Lions bad mouthed Miami coaching staff to secure Woody | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lions bad mouthed Miami coaching staff to secure Woody

Then I guess you dont want JT, Zach, Sam, timbo...

Originally posted by Oboy

I do not doubt that he went there for the money. The truth is we don't know if that is true or he went there bc he didn't like Wanny... I'll say one thing though, IF he left purely for the $... THEN I do NOT want him on this team. I want players that are fired up to win, not cash the biggest paycheck.

Do you know that Out of the big 4 professional sports (hockey, Baseball, football, and Basketball) football players are the lowest paid, and their contracts aren't garaunteed.

case in point, look a 2 florida basketball players that are and have been getting paid their full multi-million $ salaries even though they've been injured... Grant Hill and the now retired yet still recieving full pay Alonzo Mourning.

I dont even think football players on the average recieve up to 40% of the value of their contracts.

So at any given play or sunday, a player can lose his career and even his life with one reckless play...(Chad Clifton almost did).

So given all of this knowledge and knowing you've already won 2 championships, I would assume that most people on this board would go for the more upfront-garaunteed money. And I think it has less to do with integrity and more to do with, "I'm taking care of my family and myself"...

Ultimately, that has a lot more integrity than some game.

Man you really should search for that post that Mark Dixon's e-wife wrote about him, it should shed some light on the nasty part of footbal that we don't often hear the details about. Maybe it would change your mind.

Originally posted by finfan54

if you think by now that money isnt the first thing on a players mind, then you have been living in a different world. the media, once again, knowing that you are fed up with this regime, is feeding you more fire. thats all. Woody went right to detroit. why? why did he go to detroit of all places? im tellin ya, there is a detroit connection somewhere. i mean, bills fans thought he was going to be an overnight deal with them and he ends up in detroit! ??? what the hell. it only means one thing, they knew they had him and were only trying to put the icing on the cake. Woody was already convinced in playing in detroit.

and lets look at detroit and there "stability". You got that fat head in Matt Millen running the show and saying some pretty crappy things. You got Marriucci who is not really that good a coach and is a bit of a nondisciplinarian. You got a team who has never ever put it all together in all there history. You got no RB. You got a WR who has to live up to high expectations and his injury may set him back. You have Harrington as well who needs to live to expectations and so far, he has not looked good.
Anyone can find some things missing in DEtroit. Our "Stability" is as stable as anyone in the league except Belechick.

These are valid points you raise. However, the money was not that different. We were offering $8 M + and he got $9.5 M. in bonus money. And, overall, I don't think were were that far off. When you factor in the state taxes in Michigan, that makes the bonus $$ even closer.

I'm sure it made a difference. But, if he thought Dave W. was a solid coach and was going to be here for some time ... he may have changed his mind.

The point is still a valid one that if money is close, and the perception is there about Dave, then that could sway a player - Do you really want to commit to a coach who's future is very much in doubt? Not knowing who will be here the following year?

In Detroit and Chicago it's likely that those coaches will be there at least the next two years - most likely the next 3-4.

Even if we love Dave W and want him to stay for 10 years, his situation now may impact free agency.

But, I'm happy with McIntosh's signing.

Originally posted by ProgMan
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-marvez08mar08,0,3072569.column

From the Sun-Sentinal...
"Thanks to a ridiculously high contract offer, the Detroit Lions were able to sign offensive lineman Damien Woody last week after he canceled a scheduled free-agent trip to the Dolphins. But just to ensure the deal didn't fall apart, an NFL source said the Lions bad-mouthed the Dolphins by saying the Dave Wannstedt-led coaching staff would probably be fired at the end of the 2004 season."

Ouch. I guess if that's what it took...

Guess there IS light at the end of the tunnel !! ;) :lol:
Probably more truth to that than we'll ever know.
OK, Media war now ?? GAME on !! :D

Back
Top Bottom