Let's Look At The Last 5 Afc East Drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's Look At The Last 5 Afc East Drafts

With Seattle it seems they constantly had bad drafts after their Sb loss to New England, and probably why the Legion of Boom is dead already. Richard Sherman has known to have spoke out about the bad drafts several times during his career in Seattle.

I'm sure your right....but just trying to think of teams that have had success, mostly through the draft.

I think another interesting way to look at this is the combination of draft & free agency. I think in today's salary cap world, you probably need to reasonable success at both to make a run....the rams come to mind.

Those drafts were Tannebam and Hrier. I have no problem with their drafting.

It has been a little better as of late, but the 2016 draft is not at this point what I would call anything close to a success.

1.Charles Harris DE- (probable bust)
2.Raekwon McMillan LB- (below avg starter, though hoping for improvement next year)
3.Cordrea Tankersley CB- (fell off face of earth)
5.Isaac Asiata G- (still hasnt played)
5.Davon Godchaux DT- (decent role player for draft position)
6.Vincent Taylor DT- (decent role player for draft position)
7.Isaiah Ford WR- (shown nothing yet)

We need to do better than this, although it is still a little early to judge completely.

See guys, its not only dolphins that get rid of decent players who find more success elsewhere. Although comparing the phins to the Bills is not a good benchmark.

2.Robert Woods WR- W/LA Rams
2.Kiko Alonso LB- W/Miami
3.Marquise Goodwin WR- W/San Francisco

No real HR hit by any teams in the division there. In addition to the HC, QB dominance NE has had, they always seem to,cobble together both an offensive and defensive line that plays competent football. I feel like it has a lot to do,with coaching the guys up to execute the system. Every year we spend higher draft picks for our offensive line and they still suck, why?

i

1.DeVante Parker WR- 5th year option picked up W/Miami
2.Jordan Phillips DT- W/Buffalo
4.Jamil Douglas G- W/Tennessee
5.Bobby McCain CB- Extended W/Miami
5.Jay Ajayi RB- W/Philadelphia
5.Cedric Thompson S- Retired
5.Tony Lippett CB- W/Giants

i

2.Ronald Darby CB- W/Philadelphia
3.John Miller G-
5.Karlos Williams RB- FA
6.Tony Steward LB-FA
6.Nick O'Leary TE- W/Miami
7.Dezmin Lewis WR-FA

i

1.Leonard Williams DE- 5th year option picked up W/Jets
2.Devin Smith WR- FA
3.Lorenzo Mauldin LB-FA
4.Bryce Petty QB- FA
5.Jarvis Harrison G-FA
7.Deon Simon DT- W/Green Bay

i

1.Malcolm Brown DT- 5 year option declined w/New England
2.Jordan Richards S- W/Atlanta
3.Geneo Grissom DE- FA
4.Trey Flowers DE-
4.Tre' Jackson G- In AAF
4.Shaq Mason G- Extended w/New England
5.Joe Cardona LS- Extended w/New England

6.Matthew Wells LB- In AAF
6. AJ Derby TE- W/Miami
7.Darryl Roberts CB- W/Jets
7.Xzavier Dickson DE-FA

180px-2016_NFL_Draft_logo.svg.png

i

1.Laremy Tunsil OT-
2.Xavien Howard CB-
3.Kenyan Drake RB-
3.Leonte Carroo WR-
6.Jakeem Grant WR-

6.Jordan Lucas S- W/Kansas City
7.Brandon Doughty QB- FA
7.Thomas Duarte TE-FA

i

1.Shaq Lawson DE-
2.Reggie Ragland- W/Kansas City
3.Adolphus Washington DE- W/Cincinnati
4.Cardale Jones QB- W/LA Chargers
5.Jonathan Williams RB- W/Indianapolis
6.Kolby Listenbee WR-FA
6.Kevon Seymour CB- W/Carolina

i

1.Darron Lee LB-
2.Christian Hackenberg QB- In AAF
3.Jordan Jenkins LB-
4.Juston Burris CB-W/Cleveland
5.Brandon Shell OT-
7.Lac Edwards P-
7.Charone Peake WR-

i

2.Cyrus Jones CB- W/Baltimore
3.Joe Thuney OG-
3.Jacoby Brissett QB- W/Indianapolis
3.Vincent Valentine DT- FA
4.Malcolm Mitchell WR- FA
6.Kamu Grugier-Hill LB-W/Philadelphia
6.Elandon Roberts LB-
6.Ted Karras C-

7.Devin Lucien WR-FA

180px-2017_NFL_Draft_logo.svg.png

i

1.Charles Harris DE-
2.Raekwon McMillan LB-
3.Cordrea Tankersley CB-
5.Isaac Asiata G-
5.Davon Godchaux DT-
6.Vincent Taylor DT-
7.Isaiah Ford WR-

i

1.Tre'Davious White CB-
2.Zay Jones WR-
3.Dion Dawkins OT-
5.Matt Milano LB-

5.Nate Peterman QB-FA
6.Tanner Vallejo LB- W/Cleveland

i

1.Jamal Adams S-
2.Marcus Maye S-

3.ArDarius Stewart WR- FA
4.Chad Hensen WR- W/Denver
5.Jordan Leggett TE-
5.Dylan Donahue LB-FA
6.Elijah McGuire RB-
6.Jeremy Clark CB-
6.Derrick Jones CB-

i

3.Derek Rivers DE-
3.Antonio Garcia OT- W/Indianapolis
4.Deatrich Wise Jr DE-
6.Conor McDermott OT- W/Buffalo

The entire division is bad at drafting it seems. 4 team sample size here but it seems skill player rookies nowadays only get extended with their original teams if they're elite or above average, while non skill player rookies get extended if they're at least solid. New England seems to have a tendency to trade mediocre draft picks before their rookie deals end.

Before NYJ and BUF took QBs last draft in RD1, I find it a joke that both of them and MIA never made any serious moves to get a good QB to combat Tom Brady and Belichick in NE from 2013 to now, Though Buffalo did draft EJ Manuel and Miami was/is waiting on Tannehill who was drafted in 2012.

New England has Belichick and Brady and a sustained foundation to endure bad drafts. The rest of the division is held back from a never ending cycle of bad drafts, coaching changes, and musical chairs at QB and lack of being able to coach up and develop players. Such a shame.
Very interesting and well done. THX!

I would also like to see what players were traded to whom and for what as to judge help judge if that years draft was successful . Also, as I agree with other posters that LUCK has a lot to do with the draft in general, I think it should be pointed out the Pats, since usually drafting later than other three due to success (and if they don't trade pick) would probably have less overall success.

I think another part of the "LUCK" has to do with teams just ahead of another team picking who the Fins really wanted or differing opinions on some teams and settling on RIGHT or WRONG player. Some of this we will NEVER really know or depends on who u believe.

Just my 2 cents!

I would also like to see what players were traded to whom and for what as to judge help judge if that years draft was successful . Also, as I agree with other posters that LUCK has a lot to do with the draft in general, I think it should be pointed out the Pats, since usually drafting later than other three due to success (and if they don't trade pick) would probably have less overall success.

I think another part of the "LUCK" has to do with teams just ahead of another team picking who the Fins really wanted or differing opinions on some teams and settling on RIGHT or WRONG player. Some of this we will NEVER really know or depends on who u believe.

Just my 2 cents!
Miami traded Jordan Lucas to Kansas City for a 7th(?) drafted him in the 6th

Other one I remember while doing this is New England traded a S they drafted in round 2 to Atlanta for a 6th round pick I believe. We all know about Landry. There weren’t many trades during this span.

To put those picks into context though you'd have to consider what slot Miami drafted, who was still available, what FAs they signed, what the needs of the team were based on that years roster, and how the team played (what needs did they have in the draft), etc. We prob didn't pick a QB because we got Tannehill who was on the rise and had holes all over the roster. As much as I don't see Tannehill as the franchise QB I belive we need to really beef up the d-line and o-line so that in a year or two when we do take a QB we have key pieces in place to support them.

Just my 2 cents!

My favorite example is the 98 draft. Had indy taken Leaf, LAC would have been 'stuck' with PManning. Only (bad) luck made the difference.

That 2016 draft for Miami sure looks good. Tunsil and Howard have to be considered among the best at their positions. Drake and Grant are both contributors, offering some big-play potential.

The Dolphins need to find the right GM and head coach then they could take control of the division. Until they find the right people to run the team they will continue to fail. Get the right people in charge then build up your team including your QB.

Back
Top Bottom