Losman Struggling | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Losman Struggling

More info on Polian:

Polian was instrumental in the signing of Bruce Smith to his first NFL contract. This impressed the Bills' hierarchy enough to warrant a promotion to GM, after the firing of Bledsoe, in 1985. The fans were not impressed with the promotion of Polian however. Most observers considered the move business as usual, on a 2-14 team.

Polian stated in his first press conference, "I know the NFL well, I know it's players, I think I'm prepared for the job." His statement proved to be true. Polian proceeded to build an NFL powerhouse. In 1986, Polian got USFL star Jim Kelly to finally come to Buffalo. He next hired Marv Levy to replace Hank Bullough as head coach. In the 1987 draft, Polian's skill as a GM was apparent as he "traded down" from the #3 slot in the first round to the #8 slot (linebacker Shane Conlon) and also aquiring the #36 slot, which was traded up with Tampa to select cornerback Nate Oddoms. On October 31, 1987, Polian orchestrated one of the biggest trades in Bills history by acquiring linebacker Cornelius Bennett. In 1988, without the luxury of a first round pick, Polian drafted running back Thurman Thomas in the second round. Polian had expertly put the pieces together that would make the Bills a "championship caliber team," appearing in an NFL record, 4 straight Super Bowls. Because of his accomplishments, Bill Polian won the NFL Executive of the Year Award twice, in 1988 and in 1991.

On February 4, 1993, after the Bills had appeared in their 3rd straight Super Bowl, Bill Polian was fired as general manager. Polian wasn't fired because he wasn't doing a good job, he was fired because he didn't get along with treasurer, Jeff Littmann, for reasons unknown to all except those close to owner Ralph Wilson, Littmann and Polian himself.

In his closing press conference, Bill Polian said of the team that he built, "They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

How prophetic. :rofl3: :rofl3:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
More info on Polian:

So pOilan chose MArv's asst coaches and made the calls on the field all the way to 4 sb's? NOT!!!!

Is so it's not Wanny fault for chosing Chris Foerster and Bates' conservative D.... wait Wanny wa the GM and hand picked Fielder and Foerster :rofl3: :rofl3:

Justasportsfan said:
Based on you logic, Jimmy Johnson built the team Wanny had and how far did he go?Before you tell me that Marv had a better team, Why couldn't Wanny get his talent past the Pats who went on to win the sb w/ Antoine Smith when Wanny had RW , JT, ZACH etc. the fins had the best talent in the AFCE

Because BB is a better coach than Wanny. How is that relevant to Marv Levy? I never said Dave was a great coach. BB has three SBs with less talent than Levy had.

So are you going to answer the question?

Then why were the team performances so similar?

Justasportsfan said:
So pOilan chose MArv's asst coaches and made the calls on the field all the way to 4 sb's? NOT!!!!

Is so it's not Wanny fault for chosing Chris Foerster and Bates' conservative D.... wait Wanny wa the GM and hand picked Fielder and Foerster :rofl3: :rofl3:

WTF are you babbling about? I'm merely pointing out that Bill Polian built the Bills. That has nothing to do with coaching or coach selection. The fact that championship caliber talent produced no championships is all on Levy.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
More info on Polian:

Uh you ignores this

"Add to the scenario that the Bills general manager at the time was Bill Polian, who first met Marv when they worked for the Alouettes.He joined Levy as a scout with the Chiefs and was the pro personnel director of the Blitz. "

So pOilan knew Marv could put the talent he got together and make them a sb team. Thanks for making my point. Marv was a better COACH that POILAN handpicked himself. Since Marv was able to put his talent, it eventually lead him to the HOF.

What happened to wanny? could'nt put a team together that Jimmy Johnson built and take tehm to the sb? Instead he took that talent and lead them to 4-12 ....

MAn you are getting so OWNED you can;t even see it. :rofl3: :evil: :rofl3:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
WTF are you babbling about? I'm merely pointing out that Bill Polian built the Bills. That has nothing to do with coaching or coach selection. The fact that championship caliber talent produced no championships is all on Levy.
he chose a few players but didn't pick the asst coaches who pieced everything together did he? DUH!!!!! :lol:

Justasportsfan said:
Uh you ignores this

"Add to the scenario that the Bills general manager at the time was Bill Polian, who first met Marv when they worked for the Alouettes.He joined Levy as a scout with the Chiefs and was the pro personnel director of the Blitz. "

So pOilan knew Marv could put the talent he got together and make them a sb team. Thanks for making my point. Marv was a better COACH that POILAN handpicked himself. Since Marv was able to put his talent, it eventually lead him to the HOF.

What happened to wanny? could'nt put a team together that Jimmy Johnson built and take tehm to the sb? Instead he took that talent and lead them to 4-12 ....

MAn you are getting so OWNED you can;t even see it. :rofl3: :evil: :rofl3:

Answer the question:

13-3/2-1 versus 11-5/1-1

Why so similar despite the overwhelming advange in talent?

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Because BB is a better coach than Wanny. How is that relevant to Marv Levy? I never said Dave was a great coach. BB has three SBs with less talent than Levy had.

So are you going to answer the question?

Of ycourse you can't see it. You were talking about Levy having better talent during his time and Wanny had the best talent when he was handed the team and yet he ran it to the ground while Levy brought that talent to 4 sb's :lol:

Justasportsfan said:
he chose a few players but didn't pick the asst coaches who pieced everything together did he? DUH!!!!! :lol:

Did you miss that fact that championship caliber talent produced no championships?

Isn't that what I've been saying all along? 6 future HOFers, 0 superbowls.

Justasportsfan said:
Of ycourse you can't see it. You were talking about Levy having better talent during his time and Wanny had the best talent when he was handed the team and yet he ran it to the ground while Levy brought that talent to 4 sb's :lol:

News flash for you. Levy was 6-10 in his last year. Wanny's team finished 4-12. Thats pretty similar too.

Am I going too fast for you?

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Answer the question:

13-3/2-1 versus 11-5/1-1

I'm still waiting......

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Answer the question:

13-3/2-1 versus 11-5/1-1

because they were both from different era's facing different teams and in different circumstances.

When Marv was the HC he was facing HOF HC's while Wanny only had a young BB to face. :shakeno:
Your nos. are only credible when both coaches are facing the same set of players and coaches.

Now Dave is the only coach during his era to be out of a job in the NFL. :rofl3: :rofl3:

Justasportsfan said:
he chose a few players

A few players???
:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith, Conlan, Bennett, and on and on.....

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
A few players???
:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith, Conlan, Bennett, and on and on.....

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Answer my question, who made those players a cohessive unit and called the plays on the field, Polian?

Justasportsfan said:
Now Dave is the only coach during his era to be out of a job in the NFL. :rofl3: :rofl3:
BB is still the coach, so is Herm and a newbie named Mularkey beat the crap out of the team that Wanny built :rofl3: :lol: :rofl3: Why is Wanny in college? The road to the HOF through college? :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom