losing record? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

losing record?

What defines an "educated" fan? Someone that thinks we're playoff bound after two losing seasons and minimal changes on the offense, including an unknown at OC and continued disregard for the QB position?

Where does one pick up such an "education?"

Or is an educated fan one who contends that 90% of our fan base is right but that 90% of Denver's fan base is wrong ???:idk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Oline is in terrible shape right now, offense isnt any better than last. We're screwed.

Our line is better this year. Basically same key line but add pouncey to interior which was a huge need. We also added speed in gates and bush which is a huge need because we needed game changers. Also most of all a offensive coordinator that is not henning lol

Every time I get on FH everyone thinks we will only win like five games. How is that? We went 7-9 last year with henne and this off-season we got much much better. Please explain?

Please explain how we got much better in the offseason?

Not only that, from watching last season, we seemed to get worse as the season wore on. From where I sit, if the team continues to play on the level it did down the stretch last season, we will be fortunate to win 6 games.

What defines an "educated" fan? Someone that thinks we're playoff bound after two losing seasons and minimal changes on the offense, including an unknown at OC and continued disregard for the QB position?

Where does one pick up such an "education?"

Its not an education. That man is suffering from stage 4 Rossatosis. Its a serious condition and you would be wise not to engage him. I see you as a very slim risk for getting infected, but you dont want to take any chances. Not only that, you have to realize these people are sick and suffering from psychosis as a result of their disease. Its best just to steer clear of them until Dr. Slimm and I can try and control the outbreak before it wipes out the entire community.

People like ignoring the fact that with Henne starting, we managed to beat 3 of the top 4 teams last year (I count the Steelers game as us beating them, even though we didn't get it shown on our overall record). The one team that ended up in a championship game last year that beat us was when Thigpen was running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Gee thats a great spin on things. Im sure if you just make up what the **** ever you want, its easy to imagine this team being a legit contender. Hell, while youre at it, why dont you just pretend we swept the ****ing patriots. I dont understand what is stopping you. Because everytime I look at the score of that steelers game, it says we kicked too many ****ing FGs, left them in the game, and blew it at the end by failing to drive for one more measly FG when given the opportunity with just over 2 minutes to go. We couldnt even get a ****ing first down.

Please explain how we got much better in the offseason?

Not only that, from watching last season, we seemed to get worse as the season wore on. From where I sit, if the team continues to play on the level it did down the stretch last season, we will be fortunate to win 6 games.

This my friends is a prime example of what I have been talking about.

I have gone in detail on my thoughts and my stance. All I get is a one liner from you.

I find it laughable that you call those that think we havent improved uneducated. That deserves a one liner.

Two 7-9 seasons, a bad HC, a bad QB, and no real, or minimal upgrades are not formulas that will lead any team into the playoffs. You all sound like Jets fans of the mid 2000's that thought they were honestly superbowl contenders every year, regardless of their losing record the year prior.

I find it laughable that you call those that think we havent improved uneducated. That deserves a one liner.

Two 7-9 seasons, a bad HC, a bad Q, and no or minimal upgrades are not formulas that will lead any team into the playoffs. You all sound like Jets fans of the mid 2000's that thought they were honestly superbowl contenders every year, regardless of their losing record the year prior.

lol, you gave the exact reasons I listed as what makes a fan blindly think this team is going to be bad. I am not saying this team is going to win the Super Bowl, but to expect a two game improvement? Absolutely.

lol, you gave the exact reasons I listed as what makes a fan blindly think this team is going to be bad. I am not saying this team is going to win the Super Bowl, but to expect a two game improvement? Absolutely.

You guys like to torture yourself during the year. And what is a two game improvement going to do for us? We'll have the same regime, pick around 15 with no shot at a real QB, sign a bunch of outdated FA's, and the story continues... I have to give it to you, you are an extremely patient man.

keep an open mind, actually view the roster and coaching staff without a preset hatred. That would be a start. A lot of people see sparano as coach and henne as the quarterback and go "oh well, this team will suck and won't win more than 5 games." ok, but what about the fact that we have a top 6(likely top 5 this year) defense? One of the best receivers in the game(one of the top receiving corps in the league overall), new offensive coordinator and scheme(our biggest weakness in 2010), improved interior line and a revamped running game(bush can be electrifying). The team lacked speed last year, enter bush and gates.

