Khalil Mack Anyone?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mike_vee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. mike_vee

mike_vee Seasoned Veteran

i would trade next years 1st for him. he would totally change our defence to be a top 5 in the NFL.

2. bakerbakerthetdmaker

bakerbakerthetdmaker Banned Hammered

if we can move Branch and Kiko off the books, sure

sinPHIN, foozool13 and gerblack like this.
  3. Batroc

Batroc The Anti-Fistpumper

It's nice to think about, but not gonna happen. Gruden would be chased out of town with pitchforks lol.

artdnj, susser2000 and gerblack like this.
  4. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

A defensive player is going to change our defense to a top 5 unit?

What year am I in....did my time machine work?

[​IMG]

Delsolar16 and tazthenomad like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

Regardless of Gruden speaking with him or not, OAK/LV is not letting him go. Not a chance in hell.

6. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami should be the last team thinking about acquiring him.

Give up a first round pick and a contract exceeding 20 million AAV?

Lmao

7. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

You mean the town they’re leaving in two years regardless? :wink

8. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Even if we gave up huge draft capital, how do we fit him under the cap? Unless you want a 6 month rental?

9. mike_vee

IDK, i'm not a cap guru, but if they could have fit Suh in the cap they would be able to figure out how to fit Mack in.

10. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I would be lying if I didn't say I've been thinking about this for a little while. Hard not to to want that dude on your team.

If you consider the 13.3% (or close to) California state income tax, it makes perfect sense what he's doing. Remember how much more money the Raiders had to offer Suh than we did, and he still would've made more in Florida on a smaller contract.

Gruden apparently deferred a lot of his money to when the Raiders move to Nevada which also doesn't have a state income tax, so Mack wants to do the same thing.

Only way we could make it happen would be to dump 2 of Alonso, McDonald or Branch on Oakland. Along with a 2019 first and fourth. Likely would need a 2020 2nd as well to actually get Oakland to move arguably the most feared pass rusher in football.

It WON'T happen because someone would offer a king's ransom for the dude, unlikely to be us.

It COULD happen because Miami has a young team and is about a year away from dumping quite few unnecessary contracts and has a young roster built primarily by recent draft picks on rookie contracts.

It WON'T happen because he's Khalil Mack. You don't just acquire guys like that.

It COULD happen if Khalil Mack happened to really want to be in Miami.

It WON'T happen because Jon Gruden isn't stupid.

To sum up, it COULD happen but it WON'T.

For the record though, if Miami traded their first rounder in 2019 for Mack, it would end up being pick #32.

I would love to swap our 2019 for Oakland's 2019 2nd rounder as part of the deal. You could almost include anything you want after that. It's possible we would end up swapping pick 32 for a pick in the 34-38 range.

I'm bored.

Mack/Quinn/Harris/Wake......could set a new single season sack record.

miami365 and Pat-London like this.
  11. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Can't. Already trading for Roquan Smith.

12. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

My Madden senses are tingling ...

JK obviously this type of deal could have legs, but we are not in a position to handle that type of contract or auction off our draft resources.

13. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

You're more than just bored if you think we win the SB this year.

This might play in the Phins favor actually. Many teams and reports have us as one of the three worst teams in the NFL. If we make a play on that alone, other teams may see us as excellent trade bait as they'll think we would be giving a top five pick for someone they cannot sign.

14. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Florida guy who gives back to his home town (Fort Pierce)

Would definitely give us a legit talent for life after Wake.

40.5 sacks in 4 years.

I would just wait till next offseason. Doubt the Raiders move him now. If they don't want him longterm(for what ever reason) then they would franchise him and probably shop him like we did Landry. Except his price tag would be higher.
    2019 draft class is loaded with DL talent. See where the Dolphins land in the draft and go from there.

finitis23 and foozool13 like this.
  15. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I think adding Mack puts Miami in the conversation for most talented overall AFC roster. I don't think there would be a pass rushing/secondary combination more feared in the NFL.

With the luck needed to play a part in any teams title aspirations, you can only put yourself in the mix of teams capable.

This isn't the NBA. Golden State's don't exist in the NFL.

16. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

I think the best chance Miami has for trading is now. Once the season starts and we start winning games, our chances get lower. Now other teams think we will pick top three. We need to use that as an advantage. getting a top three pick is a huge incentive for these teams to want to get that pick. They may be able to get a player they feel has the talent of Mack at only a fraction of the cost. Mack would easily replace Wake in the future and give us a great DE combo with Harris and others.

17. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I wasn't even aware that he was from Florida. Just read up on his high school background and his path to U of Buffalo makes more sense. He was primarily a basketball player and actually a QB before giving up on b-ball to become a LB his senior year. Some of you probably already knew this.

Clearly would've went to a bigger school had he been playing LB earlier.

Certainly not getting my hopes up in the slightest. Too many moving parts to complete this type of deal right now. If they were serious about it, it would've happen before the draft or like you said, leading up to next year's draft. (although they would in theory lose the value of 1 prime year played in their compensation)

If he winds up playing pro football in Florida, TB would more than likely be that spot as they could really use some pass rush help.

