Looks Like Smith At #2 -- Or Trade??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looks Like Smith At #2 -- Or Trade???

Heres the thing, though:

Its unanimously agreed upon that Sabans first preference is to trade down. He's tryng to accoplish this by threatening to take a QB, in order to generate interest from other teams that also want a QB. Using this strategy, if he succeeds to trade down with a team desperate for Smith/Rogers, he can do so ONLY by giving up on the opportunity to draft a QB himself in round one.

From this, I deduce that he feels VERY strongly about one of the mid round QB's - Cambpell, Greene, Frye, Orton, Orlovsky, McPherson, or Walter.

So who is it?

GazPhin said:
he may be right to say if we can't move out we'll take Smith because only a QB is worth the $$$ we have to pay the no. 2 pick.

ALthough there is that talk of SF offering Rodgers the cheaper deal which would in turn make everyone else get significantly lower than their positions did last year, meaning our #2 pick could end up being paid like a number 10 pick. Also, if I remember correctly, not only are you paid by draft position, but by playing position too, and each has a value. For instance if a QB drafted #2 overall would get a higher contract than a RB drafted #2 overall, if I am correct. It isn't just like "#1 overall gets this, #2 gets this amount etc etc" their playing position is a factor too. An O-Lineman drafted #2 overall won't get the same contract a QB drafted #2 overall will

Surferosa said:
Heres the thing, though:

Its unanimously agreed upon that Sabans first preference is to trade down. He's tryng to accoplish this by threatening to take a QB, in order to generate interest from other teams that also want a QB. Using this strategy, if he succeeds to trade down with a team desperate for Smith/Rogers, he can do so ONLY by giving up on the opportunity to draft a QB himself in round one.

From this, I deduce from this that he feels VERY strongly about one of the mid round QB's - Cambpell, Greene, Orton, Orlovsky, McPherson, or Walter.

So who is it?

That, or he just thinks QB isn't our biggest need and feels that we can adequately fill the position in the later rounds. He has said he wants to give AJ another shot. Now that doesn't mean he won't draft a QB, because getting another shot doesn't mean he won't take a QB now for insurance later, but I don't think he has to "feel VERY strongly" about another QB later on, he just has to feel that another QB is capable without spending a 1st rounder

Agent51 said:
That, or he just thinks QB isn't our biggest need and feels that we can adequately fill the position in the later rounds. He has said he wants to give AJ another shot. Now that doesn't mean he won't draft a QB, because getting another shot doesn't mean he won't take a QB now for insurance later, but I don't think he has to "feel VERY strongly" about another QB later on, he just has to feel that another QB is capable without spending a 1st rounder

Think of it this way:

If he wants to draft a Smith at #2, and he knows the team drafting before him is also considering him, why does he suddenly mention it to the world ONE WEEK before the draft? It makes no sense, especialy coming from guy that super strict about bwing tight-lipped. It has to be to get someone elses attention.

I would hope its either Campbell, McPherson or Greene, Surf.

UncleJamFinFan said:
Here's the story: grains of salt not included --

Saban ready to deal at No. 2

spacer-1.gif

Dolphins coach Nick Saban has decided QB Alex Smith is the best pick at No. 2. But Saban is willing to trade down, sources say, and the Bucs are interested.
spacer-1.gif

[size=-1]BY ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLE[/size]
spacer-1.gif

[size=-1]asalguero@herald.com[/size]
spacer-1.gif

The Dolphins are focused on drafting Utah quarterback Alex Smith with the second overall pick, but Miami also is in discussions with at least one team about trading that selection.

One source said Thursday that coach Nick Saban has decided Smith -- not any of the likely available running backs such as Auburn's Ronnie Brown -- would be the best pick for Miami at No. 2, assuming California quarterback Aaron Rodgers is drafted by San Francisco.

But two league sources also confirmed the Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have discussed a possible trade involving both teams' first-round selections and other considerations.

The Bucs, who pick fifth overall, are apparently equally enamored with the idea of selecting Smith at No. 2. Tampa Bay's brain trust decided last weekend Smith is a better prospect than Rodgers.

The Bucs' interest became more serious Thursday after it seemed likely the 49ers will take Rodgers, leaving Smith available. The 49ers had contract discussions with Mike Sullivan, who represents Rodgers, on Wednesday, and the discussions reportedly laid a positive foundation for a deal.

Tom Condon, who represents Smith, was scheduled to fly to San Francisco on Thursday to try to lay a similar foundation for his client, but the league sources say that session doesn't offer the same prospect for success as the one with Rodgers' agent.

Assuming that scenario holds, the Bucs want to move up. But the price, as with all such trades, would be the subject of intense negotiations.

A FAIR EXCHANGE

The Dolphins, like all other NFL teams, have a trade-value chart that outlines the price for trading draft picks.