This team as of today is indeed better than the one that took the field in 2010. That is not "homer speak" or being overly optimistic, that is a fact! If the team won 7 games last year, and beat some of the leagues elite teams, why can't they improve on last year? Saying "well they still have sparano and henne" is an blind uneducated response. There is so much more that goes into a team. "well the team quit on sparano at the end of the year." true, they did quit in that patriots game, but what team wouldn't? If the patriots were in the same spot, i bet they quit on belichick in week 17. The players love sparano, they support him and some even went to twitter in january and displayed their opinion on how much they wanted him to return. Sure they quit in week 17 after the season was already mathematically over, but they are back in his corner now.

You also say "minimal changes". Ok, what were the biggest problems last year?

Offensive coordinator - dan henning out, and they bring in a smart young, and well respected(despite what the "he coached in cleveland and sucks" crowd thinks) in daboll. Check.

More speed on offense - they draft one of the fastest players in the entire draft in clyde gates. Plus they go out and trade for the speedy reggie bush. Check.

Interior offensive line - they spend their first draft pick on the best interior lineman in the draft. They move vernon carey over to guard and suddenly the interior line has been greatly boosted. Check.

Running game - interior of the line has been improved and they didn't bring back ronnie or ricky who both were extremely sub par. The spend a second round pick on the big 12 rushing champion and bring in reggie bush. Check

losing key defensive players in free agency - people feared that paul soliai would not be back and most assumed tony mcdaniel wouldn't be. Both will be back. They also replaced possibly the defenses biggest weakness in channing crowder with kevin burnett. Check.

Is this team a super bowl contender? Probably not. Are they a playoff contender? Absolutely.
I advise to keep an open mind yourself and realize that none of my opinions are based on preset hatred. They're based on previous actions and signs that nothing has changed in the staff's mindset (such as continued contentment with mediocrity and below at the QB position).

First, there's nothing "uneducated" about thinking Sparano and Henne have a negative impact on this team. It's an opinion. I'm not entirely sure you know what that word means. Where does one pick up such an education? Being a fan through over a decade of mediocrity? I think we all meet that criteria.

The major disagreement I have with your argument is that you are counting unknown quantities, with serious reasons for concern, as improvements. Yes, it's awesome that Henning is finally gone, but Daboll is an unknown. The only body of work we have is a bad run in Cleveland and the only defenses of him that I've seen are excuses (no talent to work with, etc.). Can he be good? Certainly, but it is an unknown factor and cannot be considered an improvement based solely on the fact that Henning is gone, because it doesn't also consider the fact that Sparano had an impact on the offence as well, and he's still very much here. I have concerns about these, and I am keeping an open mind about Daboll, but I'm not counting it as an improvement. We simply don't have enough of a body of work to base it on and we are about to find out just how much of an impact Sparano had on the offensive philosophy. I'm of the opinion that it wasn't all Henning.

I'll agree on the speed on offence, to an extent. Gates, again, is an unknown quantity. Granted, all rookies are and it would be unfair to say the same about all (as I'll point out regarding Thomas later), but he is a pretty raw prospect. We know he's fast, that's it. It takes a bit more to be a successful WR in this league, just ask Ginn Jr. All we have is video of him running past lower competition at a small university. I love the draft pick, but I'm not going to add wins to my expectations based on him. As for Bush, I absolutely love the signing because it adds another dimension the defences have to account for. To me, this is one of only two improvements on offence, and it's an injury-prone 3rd down back (I watch a ton of Saints games, he is not a feature back).

Which leads to the 2nd improvement I see, the offensive line, barely and FINALLY. Part of the problem here is that you seem to disregard the past four years when assessing Sparano. It's all about this year. Sorry, but I don't take that approach. This, in my opinion, is one of his big failures. It's taken 4 years and we finally MAY have solidified the interior line. I say MAY for several reasons. One, the unknown (as are all rookies) but very promising addition of Pouncey. First, let me say that I am okay with the pick. If we were actually set at QB, I would love the pick. But why has it taken four years to get here when it's been very clear that the O-line is a high priority for Sparano? Further, it's still not settled! Who is going to play RT? Are we ever going to have a full line that plays 2 years in a row together? Hell, half a line? So the interior line can be considered improved (though I'm not sold on Pouncey at center), but the fact that the unit as a whole is still in upheaval doesn't bode well. I can't consider it enough of an improvement to add wins.

On to the running game, we're counting on a rookie and an injury-prone 3rd down back. I like Thomas, but unless they add another veteran RB, we don't have enough depth. The one ground and pound RB is a product of a 80's/90's era football mindset and doesn't work in today's game except in rare occasions (Hillis and C. Johnson, maybe?). I like the pick, but I don't see it as a major improvement over Ricky and Ronnie outside of the improved (hopefully) interior line and playcalling (again, hopefully).

I love the pick up of Burnett. He adds to an already stout defence that should get us a mediocre record on their own, as they almost did last year before Henne and Co. **** the bed in the final stretch against garbage teams (NE excluded).

Which brings me to my next point, Henne. He sucks. I've seen enough to not buy into the excuses (Henning, no line, etc.). That's something we may just have to disagree on. Further, their continued ineptitude at the position. As of now, we're going in with Henne/Matt Moore/Devlin (or Brandts3%er). Really? The defence will get us wins, but that lineup assures us continued mediocrity. If you were a fan of a different team and looked at that, could you honestly say that team is a playoff team? No way. Not with any credibility. And if this staff is around next year, how much you want to bet that the excuses for not picking up a QB in the draft continue a la Wanny (so-and-so is a reach, we need more linemen to protect the future QB we eventually plan to draft in several years, etc.)?

I'll be cheering this year and attending more games in one year than I've ever done before (student budget), but my expectations are kept in reality. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

A discussion with out name-calling and belittling each other for having differing opinions about the state of our favorite team! Whodathunkit?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's finheaven. We can't draft, even though we have one of the best young defenses in the league. We can't scout, even though we hit on guys like Bess and Wake. We're going to have a worse record than last year, even though we have a ton more depth and had a pretty good draft. It's ok to be a fan but complain about every single thing associated with this team.

because as good as our defense is our offense is that bad and we have an extremely tough schedule with the eagles,texans,@cowboys, pats twice @chiefs and @ giants 7 losses right their and well lose one to the jets thats 8 losses and were good for one or two bad losses to bad teams thats 9-10 losses

Or is an educated fan one who contends that 90% of our fan base is right but that 90% of Denver's fan base is wrong ???:idk:
While I wasn't on the Orton bandwagon (unless it was extremely cheap) as I didn't see him as much of an improvement, I can understand where those that were supporting getting him (and certainly not 90%) were coming from. In their view, any improvement, even only slightly better like not throwing more INT's than TD's is worth it. They had the point of view that Henne is the QB. Denver is coming from the point of view that if Tebow sucks, which is likely, they are in the serious hunt for Luck. Different contexts.

As for my opinion, the cost didn't justify the minimal to moderate improvement he would bring to the position at the cost of actually addressing the position in the near future. If we brought him in, it would lessen the likelihood that we draft a QB next year. No thanks.

because as good as our defense is our offense is that bad and we have an extremely tough schedule with the eagles,texans,@cowboys, pats twice @chiefs and @ giants 7 losses right their and well lose one to the jets thats 8 losses and were good for one or two bad losses to bad teams thats 9-10 losses
how can you just list teams and say we are are guaranteed to lose to them?

i think we will split with the pats ( obviously our best shot for a win is the opening game at home) i think we should beat the texans this year, especially since our d has improved dramatically since the last time we have played them, chiefs will be a tough game, but its far from a guaranteed loss, u saw what a good defense did to matt cassell in the playoffs last year, not saying our d is the ravens d, but our d is really really good, so i see no reason as to why our d can not rattle cassell like they did and come out with a W. Cowboys are not that good, they have not really improved since last season, and i see no reason why we cant win that game. Giants will be a tough game, but again, the giants d is not that good aside from the dline, and their offense is always inconsistent so that game is such a toss up. The eagles will be a really tough game as they always are, even before all these signings in the offseason. they could be a loss, but im not giving up hope. Finally the jets, ya i hope we sweep them, but giving us a split with them is fair.

Bottom line. could we lose all those games? yes. likely? no. could we win all those games? yes. likely? no. we just gotta play every game one at a time and see what happens. i think its a little premature to be penciling us in for 9-10 losses, when as a matter of fact, i believe out of those 9 games, its not so far fetched to go 6-3, or maybe better hopefully, but realistically 5-4 or 6-3 is possible.

Back
Top Bottom