Kiper suggests Phins interested in AJ McCarron | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper suggests Phins interested in AJ McCarron

McCarron is fine until he's pressured. He drops his eye level and becomes fixated on the rush instead of having his eyes downfield. Never was this more evident than the last game of his career against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. He'll even feel phantom pressure that isn't there if he's not throwing in rhythm.

He doesn't escape the pocket to extend plays because he's merely average athletically. His first instinct when feeling pressure or thrown off his rhythm is to throw it in the 3rd row of the stadium... which is fine if you want a game manager. That's exactly what he is. McCarron's best quality physically is his arm... and it's not exceptional. Even Kevin Norwood misjudged a deep ball from Derek Carr in the Senior Bowl because McCarron usually underthrows that exact route.

Long story short, A.J. may very well go in the first 3 rounds... but I think it's too high. I think he's 4th round talent based on his body of work and semi-NFL caliber arm, and the fact that the NFL is a QB friendly league.

David Fales, Garropolo, Derek Carr, Aaron Murray, and Zach Mettenberger are all a good notch above McCarron as an NFL prospect among the Senior class in my opinion.

McCarron has virtually zero indicators of future elite talent. I see zero point in drafting a kid whose ceiling is lower than the floor of your starting QB. If that's how high we are aiming as a team then it's no wonder we're an 8-8 team.

Better to take a chance on a guy who might turn into something special. Fales is intriguing, though I wouldn't draft a QB that high this year. 2 guys I like a lot (and I might be tempted to get both) are Brett Smith of Wisconsin and Casey Pachall of TCU. Smith will be a mid-rounder but with a huge upside and Pachall probably a UDFA, after his drug issues and patchy performances when he came back. But the talent is there and a rookie minimum PS slot is a pretty cheap price to find out how much talent.

Matt Moore would be my first cut of the offseason.

I haven't heard Smith to be that high a pick. Third rd seems to be where I've seen him top out. I could see Smith or Jeff Mathews of Cornell getting taken as a backup/project.

yeah his kryptonite is how he handles pressure...very poorly...oklahoma game a perfect example of just that...

McCarron's duck and cover against Oklahoma was surprising. I hadn't detected that flaw until they fell behind in that game. Even on the final possession it was pathetic, all but surrendering a timid turnover deep in your own territory when there was still sufficient time remaining.

Interesting.

McCarron is a winner and is on my short list of QBs Id like the Phins to draft. Aaron Murray is my sleeper who I feel could be one of the top QBs in this draft and he isnt being projected to go as early as Johnny Football or McCarron. I would love to see the Phins take one or two of them.

Skov at LB in round 1 and McCarron or Murray in later rounds would be incredible.

If that means we get to see Katherine Webb have sex with Lauren Tannehill somewhere I'm all for it.

I haven't heard Smith to be that high a pick. Third rd seems to be where I've seen him top out. I could see Smith or Jeff Mathews of Cornell getting taken as a backup/project.

Think we're agreeing, I said he'd be a mid rounder...

McCarron's duck and cover against Oklahoma was surprising. I hadn't detected that flaw until they fell behind in that game. Even on the final possession it was pathetic, all but surrendering a timid turnover deep in your own territory when there was still sufficient time remaining.

McCarron and Tannehill are actually quite similar. I would say Tannehill runs better and McCarron has more guts and poise in a big spot.

McCarron and Tannehill are actually quite similar. I would say Tannehill runs better and McCarron has more guts and poise in a big spot.

When has McCarron shown "guts and poise" in a big spot?

Maybe I could understand an interest in him in the mid to late rounds; now, interest in his gf or mother is something I cannot blame Hickey for at all. I wouldn't mind give them hickies.

If Miami were to take AJ, it would royally suck for him, because 1st, that would mean he was actually taken after the 4th round, and 2nd, it would mean he was drafted to exclusively to compete for the backup position.

Back
Top Bottom