Maidana vs. Mayweather: The Craziness Begins..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Maidana vs. Mayweather: The Craziness Begins.....

ebozzz

Starter
Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;lI8K829pEaU]http://youtu.be/lI8K829pEaU[/video]

Photo comparison of the gloves.....

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article16908.html

Here's Ellerbe's explanation

[video=youtube_share;RzgN310On6k]http://youtu.be/RzgN310On6k[/video]

They finally sorted it out and the fight is on....

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh boxing is not really relevant anymore, Paquio vs Mayweather might have brought them into the national light but that boat has sailed

Meh boxing is not really relevant anymore, Paquio vs Mayweather might have brought them into the national light but that boat has sailed

Not true at all, and that's coming from someone who doesn't follow it to a large extent. Mayweather fights especially bring in nearly double the PPV purchases that most MMA fights bring in. (again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm pretty indifferent to both)

Although, dwindling interest happens whenever you have someone as dominant as Mayweather. Do I want to pay money to watch Mayweather pummel somebody? Not really. But he still sells. Hell, I was just kicked out of a pub because they had to close and set up for the fight tonight. The place is going to be PACKED.

Side note, as a casual fan (I like watching a good fight occasionally), I really don't have a clue how the champion(s) are determined.

I stand corrected then. I just think of the golden days of Ali, Frazier, foreman etc

I like boxing but god I hate Mayweather would never put money in his pocket

I wish i had been around for Lewis and Tyson. I remember seeing the adverts for the fights on cartoon network as a kid lol

I stand corrected then. I just think of the golden days of Ali, Frazier, foreman etc

I think it goes through different phases. You have periods when you have several dominant fighters followed by periods where one guy is dominant by far. I imagine MMA will get to that point to, if it hasn't had it already (really don't follow either very much).

Speaking of surprising popularity (sorry for the tangent ebozzz), I was in New Orleans during Wrestlemania....I had no idea how popular it still is. The most shocking thing was how many UK fans there were that flew in to see it. Amazing.

Not true at all, and that's coming from someone who doesn't follow it to a large extent. Mayweather fights especially bring in nearly double the PPV purchases that most MMA fights bring in. (again, I don't have a horse in the race, I'm pretty indifferent to both)

Although, dwindling interest happens whenever you have someone as dominant as Mayweather. Do I want to pay money to watch Mayweather pummel somebody? Not really. But he still sells. Hell, I was just kicked out of a pub because they had to close and set up for the fight tonight. The place is going to be PACKED.

Side note, as a casual fan (I like watching a good fight occasionally), I really don't have a clue how the champion(s) are determined.

Mayweather fights murder the UFC in ppv buys. Problem being that Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only two dudes in the sport who can compete with the UFC. Mayweather had 2.5 million, 1 million, and 1.5 million ppv buys in his last three fights, so let's just call his average about 1.5 million ppv buys. Pacquiao's last fight netted about 775,000 ppv buys, and his two fights before that with Rios and Marquez did 475k, and one million respectively, for an average of about seven hundred and fifty thousand in his last three fights.

Here's a breakdown for ppv buys of the average UFC event:

Average PPV Buy Rate = 526,470

Average PPV with Title Fight = 605,114 (+15% over average)

Average PPV with Non-Title Fight = 385,000 (-27% over average)

Average PPV Buy-Rate Featuring TUF Coaches = 940,000 (+79% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate with Main Event Cards Affected by Injuries = 405,357 (-23% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate Featuring Heavyweight Bout in Main/Co-Main Event = 748,182 (+42% over average)

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotat...cs-ppv-numbers-and-how-they-can-improve-them/

Manny and Floyd combined for three fights in 2013, while the UFC hosted thirty-three events that same year. It's my understanding that the UFC has surpassed boxing in the 18-34 male demographic, and that boxing has become more of a European sport than an American one.

Speaking of surprising popularity (sorry for the tangent ebozzz), I was in New Orleans during Wrestlemania....I had no idea how popular it still is. The most shocking thing was how many UK fans there were that flew in to see it. Amazing.

No need to apologize at all!

Mayweather fights murder the UFC in ppv buys. Problem being that Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only two dudes in the sport who can compete with the UFC. Mayweather had 2.5 million, 1 million, and 1.5 million ppv buys in his last three fights, so let's just call his average about 1.5 million ppv buys. Pacquiao's last fight netted about 775,000 ppv buys, and his two fights before that with Rios and Marquez did 475k, and one million respectively, for an average of about seven hundred and fifty thousand in his last three fights.

Here's a breakdown for ppv buys of the average UFC event:

Average PPV Buy Rate = 526,470

Average PPV with Title Fight = 605,114 (+15% over average)

Average PPV with Non-Title Fight = 385,000 (-27% over average)

Average PPV Buy-Rate Featuring TUF Coaches = 940,000 (+79% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate with Main Event Cards Affected by Injuries = 405,357 (-23% over average)

Average PPV Buy Rate Featuring Heavyweight Bout in Main/Co-Main Event = 748,182 (+42% over average)

http://www.cagepotato.com/cagepotat...cs-ppv-numbers-and-how-they-can-improve-them/

Manny and Floyd combined for three fights in 2013, while the UFC hosted thirty-three events that same year. It's my understanding that the UFC has surpassed boxing in the 18-34 male demographic, and that boxing has become more of a European sport than an American one.

Boxing maybe gets a little more attention in Europe now because there are a few champions in that region now. Overall, I still think the better quality fighters are from the Americas.

Interesting statistics you posted. Call me crazy but I watch very little UFC. Just doesn't hold my attention as much as boxing does. Not interested in paying for either though. The thing that hurts boxing to me is the alphabet soup. WAY too many governing bodies. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, etc..... And, it seems that each of the big promoters has significant influence with at least one of those. Then you get to the issue of the promoters feuding with one another and not allowing their fighters to go against fighters from other camps. HBO & Showtime are to blame also. It's a huge mess...

Last edited by a moderator:
Boxing maybe gets a little more attention in Europe now because there are a few champions in that region now. Overall, I still think the better quality fighters are from the Americas.

Interesting statistics you posted. Call me crazy but I watch very little UFC. Just doesn't hold my attention as much as boxing does. Not interested in paying for either though. The thing that hurts boxing to me is the alphabet soup. WAY too many governing bodies. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, etc..... And, it seems that each of the big promoters has significant influence with at least one of those. The you get to the issue of the promoters feuding with one another and not allowing their fighters to go against fighters from other camps. HBO & Showtime are to blame also. It's a huge mess...

Agreed! It's especially confusing for the more casual fan. I have no idea how it works. I just want to see good fights. The current system seems to do more to prevent that than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting statistics you posted. Call me crazy but I watch very little UFC. Just doesn't hold my attention as much as boxing does. Not interested in paying for either though. The thing that hurts boxing to me is the alphabet soup. WAY too many governing bodies. WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, etc..... And, it seems that each of the big promoters has significant influence with at least one of those. The you get to the issue of the promoters feuding with one another and not allowing their fighters to go against fighters from other camps. HBO & Showtime are to blame also. It's a huge mess...

It depends on what you like. I prefer the MMA fights to boxing matches.

The UFC has all it's fighters under one promotion, so there's none of this nonsense that goes on in boxing. You fight who Dana tells you and when Dana tells you.

It depends on what you like. I prefer the MMA fights to boxing matches.

The UFC has all it's fighters under one promotion, so there's none of this nonsense that goes on in boxing. You fight who Dana tells you and when Dana tells you.

Not exactly but it does set up the opportunity of the best fighters meeting one another more frequently than boxing does. Lot of politics in the UFC as well. Dana plays favorites to some degree. If he doesn't like you, you don't get the best fights.

Not exactly but it does set up the opportunity of the best fighters meeting one another more frequently than boxing does. Lot of politics in the UFC as well. Dana plays favorites to some degree. If he doesn't like you, you don't get the best fights.

Well, Joe Silva is the official UFC matchmaker, but by and large the UFC puts on the fights the fans want to see, when the fans want to see them; certainly much more than boxing. Do you have any examples of favoritism? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I know that Dana doesn't like Roy Nelson or Tito Ortiz, and both of them got great opportunities.

Well, Joe Silva is the official UFC matchmaker, but by and large the UFC puts on the fights the fans want to see, when the fans want to see them; certainly much more than boxing. Do you have any examples of favoritism? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I know that Dana doesn't like Roy Nelson or Tito Ortiz, and both of them got great opportunities.

Roy is one of the people I would mention but he has had a few opportunities. Joe Silva may be the matchmaker but Dana calls the shots. I admit that you get to see who you want to see matched against each other more frequently in the UFC. It still doesn't do much for me. I like boxing more even if it's the mess of alphabet soup that it is. Again, that's just me and I certainly mean no disrespect to you regarding your choice of favorite between the two. Different strokes!

Main event participants are in the ring. Barring some freak occurrence, Mayweather will win easily. I hope that doesn't mean that Khan is his next opponent.....

Roy is one of the people I would mention but he has had a few opportunities. Joe Silva may be the matchmaker but Dana calls the shots. I admit that you get to see who you want to see matched against each other more frequently in the UFC. It still doesn't do much for me. I like boxing more even if it's the mess of alphabet soup that it is. Again, that's just me and I certainly mean no disrespect to you regarding your choice of favorite between the two. Different strokes!

Main event participants are in the ring. Barring some freak occurrence, Mayweather will win easily. I hope that doesn't mean that Khan is his next opponent.....

It's funny, the bar I was in is over 2 blocks away and I could hear people cheering.

Back
Top Bottom