Lawson "The Freak" II | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lawson "The Freak" II

RUDEbyallMEANS said:
Exaggeration on both ends. Manny Lawsons playing wieght is 240 if he is lucky, more like lower 230's.

Manny runs a 4.4 40. Not a 4.1 40.

Your exaggeration is not needed to prove his athleticism.

Yea a 4.1 would make him the fastest guy in the nfl.

Ummm you guys do realize that Lawson can't learn how to play LB again at SLB and also become the WLB that Taylor drops back into in a 3-4 right?

Manny Lawson is at 241 pounds right now and he is still going to gain some weight so that wasn't an exaggeration. as for his speed he ran a 4.43 so a 4.1 is an exaggeration

Manny Lawson is overrated and should not be drafted in the first round.

Ghetti13 said:
Manny Lawson is overrated and should not be drafted in the first round.
would you mind explaining you reasoning?

FinNasty said:
I am just in love with Lawson's upside... I want either him or Greenway. Greenway is more polished... and is already comfortable playing OLB... but Lawson has more upside... and I am starting to favor Lawson more...

I would be thrilled with either though...

I'm not a big fan of Greenway, but I would take him if he's there. I would look at LB/DE in this order: Sims, Lawson, Greenway, Carpenter

Lawson is an animal. He also looks like he could pack on an extra 10-15 pounds no problem.

I haven't seen him in a game so I can't speak for certain but on the highlight reels and prospect footage he looks crazy. I posted this in another thread but I had was checking out a highlight package on Mario Williams and I originally thought #91 (Lawson) was Williams because he was the one causing the most damage.

IMO Lawson is more of a combine player than a proven "Monster" in college, let alone the pros. No doubt he has immense potential, and could (???) become a "Monster" NFL OLB. Or, he could be a real disappointment.

If the draft was just purely on college production, there's no way Lawson is a 1st rounder. Maybe a 3rd rounder?

History has proven that college production projects better into the pros than raw athletic potential, so I'd have to consider Lawson a high-risk 1st round pick.

Absolutely. I have no problem giving my reasons.

I studied the two games I have of N.C. State this season and this is what I saw:

Lawson does not play with a consistent high level of urgency. This lack of urgency limits how much impact his physical skills can have on the game. For instance, there were numerous situations where he could have used his speed to track down a ball carrier well within his range, however, he would allow a teamate to make the tackle, allowing the runner to get an extra five or ten yards.

Also, Lawson is faster than his is quick. This is an issue when you are talking about a player who is slotted to make the switch to outside linebacker. I believe he will struggle when in space and asked to sift through trash.

Also, Lawson is kinda a one trick pony. He is not a great natural pass rusher, showing very little polish. He has not shown me the ability to do much more than speed rush.

Also, Lawson benefited greatly from playing opposite Mario Williams.

Lastly, the comparisons to Jason Taylor are warranted. They have similar size and similar athletic ability. However, people need to realize that Jason Taylor was taken outside of the first round for a reason. He needed alot of work to become the player he is today. He has gained roughly twenty pounds and worked diligently to develope a spectacular group of pass rush moves.

I am not willing to spend a first round pick on a player who may be able to develope into a Jason Taylor somewhere down the road. Too many if's for me.

For those reasons I believe Lawson actually represents 2nd round value.

Guys that I feel represent great value at 16 are Chad Greenway and Donte Whitner. They jump out at you on tape as explosive playmaking football players. I don't see that out of Lawson.

Ghetti13 said:
Absolutely. I have no problem giving my reasons.

I studied the two games I have of N.C. State this season and this is what I saw:

Lawson does not play with a consistent high level of urgency. This lack of urgency limits how much impact his physical skills can have on the game. For instance, there were numerous situations where he could have used his speed to track down a ball carrier well within his range, however, he would allow a teamate to make the tackle, allowing the runner to get an extra five or ten yards.

Also, Lawson is faster than his is quick. This is an issue when you are talking about a player who is slotted to make the switch to outside linebacker. I believe he will struggle when in space and asked to sift through trash.

Also, Lawson is kinda a one trick pony. He is not a great natural pass rusher, showing very little polish. He has not shown me the ability to do much more than speed rush.

Also, Lawson benefited greatly from playing opposite Mario Williams.

Lastly, the comparisons to Jason Taylor are warranted. They have similar size and similar athletic ability. However, people need to realize that Jason Taylor was taken outside of the first round for a reason. He needed alot of work to become the player he is today. He has gained roughly twenty pounds and worked diligently to develope a spectacular group of pass rush moves.

I am not willing to spend a first round pick on a player who may be able to develope into a Jason Taylor somewhere down the road. Too many if's for me.

For those reasons I believe Lawson actually represents 2nd round value.

Guys that I feel represent great value at 16 are Chad Greenway and Donte Whitner. They jump out at you on tape as explosive playmaking football players. I don't see that out of Lawson.
Lawson would be learning from the best if he came here, you know that Taylor was also a one trick pony but he developed numorous moves, Lawson has the ability to put on 20 pounds like Taylor did. Lawson is more athletic than Taylor, I know that may be a bold statement but look at them both. Lawson compares much to Taylor but unlike when Taylor was a rookie, Lawson will have great coaches to learn from. Trace Armstrong pretty much taught Taylor himself. Lawson with have Capers, Saban and Taylor some of the best in the business.

Jason Taylor is not Trace Armstrong and Manny Lawson is not Jason Taylor. We do not know if Lawson will have the work ethic to respond like Jason and we don't know if Jason will take the time to teach like Trace.

That, plus the weaknesses I already mentioned are why I think Lawson is not worthy of a first round pick.

Ghetti13 said:
Jason Taylor is not Trace Armstrong and Manny Lawson is not Jason Taylor. We do not know if Lawson will have the work ethic to respond like Jason and we don't know if Jason will take the time to teach like Trace.

That, plus the weaknesses I already mentioned are why I think Lawson is not worthy of a first round pick.
Lawson would flourish in a Capers and Saban scheme, they would use his great athletic ability to it's fullist. I'm not saying he doesn't have some weaknesses but every 1st rounder does, his upside is that of a 1st rounder

Yes, his upside is that of a 1st rounder, I agree. However, the draft is not all about upside. It is about weighing the risk against the reward. In my opinion, when I weigh the risk and the reward, I come out with him recieving a second round grade at best.

Well Lawson would be playing SOLB opposite JT so if he benifited from playing opposite M.Williams he definately will benefite from playing with Taylor.

However and here is my concern I do wonder can he make the transition to OLB? remember Jason was abit concerned about making the move last year.

Lastly how far down do you think Lawson would fall if not drafted in the first Rnd?

yea lawson would be a good pick.if we were to go defense with our first pick i see us taking him or williams

Back
Top Bottom