball throwers in the league shows that he doesnt have the talent to match up with his talent. Chambers is the real deal right now! Chambers is a bigger piece to the puzzle than wally is, we have enough talent to get by on D, we need the balance on offence to be a successful team.

pilotfish said:
Granted, Armstrong was a good pass rusher. We cannot tell what he would have done on Oakland (w/o JT) due to his unfortunate injury. Mixon was strictly a run-stopper as we had a pass rush package that obviously did not include him, so that arguement is baseless. Nobody is saying that Wale is not a great player, or that he is unwanted. I look at the newswire services everyday in the hope that his signing to a long-term contract is announced. Nonetheless, securing Chambers long-term is more vital to our success...

No it is not more vital to our success. The vital components of our offense is the running back, offensive line and QB...but WRs in this scheme only have to be good...not great. This tells me that Chambers can be replaced.
Miami wins with defense.

Those of you saying that Mixon was a runstopper are totally missing the point. Mixon didn't wake up and say I don't want sacks...I just want to stop the run. As a DE in the NFL you HAVE to do both. More importantly, a DE's job is to get to the QB. No defensive end receives accolades based on his run stopping ability.
Its obvious to me that Trace was a really good DE. I think OGUN is better than that...he has only played what....3 years, which means he should get better at his craft.
Miami will NOT win a superbowl by shortchanging the defense. That is the bottom line.

Lazy1 said:
Chambers is a pro bowl caliber WR right now. He is in no way riding on potential, you don't just make assumptions on a player b/c of his stats, (although chambers are quite impressive), the fact that he is a big play reciever and his qb is one of the worste long ball throwers in the league shows that he doesnt have the talent to match up with his talent. Chambers is the real deal right now! Chambers is a bigger piece to the puzzle than wally is, we have enough talent to get by on D, we need the balance on offence to be a successful team.

That is NOT true. Show me where they have Chambers listed as a probowler. Right now, it is simply potential....what we expect of him should all other components of the offense to be solid.

Now OGUN IS definately a pro bowl DE.

Superself said:
That is NOT true. Show me where they have Chambers listed as a probowler. Right now, it is simply potential....what we expect of him should all other components of the offense to be solid.

Now OGUN IS definately a pro bowl DE.
your not getting the point...

Fifi is the only reason that chambers is not a pro bowl WR

Chambers has been open many times where Fifi has overthrown him

Let's hope it isn't a choice between CC and Waley

I think the fins are in a tough situation. Obviously Waley's a very good DE, Great? TBD. Even though he's put up very good numbers for two years no club was willing to give up a 1 & 3, what does that tell you? He's far better that the Mixon/Bromell/Armstrong Combo. But how good can David Bowens be? Bowens is faster. Waley is stronger. Waley could have a great year coming up, but somehow I can't see the fins giving him that big contract. JT is the superior talent. Although it amazes me how he stays healthy with his "thin" (If you can call it that) body. But his motor never stops. How many time have you seen JT making a play 8-10 yards down & across field? I have yet to see Waley do things like that. If the fins could have got a 1 & 3 I would have been the first to say thankYou very much. But now, it's better that we sign him. Football is a tough business (heartless!) I hope Drew & Rick don't get into an ego clash and something gets worked out. Just don't make it a choice between Chris & Waley PLEASE!

I'm going with Chambers. We have some depth at DE, granted it may not be as good as Ogunleye but our defense could still be very effective. Chambers is a great reciever who needs a more accurate qb. If Feeley turns out to be as good as a lot of you say he is, Chambers will be a pro bowler this season.

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:

I agree, It takes more than just a talented WR to make the probowl...

You need a combination of a good pass protecting O-line, Good #2 receiver, and most importantly a good quarterback...
a_fiedler_i-1.jpg

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:

....and we neglect to mention that Chambers does drop a few balls from time to time. He still body catches some balls.

Consider last year where he was thrown to 138 times and caught 61 passes or 44.2% of what was thrown to him. I will admit that part of that is the accuracy of the QB, but still a big part is Chambers screwing up.

Take Boston who had an even worse QB in Drew Brees. Boston was thrown to 123 times but still managed to catch 70 passes or 56.9% of the balls thrown to him. Brees is either worse or on par with Fiedler.

So the argument that Chambers needs a better QB doesn't really hold water IMO because Boston did better last year with a sub-par QB.

