Lions bad mouthed Miami coaching staff to secure Woody | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions bad mouthed Miami coaching staff to secure Woody

ProgMan

Rookie
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-marvez08mar08,0,3072569.column

From the Sun-Sentinal...
"Thanks to a ridiculously high contract offer, the Detroit Lions were able to sign offensive lineman Damien Woody last week after he canceled a scheduled free-agent trip to the Dolphins. But just to ensure the deal didn't fall apart, an NFL source said the Lions bad-mouthed the Dolphins by saying the Dave Wannstedt-led coaching staff would probably be fired at the end of the 2004 season."

Ouch. I guess if that's what it took...

That scenario continues to worry me with any free agents. They obviously know Wanny has got a year to do something and the entire coaching staff could be gone after a year.

Stability is something most teams definitely have on us.

I will say this on Woody. I think with the money they were offering him, it might not have mattered what our coaching situation was. Money talks.

Is it really a case of "bad-mouthing" or just stating the truth?

Miami dropped out of the bidding war for Woody.
All the Woody issue came down to was money.
Miami did the right thing and not spend that kind of money on a gaurd.
By signing James they saved money and still are shopping for more OL.

Originally posted by 4THand10
Miami dropped out of the bidding war for Woody.
All the Woody issue came down to was money.
Miami did the right thing and not spend that kind of money on a gaurd.
By signing James they saved money and still are shopping for more OL.

That's exactly right. The Lions have been a doormat in the NFL for most part of the last 30 years. If we looked up overall W-L pct, # of playoff appearances, etc, for that time, they would rank, I would guess, in the bottom 5 among all teams that have been in existence that long.
The F#cking Lions should keep their big fat mouths shut and get their own house in order before they cast any disparaging remarks toward other teams.
You know it had to come down to money. That is just common sense in this case. Who in their right mind would want to live in Dirty Town playing for a perennial loser, rather than sunny South Florida playing for one of the franchises that is consistently in the upper third in the league at the very least, if the money was equal?

You've gotta do whatever you can to get a player of his caliber. It may be a bit shady but they weren't really lying were they?

Well, perhaps their coaching staff has more stability, but it doesn't make them any more of a winner. The last I checked, the Packers, Vikings and sometimes Bears seem to wipe the floor with them more times than not. Woody wasn't coming here anyway with the amount of money they gave him. He was obviously in it for the money, and who can blame him? Someone throws that much cash at you when you have already won two world championships, I think most would take it.

Unfortunately, that's the business of the NFL whether we like it or not. It might be true that Wanny may not be here next season, but the Lions should realize that Miami's problems are none of their business.

Originally posted by SMadison29
You've gotta do whatever you can to get a player of his caliber. It may be a bit shady but they weren't really lying were they?

if you think by now that money isnt the first thing on a players mind, then you have been living in a different world. the media, once again, knowing that you are fed up with this regime, is feeding you more fire. thats all. Woody went right to detroit. why? why did he go to detroit of all places? im tellin ya, there is a detroit connection somewhere. i mean, bills fans thought he was going to be an overnight deal with them and he ends up in detroit! ??? what the hell. it only means one thing, they knew they had him and were only trying to put the icing on the cake. Woody was already convinced in playing in detroit.

and lets look at detroit and there "stability". You got that fat head in Matt Millen running the show and saying some pretty crappy things. You got Marriucci who is not really that good a coach and is a bit of a nondisciplinarian. You got a team who has never ever put it all together in all there history. You got no RB. You got a WR who has to live up to high expectations and his injury may set him back. You have Harrington as well who needs to live to expectations and so far, he has not looked good.
Anyone can find some things missing in DEtroit. Our "Stability" is as stable as anyone in the league except Belechick.

It is common practice in free agent dealings to bad-mouth other potential suitors. The Lions didn't do anything shady.

Originally posted by ProgMan
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-marvez08mar08,0,3072569.column

From the Sun-Sentinal...
"Thanks to a ridiculously high contract offer, the Detroit Lions were able to sign offensive lineman Damien Woody last week after he canceled a scheduled free-agent trip to the Dolphins. But just to ensure the deal didn't fall apart, an NFL source said the Lions bad-mouthed the Dolphins by saying the Dave Wannstedt-led coaching staff would probably be fired at the end of the 2004 season."

Ouch. I guess if that's what it took...

What's he going to do, praise the Dolphins?

I just don't get this kind of POV.

Oliver...

I don't find their statements that far from the truth. I would also think that from Woody's perspective that might be a good thing.:escape:

That's hilarious....

especially since one of the best football players of all time, just up and quit the game, because they wouldn't trade him and they sucked sooo bad.

( reporter: So why did you quit Barry?
Barry Sanders: I got tired of losing :lol: )

nonetheless, the Lions have a point, and at this point in Damian Woody's carreer (2 superbowl championships), money talks. Had Arizona been in the mix for his services and outbid Detroit, he probably would've went there. I don't blame him either.

nonetheless, the Lions have a point, and at this point in Damian Woody's carreer (2 superbowl championships), money talks. Had Arizona been in the mix for his services and outbid Detroit, he probably would've went there. I don't blame him either.

I do not doubt that he went there for the money. The truth is we don't know if that is true or he went there bc he didn't like Wanny... I'll say one thing though, IF he left purely for the $... THEN I do NOT want him on this team. I want players that are fired up to win, not cash the biggest paycheck.

Originally posted by Oboy

I do not doubt that he went there for the money. The truth is we don't know if that is true or he went there bc he didn't like Wanny... I'll say one thing though, IF he left purely for the $... THEN I do NOT want him on this team. I want players that are fired up to win, not cash the biggest paycheck.

I guess you won't miss Todd Wade...:)

Back
Top Bottom