Making a case for Lee Evans | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Making a case for Lee Evans

I say do not trade down until our pick. Will any of you pass on Reggie Williams if he slides to 20. Boston, Chambers and Williams....Wow what an awesome group of Receivers.

Again, Williams is the exact same WR we already have. I really can't think of a reason to add another one.

Reggie Williams NFL comparison:

David Boston

I have no problem with Evans or Woods. They're just not my first choice so it depends on how the draft shakes out.

I did want to correct one thing you said in the initial post. Boston is not a guy who makes the highlight reel catch. He is very consistent and catches just about everything thrown within the frame of his body.

No, Boston has inconsistent hands.

This goes from the very day he went to OSU, he could make a great running catch, or a leaping one handed grab and then drop an easy one from taking his eye of the ball.

Evans does not do that hardly ever, he has the most consistent hands in this draft.

I agree he would be a perfect fit and would bring something the other 2 recievers lack. No one wants either starter to somehow get injured and have D. Thompson starting again.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
No, Boston has inconsistent hands.

This goes from the very day he went to OSU, he could make a great running catch, or a leaping one handed grab and then drop an easy one from taking his eye of the ball.

Evans does not do that hardly ever, he has the most consistent hands in this draft.

He made highlight reel catches at OSU, but he hasn't in the NFL. He certainly didn't in SD. He consistently caught curls, outs and crossing patterns. In fact, I can't remember a single one handed catch since he's been in the NFL and I've watched him quite a bit. Boston has been one of my favorite WRs since he was drafted.

I say if rivers isnt there, which i dont think he will then i take a WR. thats what ive been saying but every1 says no r u crazy!! no im not because what happens if we have an injury?? makes since dont it!!i think it makes alot of since and thats how i would do it, plain and simple.. a ol with the first pick isnt a wise choice because there none worth taking there imo .. so if rivers is there i would take him but if not then we grab a wr! they wont stack the line and that means ricky wont b battered and the qb wont b pressured as much!! a wr is the ticket and i still stick by that. why because we need insurance!!! thats my story and im going to stick to it.. rivers or wr.........

If it came down to WR with #20th pick.
I'm a big fan of Lee Evans but Reggie Williams is still there then you have to pick Reggie.

Lee Evans worries me with all those injuries..

Surgeries on BOTH knees.

Rashaun Woods over Reggie Williams and over Lee Evans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evans and Chambers are UW graduates, that would be strange coming from where I saw both of em when they played up here. Chambers actually dropped some easy catches as I remember... he turned out better than I even thought! Hope he is resigned by next year, he is 1 of those favorites you just can't let go.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Indy has one of the fastest NFL surfaces in the league (second only to Edward Jones Dome IMO) and that was what I meant by fast surface.

Of course the top players don't run at the combine, they want to do it on their pro days and run it on a track with a pair of cleats on to post that fabulous looking time (even though scouts add time when they run on a track).

Look at the times that come out at Pro days, they're 99% of the time faster than what a player ran at the combine or senior bowl week.

No, the combine track is SLOW, that is wy players don't run. Look at what Titans GM Floyd Reese said about the track at Indy:

"That's one of the risks you take by not working out at the combine," Titans G.M. Floyd Reese said. "People don't want to run there because it's a slow track -- like we don't know it. Then you come out to the most important day [of the draft process] and have a bad day, you're stuck with it."

Devrey Henderson is overrated. He won't help any team next year. Needs too much polishing.

Originally posted by rafael

He made highlight reel catches at OSU, but he hasn't in the NFL. He certainly didn't in SD. He consistently caught curls, outs and crossing patterns. In fact, I can't remember a single one handed catch since he's been in the NFL and I've watched him quite a bit. Boston has been one of my favorite WRs since he was drafted.
Agreed....I think it was at his press conference, he specifically said, that he's not the type that will make leaping, one handed, highlight reel catches....Said he considers himself more of a tough, consistent, possesion receiver....I wonder who knows him better, phinstd, or him?

First, highlight reel catches are nice. They serve somewhat of a function too, making DBs fearful of a guy or feel just downright frustrated. They also give a QB confidence in that receiver. That said, they aren't anywhere near necessary if you don't have the consistency to go with. I would rather have a guy that just goes out and catches the ball when its thrown to him than another Oronde Gadsden who impresses everyone with his catches but never gets open and muffs easy ones.

Lee Evans doesn't have the best hands in the draft. That distinction belongs to Larry Fitzgerald. Mike Williams is capable of circus catches even better than both, but doesn't have the consistency thing going for him yet (lot like Plaxico Burress).

Yes the combine track is infamously slow, but when it comes to running on it, its all about competitiveness and comfort. Most dont run on it not cuz its slow, but because of the comfort zone they can get when they run on their own tracks back at their school.

If that story about Chambers and Evans at the same HS, and Evans following Chambers to UW is true then I have mixed feelings. If we draft a first round WR then part of the reason is insurance policy for Chambers' possible departure. You don't want to put good friends with a history in that kind of adversarial position. You also don't want to piss off the very temperamental David Boston within months of trading for him...because he too knows how little Miami loses if they cut him within a year. If we draft a 1st round WR and then sign Chambers long-term...the writing could be on the wall unless we can absolutely, positively convince Boston that Evans is suited extremely well for the slot position and we want three outstanding WRs to power an aerial attack that we haven't had around here since 2001 when we took to the skies with McKnight, Gadsden, and Chambers. Have to be VERY careful around this time if we're drafting Evans. Now is definitely NOT the time to pull the silent act with Chambers and Boston....if we think we might draft a WR I would want Spielman on the phone with Chambers and Boston like every other day, assuring them listen we want you guys together as our starters...we're trying to draft the best talent available, and a WR like Evans might be that best talent at pick #20.

Back
Top Bottom