Let's Talk Potential QBs in Rd 1 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's Talk Potential QBs in Rd 1

CK and Slimm are the most detail oriented posters on players in here, I value and trust both their comments. Thank you for both your thoughts and insights!

I'm actually hoping for the Phins to draft Chad Kelly. Now I wanna watch how Davis Webb performs.

I like Chad Kelly, my only worry is I think his upside might be non-existent.

But I like his attitude, being from upstate myself, he reminds me of a lot of guys I grew up with. Even the way he talks and acts in front of a camera, his haircut, just screams upstate NY kid. He's not in front of the camera to talk like a well trained politically correct qb. He's here for football and thats it.

He might be an a-hole at times, but he's not backing down from a fight and he's got his boys back. His teammates will see that and respect it. I think he brings something this roster desperately needs.

Athletically I have a hard time telling how fast or quick he will look on a NFL field, but he's very smart with how he runs, good at using angles, and finding space. But a lot of what he gets away with in college he won't in the NFL.

I do think he will get in trouble again if not multiple times though, I just don't care, I want some personality and toughness on this team. putting him in Miami Should probably worry you tough.

Have to be wary of Chad Kelly as there are a lot of "incidents" in his background. Suspended 7 games by Red Lion high school, then dismissed by Red Lion high school. Dismissed from Clemson. Arrested for multiple charges stemming from a late night incident in Buffalo.

Sense of entitlement due to being Jim Kelly's son drips all over that record.

Jim Kelly's son?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to be wary of Chad Kelly as there are a lot of "incidents" in his background. Suspended 7 games by Red Lion high school, then dismissed by Red Lion high school. Dismissed from Clemson. Arrested for multiple charges stemming from a late night incident in Buffalo.

Sense of entitlement due to being Jim Kelly's son drips all over that record.

I don't think he's entitled the way Manziel was, I just think he grew up a lot different than most people. In upstate ny the towns and cities are kind of in bubbles where no one outside knows what goes on there. Its kind if like the wild west.

That night incident in buffalo is normal everyday activity for upstate kids. We used to form a circle and 2 people used to fight in the middle since I was in 3rd grade. We did that until high school. Fighting and drinking is normal upstate, he will grow out of it.

As long as he takes football seriously, I like the attitude, after tannehill/Henne please no more boring played scared QBs. Those guys personalities matched their play on the field. I want to see a qb show some balls on the field.

I really like Brad Kaaya as a pro prospect. And he has had a very, very good first 2 1/3 seasons as a Canes QB. But if he does come out this year (which isn't a certainty), IMHO he would need to sit a year before being ready to win in the NFL. It's not that he's raw, but he is a limited athlete, and has to win executing the offense with precision. And he's good at that. But I think I'd prefer he sit a year and learn the offense before taking the reigns at this level. Just my 2 cents.

I'd be very surprised if Kaaya declared this year. Borderline shocked.

His frame is unimpressive. I've seen him in person on campus while attending the basketball games. He looks like Dorsey 15 years ago. Definitely needs another year to bulk up, which Dorsey attempted but he lacked Kaaya's overall ability level.

There's also the impression that the Canes are finally building something but 2016 is one year too soon. That may not prove to be correct but there's some logic to it and I think Kaaya will align there. He went cross country to go to school instead of staying comfortable nearby at some place like UCLA so there's a commitment level that not all players share.

Kaaya is a bit like Goff in that he simply lacks athletic ability and there's no method to fix or even deny. It's more than amusing when Miami runs zone read looks out of the shotgun, since Kaaya is zero threat to actually keep the ball. On a poor team Kaaya could get buried in the pocket and seem overmatched.

His arm is better than advertised or generally acknowledged. Very easy intermediate sideline throws. Touch is superior to Tannehill's but not ideal. That has led to some awful red zone interceptions in which Kaaya forced the ball instead of dropping it off the rooftop like collegiate Leinart. For such a cerebral player those red zone picks are alarming.

Kaaya has also been a frontrunner to this point. Very distinct tendency. That's why this season has gone smoothly with the Canes ahead almost without exception. His struggles in 2016 were against Florida Atlantic when Miami started slowly. Last season I attended the roader at Cincinnati. That opponent was psyched for a Thursday night nationally televised game. Still, the defense was small and vulnerable. Kaaya started fine but once the Bearcats assumed an advantage Kaaya's level of confidence and play declined noticeably. He didn't look like an NFL starter in the second half. Likewise as a freshman against Florida State when the first half was smooth sailing but once the Seminoles tightened up Kaaya was more tense, and once behind he threw a late pick to Ramsey to finish the game.

That's another reason I think Kaaya will stay through his senior season, to balance out the troubling aspects of his game. He is aware of them, based on some radio interviews.

My comparison would be to a younger player. I realize that's a twist. Kaaya reminds me of Rosen of UCLA, although not as mobile.

I don't think he's entitled the way Manziel was, I just think he grew up a lot different than most people. In upstate ny the towns and cities are kind of in bubbles where no one outside knows what goes on there. Its kind if like the wild west.

That night incident in buffalo is normal everyday activity for upstate kids. We used to form a circle and 2 people used to fight in the middle since I was in 3rd grade. We did that until high school. Fighting and drinking is normal upstate, he will grow out of it.

As long as he takes football seriously, I like the attitude, after tannehill/Henne please no more boring played scared QBs. Those guys personalities matched their play on the field. I want to see a qb show some balls on the field.

It's not normal to get kicked out of your high school AND college, regardless of where you grew up. And it's certainly not a great sign of your worth as a football asset.

It's not normal to get kicked out of your high school AND college, regardless of where you grew up. And it's certainly not a great sign of your worth as a football asset.

Agreed, which is why I said I think he will get in trouble again.

Do either of you feel like we should play Doughty to see how he plays? Or was he a 7th rounder for a reason and we need to groom him to be a career backup?

Kid's a long shot to be good at best. If you're thinking is maybe we have a Dak Prescott in the wings it isn't going to come fruition. Doughty will get his shot next pre-season to win the battle for QB but given that he will likely be battling a 1st round pick it won't be much of a competition.

How do you guys feel about Baker Mayfield?? Just started watching him and his throwing motion is elongated and a hair slow but man he sure does have a passion for the game.

Thoughts on where he goes and where you think his ceiling is?

How do you guys feel about Baker Mayfield?? Just started watching him and his throwing motion is elongated and a hair slow but man he sure does have a passion for the game.

Thoughts on where he goes and where you think his ceiling is?

"Do you want fries with that"?...that's his NFL ceiling.

I live in Upstate Ny about 40 mins outside Buffalo. No this is not normal behavior. We did not get booted from schools or have fight circles. Wth?

Back
Top Bottom