Likely Cap Cuts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Likely Cap Cuts

Brother would be a big dead cap hit this year. Next year a release could take place. Will be interesting to see what they can get in a trade, and if they feel they can replace him in the draft. :ffic:
I should have never posted in this thread I was shooting from the hip. Honestly guys I am not as dialed in on the cap situation as you all. I don’t see the value in Byron at all and understand he would be hard to replace. I also think DVP blocks the development of youth . If we were to drop Byron it could only happen if we had an active replacement which we dont .

IMO DVP is an asset but we don’t need him. Thanks for helping me along though guys . Go fins

TK

I should have never posted in this thread I was shooting from the hip. Honestly guys I am not as dialed in on the cap situation as you all. I don’t see the value in Byron at all and understand he would be hard to replace. I also think DVP blocks the development of youth . If we were to drop Byron it could only happen if we had an active replacement which we dont .

IMO DVP is an asset but we don’t need him. Thanks for helping me along though guys . Go fins

TK
It’s all good brother. Have a good one! :ffic:

Again... no.

When you cut the 51st player, then the 52nd player counts instead.

For instance, you cut Munson, but now the 52nd player's 895,000 salary counts against the cap when it didn't before.

Your REAL savings against the cap when cutting him releasing Munson would be 249k.
Real savings for those 4 guys is about 5 mil total

At this point I'm just going to concentrate on 2022 and see what this team can do. The Bengals made it to the SB when nobody expected them to. Now the AFC has gotten stronger but we'll see how we do and then we'll worry about who to cut later on.

Cut Byron Jones
who will play opposite X ??? imo , we excel when we play cover 0 and we can do that because of Jones and X. yes, they are both expensive but i think we need both.. i wish iggy would step up

None of these guys matter. Munson had a good preseason last year but is a developmental player. Gaskin blows. We signed a ST “ace” so the other two are out.
What do you mean you didn't know that? Of course you knew that! Unless you thought that by cutting a player it automatically meant their replacement on the roster doesn't count against the cap?

Cethan Carter
$2,525,000 SAVED | $0 DEAD

Clayton Fejedelem
$2,775,000 SAVED | $0 DEAD

Myles Gaskin
$2,540,000 SAVED | $21,777 DEAD

Calvin Munson
$1,144,412 SAVED |$20,000 DEAD

Munson stays the rest are goners I’d add maybe Shaheen as well assuming we keep Gesicki,long and smythe.

At this point I'm just going to concentrate on 2022 and see what this team can do. The Bengals made it to the SB when nobody expected them to. Now the AFC has gotten stronger but we'll see how we do and then we'll worry about who to cut later on.
Totally agree. I haven't felt like this about a Dolphins team for a long time. All the talk about trading Parker - unless we need the cap space for something specific - why? Why lose him? Keep him as WR4 and push the cap is tight as you can. If everything clicks this year we have a roster capable of winning playoff games. Let's not wait for some evangelical perfect situation before going all in on a season. We have a 4 year Waddle / Hill window, let's do everything we can to win now in each of those 4 seasons, starting now.

What I would be interested in is taking cap relief from the likes of Fedejelem / Rowe / Carter and Gaskin to make a run at another vet free agent that wants to come here to win a ring THIS YEAR. Calais Campbell winning a SB in Miami? Surely he'd play for cheap. JPP, Clowney, Barr, Mathieu, Barnett, Tretter, Gilmore, Wagner - Even if some of them would be situational, those are the types of signings that change closer games and offer depth. They make more sense to us now than a deep development guy.

Wait what? I’m confused!
All @Feverdream was pointing out is that if you cut any one of those players from the 53, you still need to pay someone else to be on the 53. So if you state Munson is $1.1m in cap relief to cut him... He's not really. If you have to pay the guy that takes his spot on the 53 $800k, you only really saved $300k against the cap.

The money saved listed by the OP are accurate, but you need to think of them as a discount from the eventual bill, rather than cash in hand.

If we could sign a LB to take Munson's spot for $4m, cutting Munson would offer $1.1m discount from that $4m from a cap perspective. If you're thinking that cutting Munson today would be $1.1m erased from the total cap bill, it would not, because you'd have to pay somebody else to be on the 53.

Again... no.

When you cut the 51st player, then the 52nd player counts instead.

For instance, you cut Munson, but now the 52nd player's 895,000 salary counts against the cap when it didn't before.

Your REAL savings against the cap when cutting him releasing Munson would be 249k.
Yes and you are also assuming after cuts that this is the final roster. This only matters on the final round of cuts when the rosters are final.

Cut Byron Jones
You should probably take a look at his contract before making silly statements like that. Aside from the fact that cutting him would actually result in a negative for the cap, who are you going to replace him with? You need two good corners to play this scheme,and there's no point in creating a hole.

What, exactly, are you thinking? Serious question, as I can't see any possible way it makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom