Kobe Bryant | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kobe Bryant

Oy vey. Nobody likes a winner I suppose. So many points to address, so little time.

First off, Kobe did throw the elbow, and should have been suspended. However, I don't see anyone complaining when the EXACT SAME THING happened to Kobe a week earlier. No reprecussions for that from theleague and I am sure none of you made a stink about it. Please, uit holding him to a different standard than everyone else.

Kobe and LeBron? Why would you even compare the two? Seriously they play differnet positions essentially and aren't even of the same age group really. Everyone wants to hate Kobe but just remember this. At 21, Kobe won his first NBA championship. LeBron has yet to even appearin a playoff game.

What else? Kobe is slefish unlike Michael Jordan who understood team play. Funny, because I seem to recall Jackson having to reign Jordan in as well. Does Kobe take too many shots? Yes. Does he have to take those shots sometimes? Absolutely. Look who he has around him. Lamar Odom is much more of a facilitator than a scorer and players like Smuch Parker, Devean George and Chris Mihm are way too inconsistant to be relied upon with any type of regularity.

For everyone who blames Kobe and only Kobe for the breakup of the Lakers dynasty, please be quiet. You clearly have no idea what happened and are probably blinded by Shaq being on the Heat. The fact remains that Shaq was a lazy, oft-injured player ( a fact Heat fans are finding out slowly but surely ) who decided since he was injured on company time, he should have surgery and recover on company time instead of over a summer when he should have. Plus, Shaq asked for a contract extension that would have made Jordan blush and disrupted games to yell at Jerry Buss about it.

Who is theone who keeps taking shots at his former teammate and team? It certainly isn't Kobe. Kobe has stated many times that the media needs to "move on" when it comes to Shaq and Kobe. I would advise Shaq (and Jerry Buss for that matter) to do the same. Both are coming off like spoiled babies.

Kobe made Phil quit? Kobe cheated on his wife? Funny, Magic Johnson did the same exact thing and is held in the highest regard. Face it, Kobe just rubs you guys the wrong way because he doesn't smile for the cameras as much as others do and could care less what you think of him, unlike others who cowtow. He has ice water in his veins and it shows when he hits game winner after game winner like he did last night.

Samphin said:
Oy vey. Nobody likes a winner I suppose. So many points to address, so little time.

First off, Kobe did throw the elbow, and should have been suspended. However, I don't see anyone complaining when the EXACT SAME THING happened to Kobe a week earlier. No reprecussions for that from theleague and I am sure none of you made a stink about it. Please, uit holding him to a different standard than everyone else.

Kobe and LeBron? Why would you even compare the two? Seriously they play differnet positions essentially and aren't even of the same age group really. Everyone wants to hate Kobe but just remember this. At 21, Kobe won his first NBA championship. LeBron has yet to even appearin a playoff game.

What else? Kobe is slefish unlike Michael Jordan who understood team play. Funny, because I seem to recall Jackson having to reign Jordan in as well. Does Kobe take too many shots? Yes. Does he have to take those shots sometimes? Absolutely. Look who he has around him. Lamar Odom is much more of a facilitator than a scorer and players like Smuch Parker, Devean George and Chris Mihm are way too inconsistant to be relied upon with any type of regularity.

For everyone who blames Kobe and only Kobe for the breakup of the Lakers dynasty, please be quiet. You clearly have no idea what happened and are probably blinded by Shaq being on the Heat. The fact remains that Shaq was a lazy, oft-injured player ( a fact Heat fans are finding out slowly but surely ) who decided since he was injured on company time, he should have surgery and recover on company time instead of over a summer when he should have. Plus, Shaq asked for a contract extension that would have made Jordan blush and disrupted games to yell at Jerry Buss about it.

Who is theone who keeps taking shots at his former teammate and team? It certainly isn't Kobe. Kobe has stated many times that the media needs to "move on" when it comes to Shaq and Kobe. I would advise Shaq (and Jerry Buss for that matter) to do the same. Both are coming off like spoiled babies.

Kobe made Phil quit? Kobe cheated on his wife? Funny, Magic Johnson did the same exact thing and is held in the highest regard. Face it, Kobe just rubs you guys the wrong way because he doesn't smile for the cameras as much as others do and could care less what you think of him, unlike others who cowtow. He has ice water in his veins and it shows when he hits game winner after game winner like he did last night.

You act as though its just fans that don't like Kobe. Its everyone he's played with also. His own teamates can't stand him. Jordan and Johnson were always well liked. I actually respect that Kobe isnt out there 'cowtowing' but he isn't a great person, sorry but thats just the truth, not hating. People don't like Kobe because he handles himself poorly in the public eye and oh yea he was in a very public rape case that he got himself into by acting like a ******.
Kobe hasnt done anything without Shaq so Im not sure what youre blasting Shaq for. Shaq has turned 3 franchises into winners in his career, so far Kobe hasnt turned any franchise into a winner without Shaq. Shaq was out of shape and he deserves to be criticized because of that, but things could have been worked out in LA. Kobe wanted the team for himself and thats why things worked out the way things did. Kobe orchestrated that, thinking otherwise is idiotic.

Samphin said:

An absolutely beautiful post Samphin.I seldom bring up any positive(s) about Kobe or the Lakers.I fully understand this is a Dolphin site(Miami Heat) and most here can't see past the hatered they have for Kobe to be non bias towards him.

finfansince72 said:
You act as though its just fans that don't like Kobe. Its everyone he's played with also. His own teamates can't stand him. Jordan and Johnson were always well liked. I actually respect that Kobe isnt out there 'cowtowing' but he isn't a great person, sorry but thats just the truth, not hating. People don't like Kobe because he handles himself poorly in the public eye and oh yea he was in a very public rape case that he got himself into by acting like a ******.
Kobe hasnt done anything without Shaq so Im not sure what youre blasting Shaq for. Shaq has turned 3 franchises into winners in his career, so far Kobe hasnt turned any franchise into a winner without Shaq. Shaq was out of shape and he deserves to be criticized because of that, but things could have been worked out in LA. Kobe wanted the team for himself and thats why things worked out the way things did. Kobe orchestrated that, thinking otherwise is idiotic.

Case in point.

PHINATIC13 said:
An absolutely beautiful post Samphin.I seldom bring up any positive(s) about Kobe or the Lakers.I fully understand this is a Dolphin site(Miami Heat) and most here can't see past the hatered they have for Kobe to be non bias towards him.

I havent said I dont think Kobe is a good ballplayer. There is no doubt about that, but what I am stating is that he is a grade-1 a-hole.
Also, he has been scoring, what in the high 40s-50s every game? He has also been taking 30 shots a game. Oh and btw, who is the second best player on the lakers this year? How long is it gonna be before Lamar and Kobe square up again.
My prediction, Kobe will average 35-40 points a game and average over 30 shots a game this season, the lakers will barely make or miss the playoffs and Lamar Odom will be with a different team before the end of the season.

azfinfanmang said:
I havent said I dont think Kobe is a good ballplayer. There is no doubt about that, but what I am stating is that he is a grade-1 a-hole.
Also, he has been scoring, what in the high 40s-50s every game? He has also been taking 30 shots a game. Oh and btw, who is the second best player on the lakers this year? How long is it gonna be before Lamar and Kobe square up again.
My prediction, Kobe will average 35-40 points a game and average over 30 shots a game this season, the lakers will barely make or miss the playoffs and Lamar Odom will be with a different team before the end of the season.

To each his own.Your entitled to your opinion like everyone else here.All I can say is will see. I don't claim to be able to predict what will happen this year or next.I will say we (Lakers) have played really well against what is to be considered the better teams in the league.

PHINATIC13 said:
To each his own.Your entitled to your opinion like everyone else here.All I can say is will see. I don't claim to be able to predict what will happen this year or next.I will say we (Lakers) have played really well against what is to be considered the better teams in the league.

Agreed and you are entitled to route for your guys. But I will say if you (Lakers) have "played really good against what is considered to be the better teams in the league", you have really stunk it up against the bad ones. Going into tonight you are 19-17, including 8-12 in div and 1-2 in conference. A conference that is WAY down this year I might add.

azfinfanmang said:
Agreed and you are entitled to route for your guys. But I will say if you (Lakers) have "played really good against what is considered to be the better teams in the league", you have really stunk it up against the bad ones. Going into tonight you are 19-17, including 8-12 in div and 1-2 in conference. A conference that is WAY down this year I might add.

True dat. Just the other night we made Portland look like they are finals bound:shakeno:. It's nearly the half way point of the season, we need to step it up now(mostly defense) to secure a 5-8 slot in the playoffs.

PHINATIC13 said:
True dat. Just the other night we made Portland look like they are finals bound:shakeno:. It's nearly the half way point of the season, we need to step it up now(mostly defense) to secure a 5-8 slot in the playoffs.

I would look at two things. Injuries is gonna be huge for your guys (You have absolutely 0 depth) and what the schedule looks like the last 3 weeks of the season.
You are right on the money, a few wins ~vs~ losses could be the difference between being a 5 slot and missing out all-together.

finfansince72 said:

Revisionist history must be a fun thing. Jordan was not well liked by all his teammates. In fact, he intimdated and belittled players who he felt didn't play up to his standards. If you don't believe me, go ask Kwame Brown who was call a Maggot with an F, in practice in front of everyone my Mike, who had drafted him! People seem to forget that Michael Jordan gambled, smoked and treated some players like dirt just because he is Michael.

Meanwhile, Kobe is always be blasted for handling himself like an a-hole in the media which really is a false claim made up by people. Someone give me quotes by him that make him out to be an a-hole. Because he won't spar with Shaq through the media? Blame Shaq for being a spoiled brat? Because the media keeps saying Kobe started the chain of events in L.A.? No one has ever confirmed it. I don't doubt that Kobe has input, but that is no different than Jason Kidd who got his coaches fired and beat his wife, but he gets a free pass, right?

Look, Shaq asked to be traded when he knew he was not going to get the astronomical ocntract extension he thought he deserved ( and didn't ). Shaq is now acting like a jilted lover, complainging to anyone who will listen about how the Lakers did him wrong, when in fact, it was Shaq who lobbied to bring in Phil Jackson by *GASP* helping poopcan the former coaches in L.A.

Kobe has never won a ring without Shaq? Vice versa as well my friends. In fact, Shaq was quote dmany times during the dynasty that Kobe was, in fact, the true MVP of the team and league. He won't cop to it now, but he said it.

Listen, Kobe isn't perfect. He cheated on his wife, he does take too many shots and he is a bit standoff-ish. But can you blame the guy for the latter? I mean, everyone says how much they hae you, are you going to be trusting and cordial with everyone? Doubt it. All I am saying is hold Kobe to the same levels of decency you hold everyone else. Everyone outside of L.A. and its fanbase seems to love piling on and spewing so called "facts" about him that are just untrue greatly exagerrated. I understand that asking for fairness to Kobe on a Miami board is laughable but please, at least be reasonable.

Kobe lost my respect when he implicated Shaq in that 'incident' in Colorado. Remember him saying 'hey shaq pays women all the time to shut up', great guy eh? Thats why Shaq goes after him, that was so low to do that to someone its just unforgivable. Kobe forced the management to choose between him and Shaq, it wasnt Shaq that forced his way out.
Shaq has been more successful in his career without Kobe than Kobe has been without him. He led Orlando, an expansion team to the finals. He led the Heat to within 1 game of the Finals. Kobe hasnt led a team to the playoffs yet.
Does Kobe even have a friend in this world? I mean seriously. Yea Jordan was disliked by some but liked by most, Im not sure if Kobe's wife likes him. Im sorry but when everyone around you doesnt like you, most can't even stand you, youre co-workers don't like you, you have a problem. Its more than just an image problem, theres somethign wrong with Kobe, Im sorry I know hes your boy but you have to admit, people just don't like Kobe.
I never really liked Jordan and some of the other superstars in other sports but I still enjoyed watching him play and win. Kobe is fun to watch but theres just something about him that makes me want to see him lose. I can't remember feeling that way about anyone else.

I hate kobe, and i have a friend that is a lakers fan who lives in L.A. and he can't stand him as well. He is always talking about ways to get kobe out of LA. I don't hate him because of the thing with shaq because both are doing it for publicity in my opinion. I dislike kobe because of his arrogance on and off the court. The elbow to miller, was the last straw for me, that could have done serious damage. Even after he never even said that he wished he didn't do it because he could have really hurt miller, he just said he wish he didnt do it because he didnt want to be suspended.

When you take 30 shots a game, if you don't score 30-40 points that is sorta of pathetic. I have seen plenty of times where kobe will drive and shoot a jump shot or drive with his other 4 players basically just standing there knowin they aren't part of this play and kobe will do it all. I think a real superstar and a guy that wants to win and not just score and look goods will focus on getting his teammates involved. i think kobe is a good scorer and that is all, a superstar is a guy that does it all.

Finfan86 said:
I hate kobe, and i have a friend that is a lakers fan who lives in L.A. and he can't stand him as well. He is always talking about ways to get kobe out of LA. I don't hate him because of the thing with shaq because both are doing it for publicity in my opinion. I dislike kobe because of his arrogance on and off the court. The elbow to miller, was the last straw for me, that could have done serious damage. Even after he never even said that he wished he didn't do it because he could have really hurt miller, he just said he wish he didnt do it because he didnt want to be suspended.

When you take 30 shots a game, if you don't score 30-40 points that is sorta of pathetic. I have seen plenty of times where kobe will drive and shoot a jump shot or drive with his other 4 players basically just standing there knowin they aren't part of this play and kobe will do it all. I think a real superstar and a guy that wants to win and not just score and look goods will focus on getting his teammates involved. i think kobe is a good scorer and that is all, a superstar is a guy that does it all.

A superstar makes his team better. Kobe hasnt led his team to even an 8th seed playoff birth yet. In the NBA thats pretty weak. I really think there are quite a few players in the NBA that would average over 30 a night if they were allowed to sacrifice running an offense and being a team guy and took 30+ shots a night. Its really not that impressive.

finfansince72 said:
A superstar makes his team better. Kobe hasnt led his team to even an 8th seed playoff birth yet. In the NBA thats pretty weak. I really think there are quite a few players in the NBA that would average over 30 a night if they were allowed to sacrifice running an offense and being a team guy and took 30+ shots a night. Its really not that impressive.

On he subject of Michael Jordon, he made everybody else on his team look like superstars. Pippen would never have been an elite player without Jordan. Steve Kerr> Please, how about my homeboy Luke Longley? AS much as I love him for being a UNM Lobo standout, not even close, Will Purdue etc etc etc.... Oh yeah, and all those rings he wears......

Please, Kobe has had exactly ONE year where he hasn't played with Shaq, yet he has never led his team to the playoffs. In case you guys forgot, Kobe was injured for quite awhile last year, their coach quit on them mid season, and Frank Hamblin, who replaced Rudy, came in and completely overhauled the offense again. I doubt most teams could have overocme all of that. Meanwhile, people seem to forget that Jordan never made it to the playoffs until Scottie Pippen came along. LeBron has yet to make it to the playoffs but he is the greatest in waiting right?

The elbow was the last straw? Please. Players get into scraps all the time. A week earlier Kobe was tattooed with an elbow and nary a word from any of you to come to his defense I am sure. Shaq flipped out and tried to take Brad Miller's head off. Was that the last straw for you about him?

Saying you hate Kobe for what he "allegedly" said to police is stupid. If you followed that case at all, you would know that the cops are the ones who said he said that, no one else. It has been proven that those cops in Colorado bungled everything and pretty much, had it in for Kobe, so taking anything they say as truth is iffy at best.

As for no teammates liking Kobe. That is BS. Caron Butler and Kobe had a great relationship. Contract issuesforced Caron to have to be traded. Malone and Kobe were friends until Malone tried to hit on Kobe's wife. That will pretty much sour most relationships. Kobe an dShaq got along until their rift, which you cannot seriously blame all on Kobe. Not when it has happened before with Shaq and Penny, Shaq and Eddie Jones. If anything, you may need to take a look at Shaq and coutndown the days until his blowup with Wade.

His other teammates seme to like him. There have been a few arguments but every team has those once in awhile. To say everyone dislikes him is false and smacks of media sensationalizing. Just because fans hate him, doesn't mean everyone in the NBA does. Quit projecting your thoughts as the thoughts of everyone else.

Like I said, Kobe is not perfect. He certainly loses respect from me for cheating on his wife. I would like to see him shoot a little less, but then again, I would like to see someone else on the Lakers become a daily threat and justify their shots as well. I just don't see why everyone hates the guy. I feel the same way about Artest. Everyone wants to villify him as well, but I just don't see it. He was right when he went into the stands in Detroit. Asking for a trade is nothing new. Almost evryone does it. The only thing I really see wrong with Artest is that he is on the wrong side of the media's favorite's list.

Back
Top Bottom