Saban said two weeks ago he would ''absolutely'' go by that chart in deciding the value of a trade.

And according to most such charts, Tampa Bay would have to give up its first, second and third-round picks this year to move up three slots to Miami's spot.

The teams also might discuss exchanging draft picks next year should the Bucs balk at making the three-for-one deal now.

The Dolphins also are going to try to involve other teams in the bidding process to drive up the price of a trade, although it is unclear whether any other team has stepped forward.

So what if that all fails?

Smith, who visited with Saban and other team staffers Wednesday and Thursday, according to Condon, is the apparent choice.

QB OR NOT QB?

Saban has said the quarterback is the most valued player on any team.

''That guy handles the ball every time, he makes a decision on every play,'' he said during the NFL owners' meetings last month. ``So it's a critical position in terms of not just stability but knowledge, experience, judgment, making good decisions and that type of thing.

``We feel we have some talented people on our team right now, but everybody has to prove they can play with consistency.''

That doesn't mean Smith is a can't-miss prospect. He played in a college offense that rarely used anything other than a shotgun spread formation. And Saban has bemoaned the odds of taking a quarterback with such an early pick.

''The history of drafting [successful] quarterbacks in the first round is a 30-percent hit,'' Saban said. ``I don't know what the odds are on a craps table in Vegas, but I know about that one.''

Link: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11399551.htm

As I've been saying........................................

I'm an advocate for McPherson........and for Saban being tight-lipped....it came from a 'source' not Saban so it could be true.....or not.....as for the 'source'...someone may be getting tired inside the organization of the 'tight-lipped' statute or maybe ones to be able to chuckle inside that they're the one who said such and such....

Surferosa said:
Heres the thing, though:

From this, I deduce from this that he feels VERY strongly about one of the mid round QB's - Cambpell, Greene, Orton, Orlovsky, McPherson, or Walter.

So who is it?

I don't think he is just threatening to take a QB. He will take one if there is not a trade. I would be equally happy with a trade or smith. This years draft is finally a can't lose situation for us phin fans. Its about time. We can sit back and finally enjoy the fireworks and wait for the surprise. :)

Surferosa said:
Heres the thing, though:

So who is it?

No one knows for sure what his preference is, it may a combination of things that have him going public now.

By doing so he may be killing tradedown opportunities for teams going after Braylon Edwards, I think your "feels VERY strongly" about a later quarterback theory is a major reach, Possible, but hardly indicitive from this new information.

I think Saban has determined that Smith is the best candidate, and unless someone pays and pays dearly he will draft Alex Smith and the Miami Dolphins will have solved their quarterbacking problems for the next 15 years.

I don't think Saban views this as a one year rebuild, that he must fill every position of need right now.

Surferosa said:
This is obvious posturing on Sabans part. He knows promoting his interest in one of the RB's will not garner any trade interest, but pushing for a QB will.

Im STILL not really convinced that hes interested in QB. I really like the way hes handling the draft and FA.

That's a good point. I really don't see the point in letting your intentions known at this point anyway unless you want to attract wandering ears. If we actually ARE taking Smith at #2, I'd think we'd be so much sold on him that we wouldn't be willing to trade that pick for God himself. There are other players that can steady a shaky mind and I don't think Saban is sold on Smith at all.

Surferosa said:
Think of it this way:

If he wants to draft a Smith at #2, and he knows the team drafting before him is also considering him, why does he suddenly mention it to the world ONE WEEK before the draft? It makes no sense, especialy coming from guy that super strict about bwing tight-lipped. It has to be to get someone elses attention.

Because it no longer matters, he is high on Smith, that will be his choice........unless.........somebody knocks his socks off in a trade.

Won't happen, Tampa can't afford to give up what it will take, they have more holes than we do....................!

GazPhin said:
he may be right to say if we can't move out we'll take Smith because only a QB is worth the $$$ we have to pay the no. 2 pick.

That too.Its Win-Win as far as I can see.:)

HysterikiLL said:
That's a good point. I really don't see the point in letting your intentions known at this point anyway unless you want to attract wandering ears. If we actually ARE taking Smith at #2, I'd think we'd be so much sold on him that we wouldn't be willing to trade that pick for God himself. There are other players that can steady a shaky mind and I don't think Saban is sold on Smith at all.

Wrong, its only wise to always have everything you own for sale, you never know when a sucker will come along and severly overpay ala Mike Ditka.

Keep in mind here that Linehan wants this kid so there is probably some real desire to get this kid and he has the kind of nature that Saban likes.

finfan54 said:
Keep in mind here that Linehan wants this kid so there is probably some real desire to get this kid and he has the kind of nature that Saban likes.

Yes and the brains......32 td's /4 interceptions doesn't hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom