man i was way off on the bills but spot on about the jets | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

man i was way off on the bills but spot on about the jets

I'm talking about the year overall, last year our D was very inconsistent just as it has been this year. One week we shut down Rodgers and GB, the next Chad henne is throwing all over us just like this year one week we shut down Flacco and bal and the next week we get thrashed by oakland.

The D is allowing 21 PPG, you can't count the 3 TDs allowed by the O.

I think they have been consistently bad this year. The Jets defense may have had some bad games last year, but they finished ranked #6. They only allowed seven 100 yard rushing games, and never allowed more than 146 rushing yards in a game. This years defense has already allowed four 100 yard rushing games, and 2 over 152 yards.

You are right about the PPG allowed by the defense. It is a little skewed. I gave the 25 PPG # because I did not feel like going through the game logs to find out how many points the 2010 Jets gave up on ST and turnovers over the first 5 games. I just went with the average. Still, there is a big difference between allowing 16 PPG to 21 PPG.

Saying that the Jets defense is allowing 25 PPG is almost as silly as saying the Jets offense is averaging 24 PPG. :lol:

I think they have been consistently bad this year. The Jets defense may have had some bad games last year, but they finished ranked #6. They only allowed seven 100 yard rushing games, and never allowed more than 146 rushing yards in a game. This years defense has already allowed four 100 yard rushing games, and 2 over 152 yards.

You are right about the PPG allowed by the defense. It is a little skewed. I gave the 25 PPG # because I did not feel like going through the game logs to find out how many points the 2010 Jets gave up on ST and turnovers over the first 5 games. I just went with the average. Still, there is a big difference between allowing 16 PPG to 21 PPG.

Saying that the Jets defense is allowing 25 PPG is almost as silly as saying the Jets offense is averaging 24 PPG. :lol:

Our O is averaging 20, if you remove the bal game it's 25. The O has not clicked yet but as bad as they have been they have been good enough to win 4 of 5 games.

Our O is averaging 20, if you remove the bal game it's 25. The O has not clicked yet but as bad as they have been they have been good enough to win 4 of 5 games.

They are really averaging around 17 PPG. You are giving them credit for 3 FGs when it was the D who put them in FG range, and all the O did was kick a FG. You are also giving them credit for a TD when the D put them on the 1.

How can you say that they have been good enough to win 4 out of 5 games? Even if the D stopped the Raiders, they still needed 7 and scored 0. Even if the D stopped NE, they still needed 6 and scored 0. They only scored 3 points against the Ravens while putting themselves in a 21 point hole to crawl out of. After cutting it to 7 against Dal, they could only score a FG when the D gave them the ball in FG range. That is not good enough to me.

The D is playing similar to last year which is disappointing but I expect it will get better. Too much talent and leadership not to get better.

this is why I still worry about the Jets.

it's fun to see them go on a skid early in the season, but they've been here before.

the thing that surprises me mostr about the Jets is their run defense. I'm not a fan of using yardage to measure a defense, but when a team prides itself on stopping the run it's strange to see them ranked that low, even before Bryan Thomas got hurt.

the biggest reason the Jets have struggled so far is because they've been losing the battle at the LOS. getting Mangold back makes a huge difference on the oline, but I don't know what Rex will do going forward about the front 7. If the run D continues to struggle maybe Kenrick Ellis will get playing time.

as far as the Bills go, I need to see more. I'm not saying this is the same as the 2008 team, but back in 08 their hot start looked a lot like it does now: blowing out a bad team that was a playoff contender the year before (Seahawks 07; Chiefs '10) and then pulling out close wins in the last few minutes. They've obviously played better teams than that year and they look like they have a much better coaching staff, but I need to see a stretch of convincing wins before I consider them legit.

this is why I still worry about the Jets.

it's fun to see them go on a skid early in the season, but they've been here before.

The Jets do have the talent to turn things around, but I don't think you can expect that with the only reason being, "They've been here before". Things change.

Tell me your honest opinion- when we lost 6 of 7 2 years ago did you think we were done? When we lost 3 of 4 in dec including a 45-3 game to NE last year did you think we were done?

Two years ago? When you were handed a playoff spot and took full advantage of it?

Prior season have very little to do with this season. You can look to history all you want, but it means little when your QB seems to be regressing rather than progressing......

the thing that surprises me mostr about the Jets is their run defense. I'm not a fan of using yardage to measure a defense, but when a team prides itself on stopping the run it's strange to see them ranked that low, even before Bryan Thomas got hurt.

the biggest reason the Jets have struggled so far is because they've been losing the battle at the LOS. getting Mangold back makes a huge difference on the oline, but I don't know what Rex will do going forward about the front 7. If the run D continues to struggle maybe Kenrick Ellis will get playing time.

as far as the Bills go, I need to see more. I'm not saying this is the same as the 2008 team, but back in 08 their hot start looked a lot like it does now: blowing out a bad team that was a playoff contender the year before (Seahawks 07; Chiefs '10) and then pulling out close wins in the last few minutes. They've obviously played better teams than that year and they look like they have a much better coaching staff, but I need to see a stretch of convincing wins before I consider them legit.

I think the #s are a little skewed. The D shut down felix Jones, shut down Ray Rice, jones-Drew got his yds in garbage time. The only guy to go off was McFadden. Green-Ellis had a good game but that was more smarts by NE taking advantage when we had our pass D personnel in the game.

Two years ago? When you were handed a playoff spot and took full advantage of it?

Prior season have very little to do with this season. You can look to history all you want, but it means little when your QB seems to be regressing rather than progressing......

In 2004 the Bills played Steeler backups at HOME needing a win to get into the playoffs, how did that work out? 2 years ago we got a qtr and a half of Indy backups in a close game. For a Bills fan to complain after they lost to pitt backups in an easier situation is comical.

Bad teams don't take the Pats down to the last drive in their building. you can be giddy now, but we just played 3 tough road games. The toughest part of our schedule is behind us. The last 7 weeks of our schedule looks like a cakewalk and you can count on the wins piling up late in the season.

Really? The Bills have done that more than once prior to this season, and guess what? They still lost to the Pats, and they were still bad teams. :sidelol:

The fans of bad teams make excuses and play shoulda-woulda-coulda. They take solace in "moral victories". A lot. Been there, done that.

Get used to it, sweetpea, cuz that's what your future looks like. Your team was built to "win now" (ie, last season) and it missed its window of opportunity. The defense isn't good enough to keep high-powered offenses from scoring, and the offense can't play ball control or score enough. It's a prescription for losing.

Really? The Bills have done that more than once prior to this season, and guess what? They still lost to the Pats, and they were still bad teams. :sidelol:

The fans of bad teams make excuses and play shoulda-woulda-coulda. They take solace in "moral victories". A lot. Been there, done that.

Get used to it, sweetpea, cuz that's what your future looks like. Your team was built to "win now" (ie, last season) and it missed its window of opportunity. The defense isn't good enough to keep high-powered offenses from scoring, and the offense can't play ball control or score enough. It's a prescription for losing.

why are you acting like we are 0-5?

In 2004 the Bills played Steeler backups at HOME needing a win to get into the playoffs, how did that work out? 2 years ago we got a qtr and a half of Indy backups in a close game. For a Bills fan to complain after they lost to pitt backups in an easier situation is comical.

So the Jets should be fine because the Bills blew a playoff opportunity in 2004? Seems like High School logic there nyjunc.

Every year is a brand new year. There are teams that are overly hyped and those that are overly disrespected by the media. The Jets seem to be the former to me.

Also, Bills fans can comment on what they see, just like any knowledgeable fan can comment on what they see, regardless of fandom. You are trying to discredit my opinion because I choose to root for the Bills. THAT is comical.......

So the Jets should be fine because the Bills blew a playoff opportunity in 2004? Seems like High School logic there nyjunc.

Every year is a brand new year. There are teams that are overly hyped and those that are overly disrespected by the media. The Jets seem to be the former to me.

Also, Bills fans can comment on what they see, just like any knowledgeable fan can comment on what they see, regardless of fandom. You are trying to discredit my opinion because I choose to root for the Bills. THAT is comical.......

You are struggling to read. That was in response to you whining about how we were given a playoff spot 2 years ago.

This team has been through so much the last 2 years and it's not like we lost to 3 bad teams, we played 3 tough road games. Switch our scheds and we are 4-1 and you are 2-3 at best. It's a long season, you'll play some tough road games at some point, our sched gets a little easier. We've been through this the last 2 years, relax w/ the proclamations throuhg 5 weeks.

Why are you acting like you're not 2-3?

I'm not but I understand it's a long season and I have seen my team bounce back from struggles in recent years. You probably stop watching in october since your team has been pretty much eliminated by october every year but a season is 16 games not 5.

In a way I understand your giddyness ... you've sucked for so long, now that you've gotten a small taste of success, you're drunk on it. Enjoy it ... but the hangover is going to be a *****

I'm not making excuses, and I'm not worried about our record right now. I'm saying that the Jets are a good team, and will win at least 10 games this year. It really doesn't matter in what order the wins come. We have better personel than the Bills ... we have a better coach ... and at the end of the season the record will reflect that.

You know what another prescription for losing is? Giving up 450 yards of offense EVERY game. Sooner or later you're going to run out of miracles and you're going to have to actually stop someone... or at least slow them down. You haven't been able to do it for 21 games under Chan Gailey so why should anyone think that you're going to figure it out now? You better put your head between your knees and prepare for the crash.

You are struggling to read. That was in response to you whining about how we were given a playoff spot 2 years ago.

This team has been through so much the last 2 years and it's not like we lost to 3 bad teams, we played 3 tough road games. Switch our scheds and we are 4-1 and you are 2-3 at best. It's a long season, you'll play some tough road games at some point, our sched gets a little easier. We've been through this the last 2 years, relax w/ the proclamations throuhg 5 weeks.

I'm not but I understand it's a long season and I have seen my team bounce back from struggles in recent years. You probably stop watching in october since your team has been pretty much eliminated by october every year but a season is 16 games not 5.

I fully understand the length of the NFL schedule. In 2008, the Bills started 4-0, then 5-1, then folded. Could it happen again? Sure. The Jets seem to never win the division, but cruise to the AFCCG and lose. Could that happen again? Sure. Right now you are doing nothing more than typical smack talk. "If we had your schedule........ blah, blah, blah." The FACTS are that with the schedule the Bills have, they are 4-1. Many thought they would be 1-4 or 0-5. They are proving people wrong. It in no way means squat in October. We still have yet to play you guys. If you sweep us, we're tied with you owning the tiebreaker. Believe me, I fully understand.

What I also fully understand is this is a pattern brewing with the Jets. They have soft patches during the course of the Regular Season, and not just 2 game losing streaks. They can't keep it up and expect to be taken seriously. You should want your team to improve, not fall into the same habits, unless you are the SB winner.

Back
Top Bottom