Knight's terms | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Knight's terms

DannyNoonan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
from espn.com:

"Knight agreed to a two-year, $2.38 million contract that included a $300,000 signing bonus."

If that's minimum (for him) salary this year @ $530k, that will leave a $1.5 million salary for next year. Cap figures will be $830k this year and $1.8 million next year. That's more expensive than I'd thought he'd be.

A little higher, but still much lower than a player with his stats should command. How much are we paying a year for our CB's who have lower stats than Knight or even Marion for that matter?

That's great news! He signed for more than one year, that's awesome. If we can re-sign Freeman than we'll have our Safties for next year as well and if Bell can recover in two years, he can start the year after Knight leaves.

He didn't get anywhere near what Tebucky Jones did and he makes just as many plays him.

Great News!

We have upgraded an already great secondary and our depth is far better than last year

Plus, if he has a good year, they may be able to sign him to an extention and the money could be more, but the cap for each year could be less. LIke 5 years 6 million is less than 1 at 1.8

Originally posted by DannyNoonan
from espn.com:

"Knight agreed to a two-year, $2.38 million contract that included a $300,000 signing bonus."

If that's minimum (for him) salary this year @ $530k, that will leave a $1.5 million salary for next year. Cap figures will be $830k this year and $1.8 million next year. That's more expensive than I'd thought he'd be.

your math is not very good. if it is the min this year at $530k that leaves next year $1.55 mil and cap figures of $680k and $1.7

what I would think is this, if he does well this year and will remain a starter that we would extend/renogiciate his contract. otherwise we cut him and suffer a $150k cap hit next year.
Not too bad in my opinion.

Originally posted by DannyNoonan
from espn.com:

Super Bowls do cost money!!! LOL!!

Re: Re: Knight's terms

Originally posted by gottahavefootba

your math is not very good. if it is the min this year at $530k that leaves next year $1.55 mil and cap figures of $680k and $1.7

what I would think is this, if he does well this year and will remain a starter that we would extend/renogiciate his contract. otherwise we cut him and suffer a $150k cap hit next year.
Not too bad in my opinion.

In the words of Ed McMahon, "you are correct, sir!" My bad...just too early in the morning for me, I guess. $680k and $1.7 million for his cap figures looks correct if his salary is the min this year.

So, if Knight replaces our 51st highest cap figure (figuring around, what, $300k for that now?), this signing reduces our room under the cap by $380k. How much room do we have under the cap at this point?

Who wears #25 on our team? 25 could work, it would remind me of Louis Oliver ;D.

I like this quote..
''We want him here,'' Wannstedt said. ``There's not a harder-hitting safety in the NFL.

Yeaaaaaaaaaa boooooyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :bling:

Signing a pro bowl talent to a contrat that gives only a $300,000 signing bonus is grand larceny. Way for Spielman to show some patience. I hope this is a lesson to all those Phin fans that panicked after one week of free agency.

More good news - If for whatever reason Sammy doesnt pan out, we can release him next year with a paltry $150,000 cap hit. Talk about reducing risks....Plus, hes only 27. Good work FO.

Like I said before, welcome the new and improved Louis Oliver baby.

The only thing we worry about is the $300K bonus. It doesn't matter what his base is this year or next. The $300K is the only thing that counts towards our cap if he is released. And if it's all on this year's salary, then we owe nothing next year.

Originally posted by Muck
The only thing we worry about is the $300K bonus. It doesn't matter what his base is this year or next. The $300K is the only thing that counts towards our cap if he is released. And if it's all on this year's salary, then we owe nothing next year.

Actually...we would owe 150k.

I haven't seen the salaries released yet, but I wouldn't worry about the 2nd year. That number will not come to fruition, IMO.

If you recall the talk about a week ago, Wannstedt was saying that if Knight would sign for one year, that the Phins would "take care of him."

The 2-year deal seems to be where the two sides compromised. Miami got a ridiculously low cap figure in year 1 and an easy out in year 2 if Knight doesn't pan out (150,000). Knight got a signing bonus higher than the league minimum contract and a 2nd year in the deal where if he plays well Miami will be prompted to renegotiate--which will get him a bigger signing bonus next year.

My bet is that the deal will be extended after this year, and that 1.7 million cap figure will never happen.

Back
Top Bottom