Superself said:
....and we neglect to mention that Chambers does drop a few balls from time to time. He still body catches some balls.

Consider last year where he was thrown to 138 times and caught 61 passes or 44.2% of what was thrown to him. I will admit that part of that is the accuracy of the QB, but still a big part is Chambers screwing up.

Take Boston who had an even worse QB in Drew Brees. Boston was thrown to 123 times but still managed to catch 70 passes or 56.9% of the balls thrown to him. Brees is either worse or on par with Fiedler.

So the argument that Chambers needs a better QB doesn't really hold water IMO because Boston did better last year with a sub-par QB.

Minus weight, drugs and attitude most people conisder David Boston one of the best recievers in the league.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Minus weight, drugs and attitude most people conisder David Boston one of the best recievers in the league.

Well some people in this here thread believe that Chambers is on par or better than that. I'm just disputing the point that you can't blame Chamber's low numbers all on Fiedler. IMO the jury is still out on whether he can be one of the best in the league.

Superself said:
Well some people in this here thread believe that Chambers is on par or better than that. I'm just disputing the point that you can't blame Chamber's low numbers all on Fiedler. IMO the jury is still out on whether he can be one of the best in the league.

I feel the same about Ogun. The only difference is, Miami has a big need at wide reciever without Chambers. Miami has the depth to live without Ogun.

Superself said:
Does anyone here remember Kenny Mixon?? :rolleyes:
Damn guys... Trace was a really good player...he hit double digits with Chicago 2x and Miami 3x....I guess that is ALL because of Jason Taylor huh?

Well back to Mixon...why did he not have over 5 sacks for a full year starting opposite Taylor if your theory is true?

I've done my homework, and it says that OGUN has 24 sacks over the past 2 years starting. 24 SACKS!
It also says that when Taylor was struggling last year, OGUN racked up sacks...then when offensive coordinators gave OGUN his respect, Taylor started to get more sacks....check out the stats, they don't lie. Taylor got most of his sacks toward the end of the year.
Relax guy....I was just trying to enlighten you as to why we all think OGUN can pack his bags and move on if we have to lose one of our offensive studs. I totally agree Ogun is good, just as good as Chambers maybe better but he's on our strong side of the ball. We can't afford to lose any offensive players, we actuallly need to get as many as we can. Our highest paid player on offense is/was Jay Fiedler (I'm not sure if he still is). That's pretty sad.

Being that you're so good at doing homework why don't you check how our defense ranked in points allowed/game and then check how many we put up/game and tell me if you think we can afford to lose a guy that put up 66 of those points (4.1 per game;) ).

Superself said:
No it is not more vital to our success. The vital components of our offense is the running back, offensive line and QB...but WRs in this scheme only have to be good...not great. This tells me that Chambers can be replaced.
Miami wins with defense.

Those of you saying that Mixon was a runstopper are totally missing the point. Mixon didn't wake up and say I don't want sacks...I just want to stop the run. As a DE in the NFL you HAVE to do both. More importantly, a DE's job is to get to the QB. No defensive end receives accolades based on his run stopping ability.
Its obvious to me that Trace was a really good DE. I think OGUN is better than that...he has only played what....3 years, which means he should get better at his craft.
Miami will NOT win a superbowl by shortchanging the defense. That is the bottom line.

Miami has NOT won a Super Bowl by focusing on the defensive side of the ball. Trace was a really good pass rusher. If he was a really good DE, he would have played on the non-passing downs. I agree that Wale should get better at his craft. The question is, will he stay healthy? Further, nobody is saying they want him gone, just that they prefer not to lose Chambers in order to keep him.

What point am I missing regarding Mixon? We had a two/three headed DE system at the time, ala WoodStrock. If we had one guy who could do it all, he would have played--like Wale. We didn't, so we improvised. We can do so again. It is harder to do that at WR.

As far as what's vital, or not, that is simply an opinion. However, I submit that a star WR (or 2, or 3?) is vital to our offense. I would agree with you that the way our O has been run thus far, the vital parts are RB, OL and QB. However, my hope/suspicion is that a change is in the wind. It had better be, because what we've been doing has obviously not worked. I'd rather see a 6th ranked defense, combined with an 8th ranked offense resulting in a world championship as opposed to a number 1 defense and an offense that cannot get out of its own way, resulting in another year of no playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom