Making a case for Lee Evans | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Making a case for Lee Evans

plain and simple... evans was once considered an top 10 pick.. before his injury.. i feel with the deepest wr draft in history.. if he falls to # 20 wow!! what a steal.. miami would be truley taking advantage of a rare opportunity to get a top 10 talent at # 20... does the dan marino stiuation ring a bell back in 83' ... this is the same type of situation.. thats how good i think evans will be ...

That's what amazes me about so many Fin fans. They complain that this team doesn't put other teams away. Well they didn't have the weapons to! If you added Evans to the mix, he could be the slot guy right away. He's smart, runs great routes, has speed and most important..he's got great hands!
Yes we need help on the O Line but that will hopefully come later in the draft and after June 1st cuts. The line will be fine.. But impact playmakers don't come easy and it would be foolish to draft an O lineman would may help a weak position instead of a WR who could strenghten a position and MAKE PLAYS that puts teams away!

Ok, as much as I would LOVE to get a GREAT 3rd Wr (which I think woods or evans would be), right now we are a RUNNING team and we need to have a good line to open holes for Ricky. Hell how often do we even run 3 WR sets? NOT MUCH. So it would almost be a waste to take him. Unless we trade down and get a quality RG/RT and then take a WR in the second (if we trade down) or in the Third. IMO an oline is more valuable to a running team.

We won't necessarily be a running team if we can open things up with lots of good receiving talent. In 2001 we ran the ball horribly with Lamar Smith and as a consequence Jay Fiedler threw more passes than he ever has with us (on an attempt per game basis...so yes I'm taking into account the fact that he played 16 games in 2001 vs him getting injured every other year) and he also posted coincidentally his best career QB rating that year.

Dave Wannstedt has not liked being the kind of running team that we've been the past few years...he's just had no choice. You've got Jay Fiedler behind a shaky protection tossing to largely inconsistent receivers, then you've got Ricky Williams...which one you gonna focus on in the game plan?

He still believes you pass to score and run to win.

BTW I haven't heard that Chambers and Evans were best friends or anything, just that they were former roommates. Might be a stretch to call them best friends. Spielman likes drafting friends of guys we have...see Taylor Whitley and Seth McKinney.

If its true that they are good friends, drafting Evans could help keep Chambers in Miami. Drafting a different WR could speed Chambers' departure...especially if its a guy like Reggie Williams who will chaff at being the 3rd WR. I've been on the Evans bandwagon since I read this draft report of him a while ago...

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=Lee Evans

But my bandwagoning is a wagon-train affair. First and foremost I'm on the Rivers bandwagon and have been since the DAY I saw the Senior Bowl. Then I'm on the Shawn Andrews bandwagon. THEN I'm on the Lee Evans bandwagon, and after that the Rashaun Woods and Jake Grove bandwagons are still jockeying each other for order in the whole parade.

When your only threat at WR is your #1 it wouldn't matter if the Denver Broncos line was blocking for Ricky. If other teams defenses don't respect the passing game they will stack the line and more often than not they will shut down the running game. If you have a trio of good WRs then you CAN run a 3 receiver set and that will make the O-lines job of opening holes easier because they will not be facing 8 man fronts.

When your only threat at WR is your #1 it wouldn't matter if the Denver Broncos line was blocking for Ricky

Yeah it would. Baltimore had guys like Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright throwing to Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor. That could have been the least respected passing attack in the league...yet Jamal Lewis still ran for 2000 yards.

In 2002 with Chambers working by himself opposite our horse crap stable of WRs Ricky ran for 1850 yards.

Ricky had an off year, the OL had an off year.

Not to even mention I hear he is a good blocker. I cant imagine a D coordinator trying to either stop ricky in a nickel package or trying to cover evans with a LB. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!! I love the idea of evans as a phin.

I don't hear he's an especially good blocker...and with his size I think, being a "good blocker" might just mean he tries hard, like Randy McMichael.

so i take it ... that it's official ... let the LEE EVANS CAMPAIN BEGIN !!!

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Yeah it would. Baltimore had guys like Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright throwing to Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor. That could have been the least respected passing attack in the league...yet Jamal Lewis still ran for 2000 yards.

In 2002 with Chambers working by himself opposite our horse crap stable of WRs Ricky ran for 1850 yards.

Ricky had an off year, the OL had an off year.

Baltimore is just about the only team that pulled it off. They are an exception to the rule. But look at this:

Taylor 39 Rec. - 16.2 yds/rec - 4.9 Y.A.C.
Robinson 31 Rec. - 14.5 yds/rec - 3.4 Y.A.C.

Chambers 64 Rec. - 15.0 yds/rec. - 3.9 Y.A.C.
D.T. 26 Rec. - 13.8 yds/rec. - 1.8 Y.A.C.

It looks like Miami's Offense was just a little bit more one sided.
Taylor and Robinson may not have lit it up but they kept the defenses honest because they could make the big plays and Boller and Wright both have the guns to get it downfield.

And while Ricky ran for 1850 in 2002..the offense wasn't as one sided as last year. McKnight actually put up better numbers than DT and averaged over 18 YPC. McMichael was just sick. And the line was healthier than last year's. And after his breakout in 2002, defenses came with the intention on stopping Ricky this past year. Different circumstances all around.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
BTW I haven't heard that Chambers and Evans were best friends or anything, just that they were former roommates. Might be a stretch to call them best friends. Spielman likes drafting friends of guys we have...see Taylor Whitley and Seth McKinney.

If its true that they are good friends, drafting Evans could help keep Chambers in Miami. Drafting a different WR could speed Chambers' departure...especially if its a guy like Reggie Williams who will chaff at being the 3rd WR.

Chambers and Evans went to the same HS if i'm not mistaken and chambers was a big reason evans chose wisconsin, he looks up to and admires him and saidd he aspired to perform like him. I wish i could find the article where i read all this, it was posted a long time ago on this board. I think it's fair to say they are likely good friends. I like lee evans but i think we should be pretty set on trading down unless a stud falls. Evans wont go 20 or before i dont feel, and we can drop down say 8 spots and get a 2nd rounder as well. then we have options.

the 2nd round wide receiver i really like for the slot/kick returner if evans is gone and we go OL in the first is Devery Henderson.

Back
Top Bottom