lets just say.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

lets just say....

Dolfan4life! said:
Quinn in a tight race over Leinart, Cutler is a little bit behind them. A few miles back is Young. I think Vick showed the true value of a running QB this year. How many runners made the playoffs?

Scramblers made it just fine....Steve Young...Doug Williams, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Kenny Stabler....I'm sure there's plenty more...I'm just not going to do all the work.

daniel3 said:
This convo is progressing almost similarly to another I had in another forum. Steve Young rushed for the most yards of any player on his team when he won the SB. Elway scored more rushing TD's in the latter half of his career than the former. Vick as a starter for the entire season is 2 of 3 in going to the playoffs (where he lost to exceptional teams). Vick is more successful than most pocket passing QB's. Vince Young is not Michael Vick. Vince Young will be better than Vick. You are just prejudicial against QB's like Young because of your hatred of Vick and the fact he is so popular, get over it. Go Young, Yay! :p
if you mean in the super bowl, young had 49 yards while ricky watters had 47 yards. the game wasn't won on young's feet. his 6 passing TDs had something to do with it. the year they won the super bowl he had 3.63 rushing attempts a game, less than his career average of 4.31 per game. as for elway, he had more TDs, but much less attempts, yards, and yards per carry, and even then, he was never a big threat to run.

daniel3 said:
This convo is progressing almost similarly to another I had in another forum. Steve Young rushed for the most yards of any player on his team when he won the SB. Elway scored more rushing TD's in the latter half of his career than the former. Vick as a starter for the entire season is 2 of 3 in going to the playoffs (where he lost to exceptional teams). Vick is more successful than most pocket passing QB's. Vince Young is not Michael Vick. Vince Young will be better than Vick. You are just prejudicial against QB's like Young because of your hatred of Vick and the fact he is so popular, get over it. Go Young, Yay! :p
OK...Tell me what I'm thinking right now.

fishypete said:
Scramblers made it just fine....Steve Young...Doug Williams, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Kenny Stabler....I'm sure there's plenty more...I'm just not going to do all the work.
Steve Young has already been discussed... Doug Williams was done scrambling long before he went to the Superbowl...Fran was only the most prolific PASSER in the history of the NFL prior to Marino... Staubach and Stabler were capable of running to GET OUT OF TROUBLE, but weren't the type to beat you with their feet. Keep trying.

Dolfan4life! said:
Quinn in a tight race over Leinart, Cutler is a little bit behind them. A few miles back is Young. I think Vick showed the true value of a running QB this year. How many runners made the playoffs?

If you extrapolate the "true value of running quarterbacks" from ONE quarterback who can't pass... that's sloppy, sloppy thinking.

The generalizations are killing me here.

At it's core, the ability of a quarterback to run in nothing but a bonus. It's purely positive... as long as he can pass. If he does well in the air and can ALSO run, there is absolutely no downside to that.

And if you think Vick=young, then you are not looking very deeply. Young was the leading PASSER in the country.

Some PASSING stats from this year, since you ranked Cutler above Young...

Cutler: 59.1 % comp, 6.65 YPA (awful), 21 tds, 9 INTs, his rating? 126.07

Young: 65.2 % comp (!) and a jaw-dropping 9.34 YPA. 26tds, 10 INTs His rating? 163.95.

Oh, plus Young had a 1050 yards rushing and 12 more TDs.

The Young hatred on here is unbelievable.

SpeedRush99 said:
Quinn
Cutler
Leinart

I wouldn't take Young at all.
Agreed. I like guys who can actually throw the ball and I dont plan on running the option in the NFL or the wishbone.

Dolfan4life! said:
Steve Young has already been discussed... Doug Williams was done scrambling long before he went to the Superbowl...Fran was only the most prolific PASSER in the history of the NFL prior to Marino... Staubach and Stabler were capable of running to GET OUT OF TROUBLE, but weren't the type to beat you with their feet. Keep trying.

They were all scramblers....what do you think they scrambled on...their knees?

Philter25 said:
Agreed. I like guys who can actually throw the ball and I dont plan on running the option in the NFL or the wishbone.

Young: 65.2 % comp (!) and a jaw-dropping 9.34 YPA. 26tds, 10 INTs His rating? 163.95.

Philter25 said:

Do you really think that Young can't throw a football? Speaking of the option...isn't that what Cutler played just a year ago?

I know....Cutler can change and Young can't....I guess you don't believe what you see with your eyes either...shame. Maybe you should try with them opened?

It's obvious he dropped back 3 and 5 steps in High school...you know where he was rated the number 1 player and QB...in the nation...scored 59 tds in his senior year...he also at times played under center while at Texas...guess you may have missed that also...Hmm.

fishypete said:
Do you really think that Young can't throw a football? Speaking of the option...isn't that what Cutler played just a year ago?

I know....Cutler can change and Young can't....I guess you don't believe what you see with your eyes either...shame. Maybe you should try with them opened?

It's obvious he dropped back 3 and 5 steps in High school...you know where he was rated the number 1 player and QB...in the nation...scored 59 tds in his senior year...he also at times played under center while at Texas...guess you may have missed that also...Hmm.

Lol my eyes are open. I love Vince Young as a college FB QB. Im not a Young hater, he was one of the most exciting players to watch in college. However his college game does NOT translate well to the NFL. My office mate is a UT alum so we have football debates all throughout the college season so Im not some blindsighted idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.

Personally, I find it hilarious that someone who thought we should move ZT to Strong Safety is telling me to open my eyes and act like I dont know what Im talking about. :lol:

nopony said:

Stats are very deceiving. Do I dare bring up Tim Couch, or Jason White's stats they put up in college?

Also, Ronnie had the worst stats last year coming out as a RB... Williams and Caddy both had more yards than he did, so why did we pick him?

You expect Cutler, playing in the SEC at VANDERBILT, to put up heisman stats? Gimme a break. Its all about what translates to the NFL.

I like armstrength and a pocket passer and a guy with decent mechanics as my QB. Cutler >>>> Young in all those categories.

fishypete said:
how in the world is it "obvious" that he was a dropback passer in high school based on those stats? first of all, hardly any QB drops back in high school, unless it's out of an option set, which i'm pretty sure he ran, as it would've been idiotic not to with an athlete like him at quarterback. show some evidence of whatever you're trying to prove.

fishypete said:
They were all scramblers....what do you think they scrambled on...their knees?
I don't even know how to respond to this. What is your point and how is this a retort to my response?

Philter25 said:
Lol my eyes are open. I love Vince Young as a college FB QB. Im not a Young hater, he was one of the most exciting players to watch in college. However his college game does NOT translate well to the NFL. My office mate is a UT alum so we have football debates all throughout the college season so Im not some blindsighted idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.

Personally, I find it hilarious that someone who thought we should move ZT to Strong Safety is telling me to open my eyes and act like I dont know what Im talking about. :lol:

Stats are very deceiving. Do I dare bring up Tim Couch, or Jason White's stats they put up in college?

Also, Ronnie had the worst stats last year coming out as a RB... Williams and Caddy both had more yards than he did, so why did we pick him?

You expect Cutler, playing in the SEC at VANDERBILT, to put up heisman stats? Gimme a break. Its all about what translates to the NFL.

I like armstrength and a pocket passer and a guy with decent mechanics as my QB. Cutler >>>> Young in all those categories.

I'll know better than to try to make the off season interesting the next time..:boohoo:

I don't see any reason why Young won't be as a great NFL QB...He's been a winner right from High School to now...time will tell.

1- stats are not decieving. People are decieving. If you know how to read stats, they aren't decieving at all.

2. Who cares about Couch or White? For one, they didn't do nearly what Young did.

I just don't get this argument to begin with. Can I just list all the college quarterbacks that DIDN'T put up good stats that sucked in the NFL? It makes the same amount of sense.

Since when does "yards" equal stats? Ronnie had great STATS last year.

I expect one hell of a lot more out of Cutler than I've seen to justify this incredible hype he's gotten, that's for sure. And if you think Cutler would have done what Young did if HE was at Texas, you're kidding yourself.

Armstrength is 1) the single most overdrafter quality a QB can have. 2) Young also has it, anyway.

Young was a better POCKET passer than Cutler, too.

Mechanics... so I take it you're not a Marino fan? His throwing motion was considered unorthodox and worrisome to some.

I just have to think that most people here never watched Cutler or Young play.

Back
Top Bottom