Kiper Gets Slammed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper Gets Slammed

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ok gotta love PFT sometimes:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SCOUTS SCOFF AT NFL WRITERS

One thing to keep in mind as every writer who ever has used the words "foot" and "ball" in the same sentence breaks down the 2004 draft is that none of us are truly qualified to do so.

And that's why you won't see us ever assigning grades or rankings to teams following the draft.

As one league insider explained to us on Monday, the media generally doesn't know what it's talking about when it comes to the evaluating NFL talent.

"I don't remember the last time a sports writer spent millions on scouting a football player," the source said. "They spend $15.95 on draft books by [Mel] Kiper or Pro Football Weekly and think they have all the answers. What they fail to realize is Kiper and the kid from Pro Football Weekly have never scouted a game in their lives. They get info from scouts and the only info they get is what scouts want to tell them. They have no idea about medical information or character information, which is huge in the evaluation process.

"It always amuses me when I read their reports because they know less than 25 percent of what the average scout knows. Yet the press use their books as expert opinions and even steal some of those reports when they give an opinion about a player. In short, they have no clue and never will."

Ouch.

But the guy is right. Kiper is no scout. Peter King is no scout. Chris Mortensen is no scout.

Scouts spend months reviewing film and talking to coaches and criss-crossing the country scrutinizing blue-chippers and searching for hidden gems.

The reward for a job well done? They get to do it all over again.

So we've got a ton of respect for the guys who spend their time doing this, and we'll never pretend to have a fraction of the knowledge that they possess. Instead, we (and all NFL writers) use what they choose to give us -- and unlike guys such as Kiper, we don't pretend to have all the answers.

That's precisely the point Bill Tobin was making ten years ago when he said that Kiper has no more credentials to criticize draft picks than Tobin's postman.

And that's why Tobin's words struck a nerve with Kiper that day.

All the more reason for us not to get to down or to excited about who we fradted. Most of us have never seen most of these guys play and we have no particular skill in evaluating the one's we have.

The only pick of ours that I've watched somewhat regularly is Carey who I never really liked. But, I'm not creaming about the pick. I've been wrong before, and lets hope I'm wrong now.

Kiper predicted more players in the top 100 than any other national publication that covered the draft. He also had the most accurate Mock draft of any publication. Say what you want about him, but he is the one of the best at what he does.

At a time of the year when everyone is overrating and underating people, I think that Mel Kiper Jr. is the most OVERRATED person on the face of the earth. NOBODY has done more with less talent. I do give him credit for carving a nice little living for himself though.

Surferosa said:
Kiper predicted more players in the top 100 than any other national publication that covered the draft. He also had the most accurate Mock draft of any publication. Say what you want about him, but he is the one of the best at what he does.

Actually Mel Kiper was 2nd.

Top 100 Mock Draft Comparison

Just FYI!

Surferosa said:

Kiper actually came in second in terms of the mock draft accuracy. NFLDraftCountDown beat him out for that honor.

I need to grade mine.

SMadison29 said:
Kiper actually came in second in terms of the mock draft accuracy. NFLDraftCountDown beat him out for that honor.

I need to grade mine.

Link is posted above!

I was not knocking Mel in any way - he was just an average guy who has turned his knowledge of NFL talent into a business.

Lucky Bastard!

BigFinFan said:
I was not knocking Mel in any way - he was just an average guy who has turned his knowledge of NFL talent into a business.

Lucky Bastard!

Sure is. :yell: :( :lol:

Back
Top Bottom