Kelly Holcolm............ | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kelly Holcolm............

Originally posted by jimmyjam
..........might be available via trade. What is he worth and what do you guys think?

From ohio.com:

Assuming Couch is back, Kelly Holcomb will probably be gone. ``We don't want another Holcomb/Couch thing,'' said the insider. ``I think there would be some strain if they both come back, although they handled everything great last year. Trading Kelly would tell Tim and the fans that we are really committed to him.''

• The Browns would shop for a veteran quarterback to back up Couch. It's possible they could sign someone such as Ricky Ray, who has been a star in Canada. As for drafting a quarterback, that won't happen in the first few rounds. They want to address some needs on the line first.

Maybe we should sign B Griese and trade him to the Browns for Holcomb :rolleyes2 ........

:yikes:

:shakeno:

Marino1983

"Some days he would look good and some days horrible"

Sounds like what we have here already and we don't have to give up a draft pick for it.

Originally posted by Jaj
No he doesn't. His passes hang and he has no touch.

Overall Jay Fiedler is not as good as Holcomb.

Let's clarify this. I'm saying that arm strength is not important once you reach a certain min. level. As proof I offerred the opinion of Miami's OC and the fact that other QBs have success and yet have less arm strength. The obvious conclusion is that their success is due to some other factor, other than arm strength. If you would like to offer some counter argument based on logic we'll continue this.

And I say that in an offense that depends on the deep ball getting the eight guy out of the box you need a guy with a stronger arm than Jay Fiedler.

Marc Bulger has a weaker arm than JF in a similar offense. He has had both success and failure. When he makes good decisions and is accurate, the offense does well. When he doesn't do those things the offense falters. His arm strength is constant.

No he doesn't. Where are you getting that from.

In one of the QB challenges on ESPN. There was one with about four QBs, at least the portion I saw. I know Bulger and Pennington were there. I don't remember the others. They were talking about arm strength and Bulger was joking that he had the weakest arm in the league while the announcers were praising his accuracy and timing. IMO Bulger's arm was slightly stronger than Pennington's, but only barely. The QBs were all throwing the same 4 or 5 passes so it was very easy to compare their respective arm strengths.

Yes but Fiedler doesn't compare to Bulger. His arm is definitely stronger.

No way. Do you think Pennington has a stronger arm than JF? Bulger's was barely stronger than Pennington's. IMO CP is the weakest armed starter in the league. BUlger is just above him and below JF.

I could care less about this competition. When Bulger throws the ball there is zip on it and it is catchable. Maybe when Jay Fiedler throws it his hardest it is stronger than Bulger's touch pass, but it's uncatchable.

It all comes down to accuracy and timing, not arm strength. That's my whole point. JF's failings are due to decision making and accuracy. His arm, while nothing great is strong enough.

The problem with Jay's long ball isn't that he doesn't have enough strength to get the ball there or even that it hangs too long. It's that he never throws it TO the receiver. It's always 5 yards too far or 5 yards too short.

Not saying his arm strength is great, just that it has nothing to do with why he isn't a good QB. Heck, Joe Montana didn't have a great arm. He was accurate as heck though.

Hmm. Chad Pennington doesn't have a great arm but he can make most throws because he's got great mechanics on his throws. Thats sort of how he gets by. Lots of guys have good arms and so they don't always square up and throw properly.

Pennington in college not only improved his weak arm by getting his mechanics fine tuned but he also worked extensively on strength in the arm itself and that helped him get better velocity. I don't think he's got a weaker arm than Jay Fiedler.

The bottom line is any given throw, lets say you've got a WR on an out route with not a whole lot of separation you need to get the ball there fast, the guy I trust to put it in a better spot, and get it there fast enough to be caught and not intercepted, is Chad Pennington. And to me, that means he's got a better arm.

I think CP is way better than JF, but its primarily b/c of his accuracy. He may be the most accurate QB in the league. However, CP's arm strength is way below JF's.

Back
Top Bottom