Kiper Comments on Dolphins in 4/23 Draft Chat | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper Comments on Dolphins in 4/23 Draft Chat

ncdolfan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Kiper got a question on the Dolphins during his audio chat (finally, about 52-53 minutes into 59 minute chat). He was asked just his general impressions of what the Dolphins should do in the first round.

His thoughts are that Dolphins need a RT - he does not believe in either McIntosh (injury) or St. Clair as starter material. He would go with Shawn Andrews above all others if he is available.

Kiper thinks that if Andrews is not available, Dolphins should shift to WR - guy he spoke most of is Michael Clayton. He thinks adding a 3rd WR would alleviate a lot of pressure on Ricky Williams and thinks Clayton would be a great fit with Chambers and Boston as all three would be options in the red zone. He thinks with those 3 WRs and McMichael would force defenses to play Dolphins more honest and therefore give Williams more room to run and Feeley more of a chance to succeed.

Can't wait to see how tomorrow unfolds.

I completely agree with Kiper for a change!! Ive been boosting Clayton up since the season ended and i would LOVE to see him in a dolphin jersey, but i would be happy with Andrews too even though i dont know much about him. We really need O-Line work but i would prefer to get vets in for that instead of rookies. You never know with rookies, they are always hit or miss and with the Oline.. i would rather have someone that is somewhat proven. With WRs on the other hand, they are not AS hit and miss (yes i know they still are very much so) but it is more likely of a WR contributing his first year and making a difference than a Olineman. JMO though.

I love how he says we dont have a starting RT but if Andrews is gone we should add another stud WR..... I just cant get this logic, if the OL cant block it will not matter how good the recieving core is Feely cant throw from his back. If Andrews is gone we need to trade down and get Carey. He can play RT until McIntosh is healthy then move to RG. If we do this we add another pick too and in a draft this deep there will be good value in round three.

Look at Pitt in 2002 when the OL blocked, the WR's all looked like Pro Bowlers and Maddox looked like a savior. Last year Maddox couldnt get enough time to do ANYTHING, and now they are picking 11. The OL will open up both the running game and the passing game when it is good. When it is bad its going to be a LONG game for all involved.

I'm sorry but this is not Madden football. You just can't have Carey move from Right Tackle to Guard. Either its gold or its not, he needs to play one position that he can build a foundation out of for a year. I think that by signing macintosh, the dolphins made a huge mistake.

Carey has played both positions in college. He is one of the very few that I think can pull it off thats why if Andrews is gone I think he is our guy.

The reason Kiper said that we should go WR if Andrews is gone is the fact that he feels the other linemen are not worth taking at 20. I think we might move down and go for Snee unless Smiley is there at the end of round 1.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
The reason Kiper said that we should go WR if Andrews is gone is the fact that he feels the other linemen are not worth taking at 20. I think we might move down and go for Snee unless Smiley is there at the end of round 1.

Ozzy rules!!

I am not for moving down. Yes we need o-line, but if Andrews is gone there will be a very good WR available. There is also a chance that a great LB is available with the possobillity of Vilma or DJ Williams being available. I won't be pissed if we pick Andrews, Vilma, DJ Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Woods, or Carey. Any other pick would be to far of a stretch, or if we go after another postions it could be a big mistake as well.

I really don't see us takeing a LB.If we do it'd be Vilam and not DJ imo.I'd be happy with Evans.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny said:
I really don't see us takeing a LB.If we do it'd be Vilam and not DJ imo.I'd be happy with Evans.

Ozzy rules!!

We have no depth at LB. Our starting SAM shouldn't be a starter, and Zach and Seau aren't exactly in their prime. Zach goes down, and we are in huge trouble.

I just want it to happen already so we can commence the second guessing and Super Bowl posts already, that should ride us into mini-camp and then we will have enough to talk about until training camp, preseason etc. :lol:

Going with a WR at #20 makes sense on 2 fronts:

1) Gives you solid depth and a legit 3rd option

and

2) Hedges against potential loss of Chambers to FA after the season

Problem:

QB's cannot throw from their backs and the right side of the OL will be a HUGE problem even if McIntosh is able to play

Dajesus said:
We have no depth at LB. Our starting SAM shouldn't be a starter, and Zach and Seau aren't exactly in their prime. Zach goes down, and we are in huge trouble.

Is Eddie Moore a bust because he got injured in his first year? Brendon Ayanbedejo over the hill at 26? Corey Jenkins a project worthy of only special teams?

We may miss a step without Zach but there is depth at the LB position.

Zod, I wouldn't call Brendon and Jenkins depth, but would much rather see us go WR or OL than LB, however, it would not surprise me because RS has already said that this draft is very deep in WR. If Andrews is gone, Carey is not the answer nor is he worth a 20 pick. There is quite a dropoff in talent from Andrews to Carey. I would like us to take Smiley though, most pro teams won't draft a guard at 20. So, IF Vilma is sitting there at #20, they might pull the plug. I also think that DT is a possiblity at #20 (Starks or Dockett)...we have lots of options....I won't be surprised with any pick other than CB or RB.

LarryFinFan said:
Zod, I wouldn't call Brendon and Jenkins depth

You wouldn't have called Tommy Hendricks depth last year neither. I know I didn't.

The days of quality depth sitting on the bench are over.

All you have sitting there is potential.

Back
Top Bottom