Likely Cap Cuts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Likely Cap Cuts

Brother would be a big dead cap hit this year. Next year a release could take place. Will be interesting to see what they can get in a trade, and if they feel they can replace him in the draft. :ffic:
It would still save 3.5m for the team. Not a lot but if you need to cash, sure. Best bet is to trade him but even then Miami is on the hook for his signing bonus which is 2.7m this year and next 2.7m next year.

I should have never posted in this thread I was shooting from the hip. Honestly guys I am not as dialed in on the cap situation as you all. I don’t see the value in Byron at all and understand he would be hard to replace. I also think DVP blocks the development of youth . If we were to drop Byron it could only happen if we had an active replacement which we dont .

IMO DVP is an asset but we don’t need him. Thanks for helping me along though guys . Go fins

TK
i'm glad you posted this thread.. having a cap "expert" is essential today. teams that know who to manage their cap creatively definitely have an advantage.. stay well

It would still save 3.5m for the team. Not a lot but if you need to cash, sure. Best bet is to trade him but even then Miami is on the hook for his signing bonus which is 2.7m this year and next 2.7m next year.
$3.5m in savings this year? Are you sure? OTC have him as $20m in dead money and $4.2m less cap space if he's cut pre June 1st.

Sorry!! Thought we were talking about Jones! 🤣
Lol. I realized that after I posted, so I deleted the post.

Yes, it would be foolish to cut Jones, both from a contract standpoint, as well as from a replacement issue.

All @Feverdream was pointing out is that if you cut any one of those players from the 53, you still need to pay someone else to be on the 53. So if you state Munson is $1.1m in cap relief to cut him... He's not really. If you have to pay the guy that takes his spot on the 53 $800k, you only really saved $300k against the cap.

The money saved listed by the OP are accurate, but you need to think of them as a discount from the eventual bill, rather than cash in hand.

If we could sign a LB to take Munson's spot for $4m, cutting Munson would offer $1.1m discount from that $4m from a cap perspective. If you're thinking that cutting Munson today would be $1.1m erased from the total cap bill, it would not, because you'd have to pay somebody else to be on the 53.
Ah right - makes sense. I don’t know why I wasn’t “getting it”. Thanks!

$1.8m towards a replacement to cut Shaheen.

I don’t think we need 4 tight ends so he doesn’t need to be replaced if that’s the plan. Obviously I have no clue what mcdaniels plans on doing but feel like 4 is a lot.

I should have never posted in this thread I was shooting from the hip. Honestly guys I am not as dialed in on the cap situation as you all. I don’t see the value in Byron at all and understand he would be hard to replace. I also think DVP blocks the development of youth . If we were to drop Byron it could only happen if we had an active replacement which we dont .

IMO DVP is an asset but we don’t need him. Thanks for helping me along though guys . Go fins

TK
Having Byron allows X to bait QB's into bad throws on his side. Byron is a good to very good CB. The knock on him is he doesn't get enough turnovers, he doesn't play the ball as well as X. He has been beaten, but his coverage skills allow us to be more aggressive with our blitzes and safety's. DVP has basically one more year on his extension, and is relatively cheap for a mid caliber WR. Now the we have the Cheetah's we can use Parker in the role he's best suited for, unless we can turn him into decent draft choices. To replace Parker with a FA would be more expensive and maybe not the quality we already have. IMO bad places to try to save a few pennies.

I don’t think we need 4 tight ends so he doesn’t need to be replaced if that’s the plan. Obviously I have no clue what mcdaniels plans on doing but feel like 4 is a lot.
Well he does need to be replaced as the NFL don't allow you to carry 52 men on the roster. Nor do they allow you to not take a cap hit for even the 53rd man on it.

I think 4 is pretty standard. Usually the fourth guy gets a lot of ST duties, and is around in case of an injury.

We have Gesicki, Smythe, Long, Shaheen, Carter and Ingold between TE and FB

TK
I agree about not understanding cap rules. Remember Donna what’s her name? She was supposed to be a cap master.

We have Gesicki, Smythe, Long, Shaheen, Carter and Ingold between TE and FB
Nice list, thanks. I assume Gesicki, Long, and Ingold are safe as they were tagged, recently drafted, and recently signed respectively.

Back
Top Bottom