Kevin Kolb Fins #1 Priority, Dolphins Interested in Kevin Kolb | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kevin Kolb Fins #1 Priority, Dolphins Interested in Kevin Kolb

My point was finding Marino's replacement is a huge task, I don't necessary think we need another Marino. I don't envy New England and Indy fans either this is something they are going to have to deal with as well, soon enough.

In the back of my mind all I can think sometimes is Trent Dilfer won a goddamn Super Bowl. It reminds me that anything is possible in a years time given the right set of events.

Remember, and I have to say this at least once a year...in the past decade two superbowls were won by mediocre quarterbacks, one was the Ravens led by (former first round pick) Trent Dilfer, and the Bucs led by Brad Johnson.

Now what did those two QB have going for them that most mediocre QB's will never have, they had the luxury of having one of the top 3 defenses in THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE. I don't mean just a top 3 defense that season....I mean EVER!

So please stop with the "we don't need an elite QB" thing, because it's just not supported by history.

Your odds of having a top 5 defense ever are much much longer than of you finding an elite playmaking QB.

They missed on Pat White (QB selection), which brings their 2nd round misses on QB's to 2.

The jury is still out but John Jerry over Colt McCoy in rd 3.

Looking at how bad the 2010 draft was at QB, it makes this one look pretty strong actually.

Pat White was a gamble with a pick not a missed pick. White wasn't drafted to be the franchise QB. Henne maybe, White no.

But this wasn't the question asked the statement was made that there were many available options at QB to Miami that were passed on and I asked who?

Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy last year are just as unproven as anyone, in 2009 the next QB taken after Pat White was Stephen McGee??? and in 2008 other then potentially taking Ryan Flacco Miami instead took Long and Henne and in fact Henne is still the third most productive member of that draft class in terms of QB's taken.

In fact since 2006 only a hand full of QB's have done anything at all in NFL: Cutler, Ryan, Flacco and that's about it. Others have had flashes of brilliance but nothing sustained. 3 out of 61 drafted QB's since 06.

Finatic, I also think you should give an appropriate warning regarding the sources you post. The sources of these 2 tweets have exactly ZERO insight into the inner workings of the Dolphins organization. A headline like this should only be reserved for local beat writers or national experts, not part-time bloggers with a tweet.

Remember, and I have to say this at least once a year...in the past decade two superbowls were won by mediocre quarterbacks, one was the Ravens led by (former first round pick) Trent Dilfer, and the Bucs led by Brad Johnson.

Now what did those two QB have going for them that most mediocre QB's will never have, they had the luxury of having one of the top 3 defenses in THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE. I don't mean just a top 3 defense that season....I mean EVER!

So please stop with the "we don't need an elite QB" thing, because it's just not supported by history.

Your odds of having a top 5 defense ever are much much longer than of you finding an elite playmaking QB.

Where did I ever state "we don't need an elite QB" thing??? In fact I have started about twenty treads on your very point about Baltimore and finding balance my friend.

What I said was finding Marino's replacement is a monumental task and that we do not need Dan Marino part 2.
What I also said was given the right set of events you can win in other ways.

What I did not say was stop looking for a QB because Henne or anyone else on the roster is the answer.

And remember Tom Brady only made it to the Super Bowl when his defense were giving up 17ppg or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Kolb is our number priority that goes right in line with the rest of the offseason so far.

remember the people on this board that said Pat White was a much better prospect than Mike Vick
For serious? There must be some sort of brain fever epidemic among these forums. Or we're the official homepage of the nation's asylums.

U don't need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. I mean how many of these guys were considered "elite" when they won . . . Peyton Manning/Drew Brees . . . that is about it in recent years. Brady wasn't elite until he won, Big Ben wasn't elite until he won . . . some may say Eli is struggling to be a top 10 QB right now, and was more of a name than anything else when he won. Dilfer, Johnson, both more of the game manager types.

U do however need a good/great defense . . . and I think that has been proven throughout history. Even the teams that gave up alot of points . . . the Saints last year come to mind . . . make plays on defense . . . and I think they were leading the league in creating turnovers. Pittsburgh and the Patriots had great defenses when they won, so did the Giants.

