Lack of Mike Wallace deep ball is because Ryan Tannehill can't make that throw. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lack of Mike Wallace deep ball is because Ryan Tannehill can't make that throw.

Yeah but this **** never happened when Big Ben was slinging the rock to him...

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...ll_target_mike_wallace_despite_drops/12032024

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will still target wide receiver Mike Wallace. This comes two days after Wallace was credited with four drops in Monday nights win against the Cincinnati Bengals. Prior to Monday the Steeler receiver had never dropped four passes in a season.The four drops on Monday upped Wallace’s total on the season to five which is a surprisingly 10.4 percent of his targets. In the first three years of Wallace’s career he dropped only 2.9 percent of his targets.According to ESPN Wallace said, “I should have caught [them]. Bottom line, I didn’t. I’ll make up for it next week. We got the win, so I feel good about it.” when asked about his drops.

**** Wallace. He's trash.

walldrop-1.gif

That is such a great gif!

Personally, I think the division of fans is in part because fans go to one extreme or the other. On one side fans appear to think Tannehill flat out sucks. On the other side fans appear to think Tannehill is elite, but the talent around him sucks.

I think this gif is more reflective of reality. As for Tannehill, the ball placement of that throw is not very good. That throw should be about two yards to the left. An elite QB leads the WR on that play. As for Wallace, that is a terrible adjustment to the football. An elite WR (even one with half-decent hands) probably doesn't score on that play like they would if they were led, but makes that catch and probably makes that catch look relatively easy.

In my opinion this really is a perfect gif to sum up both Tannehill and Wallace, I think reality is we don't have an elite QB or #1 WR (if you want to call Wallace that) and Miami could use upgrades at both those positions. Both are okay and at times look good, but neither is great or very consistent.

That is such a great gif!

Personally, I think the division of fans is in part because fans go to one extreme or the other. On one side fans appear to think Tannehill flat out sucks. On the other side fans appear to think Tannehill is elite, but the talent around him sucks.

I think this gif is more reflective of reality. As for Tannehill, the ball placement of that throw is not very good. That throw should be about two yards to the left. An elite QB leads the WR on that play. As for Wallace, that is a terrible adjustment to the football. An elite WR (even one with half-decent hands) probably doesn't score on that play like they would if they were led, but makes that catch and probably makes that catch look relatively easy.

In my opinion this really is a perfect gif to sum up both Tannehill and Wallace, I think reality is we don't have an elite QB or #1 WR (if you want to call Wallace that) and Miami could use upgrades at both those positions. Both are okay and at times look good, but neither is great or very consistent.

As Hooshoops pointed out as well, you don't continue to drift in your route as a WR when you establish an area and you're sitting down in a zone coverage. The pass was fine. Wallace route running abilities suck and either he either doesn't understand basic route concepts or principles or he's too lazy to apply them in game situations.

I appreciate you trying to find a middle ground here, but your passive aggressive attempts in implying we need to replace Tannehill are in poor judgment and quite obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go back and look at how much time he has to throw it around 5-6 seconds.....not the 1-2 seconds Tannehill is getting. thats a big difference!

I have a theory, and correct me of I'm wrong. But I think the main culprit(s) here are Strength and Effort. Let me explain.

Strength - Is needed to keep yourself on your route, whether it be a timing route or a regular route the QB NEEDS to know where you are going to be at ALL times. Especially when the O-Line is down to 3rd string players. You have to be able to beat press coverage and not get pushed off your line. Mike Wallace lacks this completely, one of the weakest WRs in the NFL. I mean just watch that clip from the Buffalo game last year, look at how badly he gets thrown off his lane by a 1 armed Gilmore. That makes that completion by Tannehill that much better.

Effort - Is needed to gain the trust of those around you, including your QB. You have to give the same effort on a run play that you would on a pass play. The same effort on a broken play, when your jammed, when you're not the first read, when you know damn well the ball isn't coming your way. Because ANYTHING can happen once the ball is snapped. I'm positive Wallace takes it upon himself to decide when the play is over and pumps the brakes, he takes a couple of steps off and doesn't go all out every play. If he did, I think it would be a lot easier for RT17 to gauge his speed and release the deep ball accordingly.

There's a reason Tannehill has hit other WRs in stride for big gains. Effort coupled with Wallace's propensity to get knocked off his route by a stiff breeze would make it difficult for a lot of QBs to connect with him. Jordy Nelson runs his route the same speed at the beginning as he does at the end, so do Julio Jones and Antonio Brown. They fight their way through people and take off, they have the mindset to catch everything coming their way and they put forth effort on every play. If the throw is not pinpoint perfect Wallace will pull up on the play. It has happened before and it's not stopping. Sell Wallace for a serviceable Guard and draft one of the WRs already listed in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Hooshoops pointed out as well, you don't continue to drift in your route as a WR when you establish an area and you're sitting down in a zone coverage. The pass was fine. Wallace route running abilities suck and either he either doesn't understand basic route concepts or principles or he's too lazy to apply them in game situations.

I appreciate you trying to find a middle ground here, but your passive aggressive attempts in implying we need to replace Tannehill are in poor judgment and quite obvious.

:lol: Passive aggressive. Do you seriously think you are qualified to diagnose other people's behavior? Perhaps you might try a self-diagnosis like defensive girlfriend syndrome.

I am not passive aggressive. I'll tell you straight out Miami needs to replace Tannheill if they want a top 10 QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: Passive aggressive. Do you seriously think you are qualified to diagnose other people's behavior? Perhaps you might try a self-diagnosis like defensive girlfriend syndrome.

I am not passive aggressive. I'll tell you straight out Miami needs to replace Tannheill if they want a top 10 QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, you go pick one of those off the nearest tree for me...

God, those Roethlisberger throws to Wallace were beautiful. That is all.

Rational objective people plainly see that RT cant throw a catchable deep ball. It is doubtful he ever will. It is like shooting 3s in basketball, some people can and some cant. You can work to make yourself marginally better, but you pretty much are what you are.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Hard to get better when you never even try.

Tell that to Chris Bosh. It is a myth people cant learn to shoot 3s.

Big Ben is probably one of the best long ball throwers around too.

Comparing anyone to him is laughable.

If you wanna see someone learn to throw a beautiful deep ball look at Tom Brady and to a certain degree Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers had to change his entire motion just to make it in the nfl, as we all know the rest is history.

Tom Brady was considered a dink and dunk qb up until he got Moss. Even to this day there primarily a dink and dunk offense.

We get it, some people want Tannehill replaced. Ok then, tell us who you want to replace him with?

I have asked this question a few times and they never answer it because they can't. Some have offered up the idea of going back to Matt Moore which is absolutely ridiculous. Other than that I have seen no suggestions on what we should do at the quarterback position from the Tannehill haters because they know that there is no Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, or Aaron Rodgers waiting to put on the aqua. They are comparing this kid to quarterbacks that are Hall Of Famers. IMO if Joe Flacco is good enough to win a Super Bowl with a good team of receivers and linemen, then Ryan Tannehill can get it done. All the kid needs is help.

Look, I was a member of the "Suck For Luck" club, but it didn't happen. There is no reason to keep harping on the fact that we didn't get him and keep calling for the head of our good young qb because we missed out on the one that got away. These people are always quiet until we are eliminated from playoff contention, and then they come out of hiding with the same old predictable nonsense that offers nothing new. They always accuse Tannehill supporters of blaming everyone but the quarterback, but they are hypocrites because they fail to acknowledge the fault of anyone else BUT the quarterback. Don't expect an answer to your question; these people simply do not have one.

If your "franchise" QB is still learning how to play QB after 3 years in the nfl, then news flash, he ain't a franchise QB.

Considering he has been playing QB for a grand total of four years between college and the pros compared to most who have a total of 7+, being where he is at is more of a compliment than people want to even acknowledge. He's a top 15 QB in the NFL with less experience than those above and below him...

Back
Top Bottom