John813 likes this.
  18. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I am curious to know if you guys (who like me don't mind wasting their time with meaningless speculation) would offer more for Mack or Roquan Smith. In a hypothetical situation.

Roquan Smith could reach his full potential and not have the impact of Mack. But Mack is 6 years, 2 months older and will be making CONSIDERABLY more money.

I don't think the Bears need to entertain the thought of trading Smith as it's a different situation than Mack's. Eventually whatever hold ups there are with guarantees will be ironed out. But for now, he's officially a hold out and officially part of this unofficial trade speculation.

Certainly this is an example of an apples to oranges comparison.

Smith is a better scheme fit, much younger and would cost about a 1/3 the money over the next half decade.

Mack is Mack. He's in a conversation with guys like A. Donald, V.Miller and a pre-injury TJ Watt. HOFers. That said, he's a better fit for a 3-4 team.

I like the team we have, I love the way the needs have been addressed and non needs have been bolstered. Seems like the chemistry isn't something I'd necessarily want to F-with either. But it is a business, no player would complain about adding talent (except maybe the player(s) involved in the deal).

So, to make it perfectly clear, I'm both for and against either potential trade.

19. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

My goodness it's nice to dream.

Not many defensive player's I'd want over Mack. I remember hoping upon hope that we would trade up for him on draft day.

Won't happen, but man I wish it would.

20. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

We cant draft anyway so yes ill do that

21. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

It's 2018 dude.

This was a more common theme with previous regime's. If the current brain trust can keep pulling names like Tunsil, Drake and Howard out of the first and second rounds they can stay in charge for as long as they'd like if you ask me.

If Leonte Carroo is our big draft mishap, we will be just fine.

I want the guys responsible for drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick and Mike Gesicki to keep their jobs for life.

BSQ, 1 dol fan and andyahs like this.
  22. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Can't believe you had to explain that. Our drafts are much improved.

23. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Yes we did ok lately but not one player you named is near Mack level. Dude is a freak and hands down the best. I dont care who our #1 pick will be next year. Wont develope to be a wreaking machine like Mack. Are LB,s is probably a top 28 unit.. We have a million what ifs there

24. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Honestly, I don't want to even be in a position to draft a Mack or V.Miller.

The people responsible for Dion Jordan are all gone, except maybe Stephen Ross if you want to hold him accountable for that selection feel free. The rest of us have moved on. Ross tried to tell Adam Gase what to do during the draft and the coach told him to basically sit down and STFU.

25. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

I'd nut on myself if we acquired Mack

finitis23 and artdnj like this.
  26. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I hate giving up a future 1st round picks for a Vet, that's not a QB, but if this were to happen, and I was in charge, I would probably hurt myself in how fast I would agree to it...AND HEY!!! Miami is supposed to suck this year, so I guess that would mean the Raiders would get a top 5 pick. Right? ;):biggrin

27. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

I agree our drafts have improved but by how much is yet to be determined. Ultimately the quality of a teams drafts is reflected on the field.

28. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Would you give up a #1 next year and Harris? That might get the conversation going.

29. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Yeah I’m in. Let’s keep making splashy/expensive dumb arse moves. Eventually we’ll have the #1 overall pick.

30. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

We have absolutely no business acting like we are one player away. Until the team shows they belong with the top dogs, no more mortgaging the future.

gunn34 and superphin like this.
  31. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

I wouldn't completely dismiss it as some are doing....it is possible imo although its gotta be a very small chance.

Would be an amazing way to start the year though.....Id go buy his jersey right away probably lol can't beat a jersey with "mack" on the back

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  32. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

tay, nailed it. If we're going to move heaven and earth to bring in a player it must be a QB. Did we learn nothing with the expensive, failed Suh experiment? Spend the biggest money on the biggest game changer.

gunn34 and superphin like this.
  33. Bowzer

Bowzer Active Member

But... “knock on wood” what if Tanny got hurt again this year.. and we had no 1st round pick?

34. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

send them Osweiller and a 4th. He's had a great camp.

35. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

That would be the risk you take and surely the scenario the Raiders would like to see happen, in a theoretical situation of course.

I am fairly certain my best offer to Oakland for a trade and Mack for a contract would both get rebuked so i am not pretending this could happen.

36. mike_vee

i would agree with what you just said about Suh or any DT. but a LB/DE would change the whole D. and usually a defence needs a building block and that would be one hell of a block to build on if we had Mack.
    i think we all can remember that we had a pretty darn good D when we had Zach Thomas playing LB. who else did we have that you can say was oh my god good? Jason Taylor? ok we have Wake, Jones, and Howard. my point is if we had a game changing LB like Mack we would definitely be a top 5 defence. are we one player away? maybe not but one player like Mack would definitely speed the process up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM
  37. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

I would go with roquan with our D. the kid is a stud. and doesn't cost as much.... yet

38. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

You don't run a top tier DT from Davie and then replace it with a DE. Either your program is about building, youth and depth...or it isn't.

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Problem is we are still paying Suh under the cap 9 mill this year and another 13 million next year.