Miami needs QB competition this season, but they aren't good enough to overpay for anybody. I think they already have 2 guys in Henne and Brandenster . . . they will draft a guy and they need to figure out something between Thigpen/Pennington/FA/trade . . . 4 guys need to be in camp competing to start this year. I truthfully believe they have a better chance of solving the QB position next year and trading that first for maybe a 2nd this year and a first next year could go a long way into getting the more ideal option at QB. With that 2nd they can get that speed/deep threat . . . grab a guy like Kaepernick or Yates after that to compete this season . . . and come back next year with 2 first rounders into a draft that highlights Luck, Barkley, Nick Foles, Landry Jones, Brandon Weeden and a few others.

Fix these little leaks this season . . . the interior oline, speed at WR and RB . . . and next year do EVERYTHING possible to get your franchise QB in the draft. I mean it is almost a must scenario. You get another year to look at Henne under a new OC and see how a rookie does . . . and you fix a few more issues . . . and then next year you can choose from what appears/is to be a MUCH stronger QB class.

remember the people on this board that said Pat White was a much better prospect than Mike Vick

I remember that less than the people on this board who swore up and down that Cam Wake could never make it in the NFL. :tongue:

Grove was a total BUST of a FA move b/c for comparable money, we could've had Jason Brown who signed with STL. He was younger, healthier and better! We paid Grove instead - knowing he was injury prone and then cut him for being - you guessed it - injury prone! That's stupid GM'ing.

Incognito sucks. Period.

We overpaid for Marshall.

The credit for Dansby goes to Ross for being willing to spend the $. Every GM in the NFL wanted him.

Wake was the best move by Ireland/Tuna by far.

Misi and Sean Smith and Polite have been just so-so.

Long and Vontae are great players but cost us Matt Ryan and Clay Mathews respectively.

Langford and Starks were good moves. Henne sucks and Penny was a stop gap that fell into their laps.

Nolan also fell into their lap b/c Josh McDaniels is a total focking idiot - maybe worse than Ireland.

Special Teams and the offensive coordinating (if you can call it that) have been inexcusable!

Overall, color me unimpressed. I don't think we've seen enough positives to justify the extension for Ireland.

Grove and Incognito are not busts - Grove was a necessary evil and a product of the shifting tendencies of the AFC East defenses. Grove was brought in because of his play against Wilfork, Jenkins, Stroud etc.. the injuries were a risk but regardless of what many thought here on finheaven Samson Satele was not the long term answer at C, he was just undersized with the beef in the AFC East.

Incognito is a solid guard being used in an unsolid manor. He is not built to pull on 40% of the rushing plays, he is a big man built to move **** straight ahead and out of the way. I have no idea why the hell Henning decided to get bigger on the line and then start pulling guards and tackles?? It is the same philosophy as sending the infantry around the flank and the Cavalry for the straight on attack, it just doesn't work.

You have to remember this regime also brought in Marshal, Dansby, Wake, Misi, Davis, Smith, Long, Bess, Polite, Langford, Starks, Henne, Pennington and most importantly snatched Nolan from Denver. That's half the starting roster and a top 5 defensive coordinator and this wasn't all BP's doing, don't be a fool on that one. Jeff can judge talent but when your franchise pretty much set the standard for modern QB play in the 80's and 90's the task is epic to find that replacement.

I sooo don't want Kolb on this team next year. Why can't we just draft a Qb like Locker instead of giving away a draft pick for a medcore player. Hope this rumor is sooo false.

I'll bet those Eagles fans are fist pumping like Tony Sparano on crystal meth at just the thought of their FO duping Ireland out of our 1st round pick for Kolb.

I listen to talk radio in Philly every day and there is a bit of mixed emotion. For the speculation of a 1st round pick for Kolb, there hasn't been one Eagles fan that was against it. I would probably say the same around speculation of just a 2nd round pick. No big surprise there when you have Vick as your starter. There are people who believe Kolb can be a franchise QB and there are those individuals that belive Kolb is nothing more then a good back-up. In the end, if the Eagles get any more then a 2nd rounder for him (and they won't trade him for any less) then whoever makes that deal got duped. You are better off taking a chance on someone in the draft and hoping to catch lightining in a bottle.

I sooo don't want Kolb on this team next year. Why can't we just draft a Qb like Locker instead of giving away a draft pick for a medcore player. Hope this rumor is sooo false.

I take Locker over Kolb . . . but that is if you are willing to work on Locker and have him sit for a year. Kolb probably gives u more of a benefit right now . . . but I am sure he isn't an upgrade over Henne . . . and at the price of a first round pick, they are out of there minds.

Ideally . . . I wouldn't mind trading down, picking up a 2nd . . . and taking a Locker/T. Smith combo with those first 2 picks.

Back
Top Bottom