Lack of Leadership Was The Issue in Bullygate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lack of Leadership Was The Issue in Bullygate

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I understood the things which took place with the Dolphins in their locker room, and chances are they have taken place on other NFL teams. I believe that the difference here is that they were allowed to go on for months with no one stepping up to stop or, at least tone things down. That's a lack of leadership.

Cog and Martin were here in 2012, with no problems BUT, we also had Big Jake, Bush, and Dansby. I believe they controlled things, as do many leaders for other NFL teams. They were let go, and I think at least some of the reason was Philbin not wanting guys who talked. JMO

I can't really fault Philbin on something he supposedly did not know about. I can for having Cog, who he had a problem with on the golf deal, being allowed on the leadership council. He let VG leaders go, and let an inmate run the asylum, not a good thing.

I am hoping that our team will have a few players step up in that leadership role this year but, not sure who they may be?

No leadership at all.

There are many great players in the NFL who are not leaders, just leading by example, like our best players in Wake and Grimes. Tannehill is building to it, Hartline is trying, Ellerbe can be, and Clemons looks to be the silent leader of the secondary.

To go further, Mckennie, who was a late addition and not playing well, had more to say than any one else in the second half of a playoff run. That's not gonna work.

The reasons for Bullygate.
1. Lack of courage from Martin's upbringing. Johnathan was ruled by his mother..while his father stood behind her quietly
2. Jeff Ireland not getting rid of Incognito when Philbin asked.

This is a good point to bring up..

is the Leadership needed on a professional NFL team, to EXCELL and win at the highest level of competition the same as

whatever goes for 'leadership' today?

Have you seen how the coaches for the young Olympic girls coach their athletes?

Many posters around here would undoubtedly be shocked and awed by how young Olympic gymnasts and figure skaters are coached.

The reasons for Bullygate.
1. Lack of courage from Martin's upbringing. Johnathan was ruled by his mother..while his father stood behind her quietly
2. Jeff Ireland not getting rid of Incognito when Philbin asked.

And having Big Jake on the OL in 2012, when both were here did not matter? Have to disagree. Long controlled our OL in 2012, and Cog, Jerry, and Pouncey listened. JMO with no inside info for fact. Anyone disagree?

And having Big Jake on the OL in 2012, when both were here did not matter? Have to disagree. Long controlled our OL in 2012, and Cog, Jerry, and Pouncey listened. JMO with no inside info for fact. Anyone disagree?

Thats news to me. Long never struck me as a leader. This is nothing but hindsight.
BTW, the Phins tried to re sign him to a cap friendly deal, HE chose to go to St Louis. In retrospect, this was good for the Phins. What position do most mock drafts have St Louis taking in rd 1? LT (Matthews)
Long has been done in by the injury bug.

Thats news to me. Long never struck me as a leader. This is nothing but hindsight.
BTW, the Phins tried to re sign him to a cap friendly deal, HE chose to go to St Louis. In retrospect, this was good for the Phins. What position do most mock drafts have St Louis taking in rd 1? LT (Matthews)
Long has been done in by the injury bug.

Guess you missed HBO's Hard Knocks.

I understood the things which took place with the Dolphins in their locker room, and chances are they have taken place on other NFL teams. I believe that the difference here is that they were allowed to go on for months with no one stepping up to stop or, at least tone things down. That's a lack of leadership.

Cog and Martin were here in 2012, with no problems BUT, we also had Big Jake, Bush, and Dansby. I believe they controlled things, as do many leaders for other NFL teams. They were let go, and I think at least some of the reason was Philbin not wanting guys who talked. JMO

I can't really fault Philbin on something he supposedly did not know about. I can for having Cog, who he had a problem with on the golf deal, being allowed on the leadership council. He let VG leaders go, and let an inmate run the asylum, not a good thing.

I am hoping that our team will have a few players step up in that leadership role this year but, not sure who they may be?

How do you know there were no problems in 2012?

Guess you missed HBO's Hard Knocks.

Per the Sun Sentinel the alleged bullying started in 2012. Where was Jake Long?
The team knew that Martin and Incognito hung out together outside of football, so unless Martin went directly to the coaches or other teammates to voice his concerns, any verbal exchanges in the locker room would have been shrugged off.
The fault lies solely with Martin. He is mentally weak.
I actually feel worse for Nate Garner, as he apparently put up with this nonsense for 6 yrs. Again where were these so called leaders? I eagerly await your explanation. Remember, we are discussing Jake Long's alleged leadership qualities.

Just finished watching Bruschi on ESPN ripping the team from top to bottom...can't stand him or the patriot loving ESPN for that matter.

bull****.
Martin being a ***** is what lead to this.

No. It was a perfect storm of giant douchebag meets huge wuss.

Incognito is the worst kind of POS ever known to man. He didnt just do this to Martin, he did it to almost everyone he encountered. Not everyone handled it poorly like Martin, but most did not like it. The only kinds of people who like Incognito are also scumbags like Pouncey.

Per the Sun Sentinel the alleged bullying started in 2012. Where was Jake Long?
The team knew that Martin and Incognito hung out together outside of football, so unless Martin went directly to the coaches or other teammates to voice his concerns, any verbal exchanges in the locker room would have been shrugged off.
The fault lies solely with Martin. He is mentally weak.
I actually feel worse for Nate Garner, as he apparently put up with this nonsense for 6 yrs. Again where were these so called leaders? I eagerly await your explanation. Remember, we are discussing Jake Long's alleged leadership qualities.

I believe that Long controlled the OL and Cog in 2012 but, have no inside info or fact to support this, and the Sun's allegations mean nothing to me. I stand by my belief in Long as a leader, and the lack of any problems, at least publicly, in 2012 were partly because of it.

Back
Top Bottom