Lots of love for Marino from Rod Woodson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lots of love for Marino from Rod Woodson

I agree but part of the problem with the running game was Dan. Especially in his later years. He never even attempted a play fake or to sell the run. It was almost as bad a go…go go! Still the best to ever do it. Wish Shula had put better talent around him and controlled him a little better.

The problem with the running game was the running game. A play action won't won't if the defense doesn't fear the run.
We just could never get that running game Dan needed to protect leads and Marino from taking hits.
It was the downfall of the Marino era Dolphins.

I agree but part of the problem with the running game was Dan. Especially in his later years. He never even attempted a play fake or to sell the run. It was almost as bad a go…go go! Still the best to ever do it. Wish Shula had put better talent around him and controlled him a little better.

I have heard it all now...Dan was part of the reason why we didnt have a running game??? Did you even watch the games back then??? I guess Dan was the reason we had no defense too, and why we didnt draft well too?? By that same BS mode of thinking, I guess Montana made his running game go and defense dominant as well?? The problem with the run game was "the run game." Noctice that none of the RB starters at Miami during those years ever did anything AT ALL anywhere else they went. The OL became one dimensional along the same time. Plainly put, that team simply LEANED on Dan instead of pulling their own weight.
By the same token, I guess Bradshaw built his Steele Curtain?? Because he was soooooo good, his defense became great as a result?? Jeez!!!

I always use that same argument about who is the best QB. In fact there was a thread here just recently about the best QB and I stated Marino because he was and winning SB is not a measure of the best QB, and I got sh*t because everyone was saying Montana because he won those SB. Glad to see that someone else agrees that SB is not a measure of the best QB. It should be a QB's stats, not winning a SB.

One more point. Marino played in an era where passing was more difficult than it is today. That is shown by the big upswing in stats generated by even mediocre QBs. In his era, teams needed a more balanced attack to be consistently effective. For a long time, Marino was the ONLY QB in the history of the league that could be consistently effective even though the defense knew a pass was coming. There was no approach to defending him that worked consistently. Blitzing, not blitzing, zone, man to man, he found ways to beat the defense.

Different position but is Barry Sanders diminished because he never won, or even reached a Superbowl. Is Roger Craig that much better than Barry Sanders.

I look at it this way...I am given a team to populate with whomever I want to win a superbowl, I am picking Dan Marino to be my QB. Now this may be that I am most familiar with Marino but I am confident that he can do the most for me and win me that superbowl.
PS I would also want Jerry Rice for a reciever.

I look at it this way...I am given a team to populate with whomever I want to win a superbowl, I am picking Dan Marino to be my QB. Now this may be that I am most familiar with Marino but I am confident that he can do the most for me and win me that superbowl.
PS I would also want Jerry Rice for a reciever.

I agree, Cleetus, I know no other QB I trust for building a franchise than Marino, maybe Manning comes second.

Different position but is Barry Sanders diminished because he never won, or even reached a Superbowl. Is Roger Craig that much better than Barry Sanders.

IMO, Sanders is one of the best ever for the same reason as Marino. They set new standards at their positions. Even if you weren't fans of the Lions or Dolphins, you watch those teams because you wanted to see Sanders and Marino. I have barely watched any Lions games since Sanders retired. I tried not to miss one when he was playing.

I started playing fantasy football long before most of the people who play now. I had Marino and Sanders on my team in 1994 (and we were a yardage only scoring system). What a blast that year was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan Marino is the best pure passer to ever play in the NFL.

Even Montana's HC admitted that Marino was better than Montana!!!!!

Put Marino on that niners team and I bet you he wins 5 in a row lol.

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Put Marino on that niners team and I bet you he wins 5 in a row lol.

Sent from my ass using Tapatalk

Thats NOT stretching the truth either!! When teams played the Fins their approach was to stop ONE man, and that was Dan, conversely when they played SF their approach was to stop the 49ers offense, and NOT JUST Montana. Big difference there!!! Same can be said for Elway and the Broncos, however they were a better all-around team than the Fins but earily similar to some degree.

Back
Top Bottom