Kiper Releases Initial Big Board for 2014 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper Releases Initial Big Board for 2014

I undersold Dumervil. He did indeed have 23 TFLs as I recalled, but 21 of them were Sacks. I'd forgotten about that. Incredible. And indeed I believe he had 11 forced fumbles. That's a pretty good ratio (2:1). Normal ratio of sacks to fumbles is about 4:1.

I said that if you're plugging Roosevelt Nix in at defensive TACKLE there's a good chance he's unrosterable. Defensive end is a question mark. A "complete projection" as you put it.

And if your insinuation is that Roosevelt Nix is more valuable than Aaron Donald, I'll take that bet every time.

In what way? Nix is more valuable to his team's success without a doubt. Kent St. was a top 10 defense his freshman season because he was that dominant of a player. They're not a top 20 defense 2 of the last 3 years without Roosevelt Nix.

Aaron Donald has a tremendous impact for his team defensively, although Nix's impact for his team is simply more significant. Kent St. can't recruit like Pittsburgh.

Khalil Mack is the only other defender in the MAC who has that type of impact for his team.

In what way? Nix is more valuable to his team's success without a doubt. Kent St. was a top 10 defense his freshman season because he was that dominant of a player. They're not a top 20 defense 2 of the last 3 years without Roosevelt Nix.

Aaron Donald has a tremendous impact for his team defensively, although Nix's impact for his team is simply more significant. Kent St. can't recruit like Pittsburgh.

Khalil Mack is the only other defender in the MAC who has that type of impact for his team.

You just put Aaron Donald in your Tier 1 of defensive tackles while Roosevelt Nix remains in your Tier 2. What exactly are you disagreeing with here? Or are you being disagreeable for its own sake?

You just put Aaron Donald in your Tier 1 of defensive tackles while Roosevelt Nix remains in your Tier 2. What exactly are you disagreeing with here? Or are you being disagreeable for its own sake?

You have to provide something for me to disagree with first. I just asked you what you meant by Donald being more valuable. That has several different potential meanings... I picked the one that made the most sense. If that's not how you meant it, then clarify.

Furthermore, value to your team doesn't necessarily mean more talented, nor does it automatically mean less talented. Jordan Rodgers was more valuable to his team's success than Justin Hunter was to his.... but I graded Hunter as a better prospect. Obviously.

The point is that I have Donald and Nix graded fairly closely in terms of prospects than you do. Just let it be. We'll find out.

For the record I meant valuable as in he carries more value for the NFL. I do consider that a proxy for 'talented'.

Louis Nix would be a nice addition especially if Starks leaves.

[video=youtube;9Xgv6-G8SUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xgv6-G8SUk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is relevant in here.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...y-excited-about-the-maturation-of-aaron-lynch

Willie Taggart is selling Aaron Lynch pretty hard. I'd accuse him of just looking out for his own, but Willie's getting a reputation here for being a pretty straight shooter. He didn't have to turn this entire Q&A into one big Aaron Lynch commercial. He chose to do that.

He alludes to many of the same things I've noted about Lynch. At Notre Dame, the reputation off the field wasn't good. It also wasn't good here at USF in 2012 with the mandated year off. Taggart heard all about that. But he seems to have gotten through to the kid a little bit.

As I said, he looked to me like he'd lost a ton of weight. He went from 270 lbs at Notre Dame on the film there to this spring playing at around 235 lbs. That's a big difference and it's a testament to his lack of focus during his year off. At Notre Dame he was a guy that was outside/inside flexible. So far from what I've seen at South Florida he looks more like a guy that is up/down flexible but I haven't seen the inside use yet. Perhaps they're waiting for him to get back up to between 250 and 260 lbs to start using him inside a little more.

At Notre Dame I didn't like the consistency in how he came off the ball, got too upright a lot. I still saw that problem during spring ball. They also rushed him from an up position and it seemed like he was kind of jack-starting a little from an up position. He needs to improve these things and generally play with better pad level.

But the fact that Taggart is selling him so hard off the field from a character and work ethic standpoint is a great sign. If he keeps it up, it would remove probably the largest overhang on his draft stock.

Taggart is one of the most underrated coaches in the country. I talked about this some last year. I even mentioned him as the guy that Kentucky should've gone after. He's an SEC caliber coach on the rise. He stresses the fundamentals and is extremely detail oriented. His teams play a disciplined and physical brand of football. He'll have USF winning Big-East titles in 2 years. Falls in line with a Charlie Strong type.

I actually read some of his notes from coach's meetings he had with his staff in preperation for the Alabama game last year. I was extremely impressed with his ability to diagnose the weaknesses on film regarding some of the talent on our offensive line. It's not a coincidence that Quanterus Smith had 3 sacks vs. Fluker. A lot of that is credited to Coach Taggart, and I'll leave it at that.

As for Lynch, he'll be a top 15 pick if he declares early. If he declares, it's because he had a tremendous season to begin with. If he had a tremendous season, he's going to be drafted high based purely on his immense talent. Maturing a little bit between the ears typically goes a long ways for kids this talented. He's in my 2nd tier of underclassman pass rushers even with the off-field issues... .and that's not really a knock. Clowney is just that special. Lynch is a freak, and was a good player early for Notre Dame. There ain't many like him that I see in college football.

Just for reference, get ready for a kid from Missouri by the name of Kony Ealy. He's one of the few that I see in Aaron Lynch's class in terms of size, length, speed, explosiveness, and insane athletic ability. The college football world doesn't know who this kid is yet, but they will in about 5 months. This is a kid that looks like he's ready to explode the way I figured Carradine would last year.

Just watch some film if you get a chance. I think you'll like what you see.

I've actually been looking pretty hard for as much as I can of Kony specifically because of some things I'd heard. I've got several games on the way. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom