Votes: 114 80.3%

• Total voters
Philter25 said:
In their Prime: Madison

Right now: Surtain

Last year for us: Madison
My thoughts exactly, wierd how they always seemed to have alternate good years

Surtain.

He's better period. Currently and when both were in their primes...I gotta go with Surtain. He's a better run supporter as well. He comes up and isn't afraid to taken on the FB or RB. IMO he also has the better cover skills.

Surtain...you will be missed!!!

Go Fins!!!

IMO Pat has better athletic ability but Sam is a smarter CB. Its hard to choose they are both so close. I cant choose.

I really think Pat was better. I liked the fact he was quiet, but let his actions speak louder than his voice. I know Madison was a trash talker, but I always liked the players that were quiet, but effective. Pat was a true shut down corner, hardly ever saw him get beat. He was better at the underneath stuff than Madison ever was.

dolfanattic5 said:
madison compared to both in their prime surtain is better now.

well said I agree

I didn't watch the Dolphins that much when Madison was in his prime. I didn't REALLY start paying attention until the end of the 2001 season. I would say right now Surtain is definitely better. How did Madison have a better year last year? He didn't even get a single interception. I think he was better at talking trash when we were 0-5 but, outside of that I dunno. Don't get me wrong I love both Surtain and Madison, but I just dont see how he was better last year. I'd say overall they're pretty even going of Sam's few huge seasons.

I voted Madison....Madison was better earlier in his career....then Pat was arguably the top CB in the league, but his knee and his play last year slipped, and in my eyes, Madison played better last year....so i say madison.

Themajster said:
I didn't watch the Dolphins that much when Madison was in his prime. I didn't REALLY start paying attention until the end of the 2001 season. I would say right now Surtain is definitely better. How did Madison have a better year last year? He didn't even get a single interception. I think he was better at talking trash when we were 0-5 but, outside of that I dunno. Don't get me wrong I love both Surtain and Madison, but I just dont see how he was better last year. I'd say overall they're pretty even going of Sam's few huge seasons.

INTs arent what should measure a CB. Madison totally shut down players such as chad johnson last year. he didnt make the big play, but he had plenty of pass break ups, and toward the end of the year, the opponent wouldnt throw towards Madisons side as much as they would throw on Pats and Reggies side.

While ints shouldn't be ALL that measures a cb, it should factor in somewhere. While Madison did in fact shut down Chad Johnson, Pat shut down holt. I believe Johnson had maybe a few receptions for like 20 yrds, and Holt had one for 5. They both had a great year IMO. But for the last few years I've seen Madison get burned a lot more then Surtain, so that's how I've formed my opinion. Last year I didn't see people throwing towards Surtain that often either, but hey we had two of the best cb's in the league so I'm happy. :)

If they were both currently playing in their prime then it would be a tough one too decide. As it stands now I feel that Surtain is hands down better. Madison IMO is still good enough to win the starting job on most teams in the NFL though.

Surtain has been solid both in pass and rush support since 2000. That's despite some reports he suffers from a degenerative knee condition. Madison has been on cruise control since 2000 and his production mirrors that. Remarkably, that's the time he signed a nice contract extension.

There is only 1 year separating these 2 players in experience so arguments that one was better "in his prime" do not have any basis. Surtain hands down.

DolphinsRising said:
There is only 1 year separating these 2 players in experience so arguments that one was better "in his prime" do not have any basis. Surtain hands down.

I guess what I should have said instead of prime was the 2 or 3 years that Madison was making pro bowls, and Surtain was not. So if you took Madison then, and Surtain of now, it would be close competition, but I would probably still go with Surtain.

Back
Top Bottom