Looking at O-Linemen still availible | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking at O-Linemen still availible

I think you are greatly underestimating what a new center, coming into a a new blocking scheme, with different protection calls, and an entire line that is unfamiliar with each other would entail if you are refering specifically to the Dolphins.

McD has already spoken about the importance of cadence, and it's nuances. I'm not as high on Tretter as most here to begin with, but regardless of who is anchoring that position, I want him taking a majority of the snaps fro day 1 of minicamp.

It's fine if ppl don't think it is important because he is a veteran, but i think it is incredibly foolish to dismiss the need for the linemen, and center in particular, to work together as much as possible before opening day.
stop trying to make so much sense....some people here don’t want to hear it.

Tretter all day long. Not expensive and fills a need.
How do you know he is not expensive? If he was cheap someone would have signed him already. Tretter is probably looking for one last pay day on like a 3+ year deal. But nobody is desperate enough right now to throw that out there with his knee issues.

If we don’t get another tackle, and Armstead goes down, we could be right where we were last year.
Perhaps but there is also the possibility that the coaches they have now can do a much better job of providing quality coaching to the young offensive linemen than the previous coaches did.

The fact is if a starting tackle for the majority of the teams goes down. Few teams in the league have backup tackles to overcome that loss.

The answer is yes and no. Yes if you really need to sign someone, no if you want to roll over some cap to offset this years big acquisitions 2023.
That right there is what some people don’t seem to understand ........we spent big already this year. We need to rollover the money and we should keep those 2023 picks.....those 5 picks we have in the top 3 rounds would be great for the cap......5 potentially good players on rookie deals.

I have this gut feeling that Deiter is someone the organization thinks could develop under the new coaching staff.

The fact that teams have apparently inquired about Deiter is a potentially positive sign. I also thought Miami's offensive line played better when Deiter was healthy.

Of course, Grier could sign Tretter and prove me wrong! Not much left on the offensive line to make a move for.

I'd look to add some competition in the draft.

I don't see Dieter who is also in a new system with a bunch of new line mates would have an upper hand on a newcomer in that area.

Plus you know......talent.
I was replying to a post that implied Tretter wouldn't need to practice or get work in the preseason because he is a veteran. Context brother......

I have this gut feeling that Deiter is someone the organization thinks could develop under the new coaching staff.

The fact that teams have apparently inquired about Deiter is a potentially positive sign. I also thought Miami's offensive line played better when Deiter was healthy.

Of course, Grier could sign Tretter and prove me wrong! Not much left on the offensive line to make a move for.

I'd look to add some competition in the draft.
Give that man a cigar....

This year we killed the free agency would be nice to add a couple more players to fill certain holes, I do think this year the idea was to concentrate on getting good to very good players in via fa which sounds obvious but sometimes you can just fill positions out of necessity and not making the team better. Next year I think it'll be more draft oriented with 5 picks in the top 100 and not much going on in fa. We had a good platform with this team already and then had a grade A fa this year next year hopefully we'll put the finishing touches in the draft. Superbowl next year, play off win this year

Miami has around 21 million in cap space still after restructuring X and trading DVP
Not per the websites Im reading below. They say 8-14mil. Most team usually leave additional money for in season signings for replacing injured players or signing their rookies. I dont think we got the cash, nor should we spend what we do.

Pivoting the convo slightly but is it weird that I think Jackson with his athletic ability might actually be a good guard one day and Hunt with his size and prior success at the position would be a good RT?

Pivoting the convo slightly but is it weird that I think Jackson with his athletic ability might actually be a good guard one day and Hunt with his size and prior success at the position would be a good RT?
See I'm wondering that as well, people have already quit on Jackson but I haven't yet. This seasons training camp will probably make or break Jackson I just hope he improves with the new coaching staff

Not per the websites Im reading below. They say 8-14mil. Most team usually leave additional money for in season signings for replacing injured players or signing their rookies. I dont think we got the cash, nor should we spend what we do.

We have 21 million. Look at Spotrac (2nd link you provided) and it says 21 million. OTC hasn't updated som contracts like Howard's. Also we don't need any cap for the rookie class as only the top contracts count towards the cap. Since our picks are all 3rd and below only the 3rd pick will break into the top 51 and only by like 1000 dollars.

Now I don't think we should be spending any more big money so we can roll over some for next year. But we can afford more this year if they want the big issue would be it needs to basically be a one year deal because of how tight we will be with the cap next year.

That right there is what some people don’t seem to understand ........we spent big already this year. We need to rollover the money and we should keep those 2023 picks.....those 5 picks we have in the top 3 rounds would be great for the cap......5 potentially good players on rookie deals.
Gotcha.

Do we know that Tretter is that far off from being ready to go?

That would explain why he has not signed yet.

I think if healthy he is a pretty big upgrade over Deiter but maybe the new staff thinks they can polish him up into a solid starter.

I am curious to see what a staff that seems to have legit bona fides in terms of OL coaching can do with Deiter, Jackson and Eichenberg.

Hell, maybe we will see something out of Kindley!

Back
Top Bottom