Let me add some perspective.......... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let me add some perspective..........

I don't think the problem is that they don't know shat, it's that they are grading players with different motivation (statistics and test scores). I was reading somewhere, and I can't place it at the moment, an Idea that gives proper perspective on the different opinions of college players. It has to do with finding a players worth determined by their athleticism and workouts vs. performance on the field. Not many draft guru's combine and project a player with the proper blending of their game performance and athleticism.

Take Braylon Edwards, he is an outstanding athletic specimin. However, in games he lacks concentration and occasionally drops the easy catch.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I have to disagree. He is always one of the league leaders in tackles for defensive ends.

I guess my question is, do you think that is a product of the system(with Bowens and Chester pluging up the middle) or is that all JT creating those tackles? I am having a hard time finding a link that list the number of tackles for DE's only. If you have one I would like to view it. I am not stating my oppiion as fact, just from what I have actually gotten to watch. I admit, I haven't had the chance to watch a ton of games(I tried to take part in crunchtimes and others online feeds, but time became a factor for me).

ps..No satelite in my area(at least by community rules and no access to the southern skyline).

BlitPhinFan said:
I guess my question is, do you think that is a product of the system(with Bowens and Chester pluging up the middle) or is that all JT creating those tackles? I am having a hard time finding a link that list the number of tackles for DE's only. If you have one I would like to view it. I am not stating my oppiion as fact, just from what I have actually gotten to watch. I admit, I haven't had the chance to watch a ton of games(I tried to take part in crunchtimes and others online feeds, but time became a factor for me).

ps..No satelite in my area(at least by community rules and no access to the southern skyline).

I do not think it is part of the system. I think in any system he would be good against the run. He might not be the biggest, but pound for pound one of the strongest players in the NFL.

Plus a defensive end who can funnell the run towards the middle is good against the run.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
I do not think it is part of the system. I think in any system he would be good against the run. He might not be the biggest, but pound for pound one of the strongest players in the NFL.

Plus a defensive end who can funnell the run towards the middle is good against the run.

That last part you stated was my point. He ended up not being a liablity against the run BECAUSE we had DT's that could take out the middle. To me it showed last year that when me lost those run stuffers that we could not contain the middle, even if we tried to use the OLB's to contain on the outside. I am thinking that that's what the draft reports were talking about.

It's nothing against JT, it's just I don't think he has the size to deal with the inside rushes without Bowens and Chester there to clog or slow them up.

Jason Taylor has always been a weakness against the run. Opponents have always geared their running right at Taylor, because Miami has always placed a run stopping end on the opposite side. Most of this can also be attributed to the great interior Miami has had, along with Zach Thomas plugging the middle. I've always thought that Taylor has worked his *** off to not have other teams use his weakness against him (lack of size), his great burst and intensity partially counters it.

TeeMoney said:
Jason Taylor has always been a weakness against the run. Opponents have always geared their running right at Taylor, because Miami has always placed a run stopping end on the opposite side. Most of this can also be attributed to the great interior Miami has had, along with Zach Thomas plugging the middle. I've always thought that Taylor has worked his *** off to not have other teams use his weakness against him (lack of size), his great burst and intensity partially counters it.

Have you watched Dolphin games?

TeeMoney said:

That's what I was getting at. I don't think the scouting reports for Taylor where that off base, but he has accelled and will continue to do so in a system based around what we have now on defense, provided we cen keep/get a Bowens to sure up the middle. To me... Chester is just an animal. In my mind if he could keep the weight down would make one heck of a DL in a 3-4 defense. He's stong as an ox and has great speed(but at his reduced weight.)

Dol-fan Dupee,

Yes, maybe you haven't followed the Dolphins as closely as I have? Or if you have, maybe you choose to ignore what I have described. I'm not bashing Taylor (if that is what you think), but he's not the total package. His quickness and instincts counter what would be his greatest weakness.

BlitPhin-
Read my post a couple above our discussion. The scouts do have the athletic abilities of the players correct. But they largly disregard the players instincts, heart, and will. Scout type draftniks do not project players well because of this.

TeeMoney said:
BlitPhin-
Read my post a couple above our discussion. The scouts do have the athletic abilities of the players correct. But they largly disregard the players instincts, heart, and will. Scout type draftniks do not project players well because of this.

I agree with you 100%. No one can really caculate in heart. I was just saying that the weakness is there to a point.

_dan24 said:
lol @ JT bad against the run... You people miss the amount of tackles he piles up? It's one of his best traits now...

JT even gets bashed from his own fans, wtf do you guys watch when we are on defense?

Here are his stats http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3968

Nobody here is bashing Jason Taylor... we are mearly discussimg whether or not the scouts were right about certain weaknesses that Taylor had when he was scouted and whether or not they hold true to this day.

TeeMoney said:
Dol-fan Dupee,

Yes, maybe you haven't followed the Dolphins as closely as I have? Or if you have, maybe you choose to ignore what I have described. I'm not bashing Taylor (if that is what you think), but he's not the total package. His quickness and instincts counter what would be his greatest weakness.

Nice little tiny insult on the name. However you are wrong that he is not the total package. He does a great job of playing the run at the point of attack. The reason he is double teamed almost every play is not just his ability against the pass.

Back
Top Bottom