Mangini leaving Pats?Jim Bates new DC? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mangini leaving Pats?Jim Bates new DC?

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
WHAT ABOUT BATES?
Lost in the shuffle of offensive and defensive coordinators this offseason is the destination of Jim Bates, the Dolphins former defensive coordinator and interim coach. Don't worry too long. Bates figures to land one of many jobs and could be haunting the Dolphins sometime soon. Bates had hoped to get a head coaching job, but that doesn't appear in the offing. Cleveland appears set on hiring New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel.
What all of this means is that Bates could end up as the defensive coordinator at New England. Bates worked for Patriots coach Bill Belichick in Cleveland. Given that and the fact that Belichick is in no hurry to go backward, Bates could certainly end up being Belichick's top choice.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10713101.htm

Mangini may be angling for option play

It has been speculated that if Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel ends up taking over the Cleveland Browns, defensive backfield coach Eric Mangini will be elevated to defensive coordinator, but a source close to Mangini said that may not be as sure a thing as some think.

Mangini's contract is up at the end of the season, and he chose not to sign an extension last year. Naturally, he would like to get himself in a position where several teams are bidding for his services. New Dolphins coach Nick Saban already tried to hire Mangini, according to the source, and Crennel would be interested in bringing him to Cleveland as well. Mangini also has a relationship with Brad Childress, the Eagles' offensive coordinator who is the other finalist for the Browns' head coaching job. Mangini would be a favorite to take over the defense in Cleveland under Childress as well as Crennel.

"Crennel was only making $750,000 this year in New England," the source said. "[Bill] Belichick doesn't like to pay his assistants, but Mangini could get that much if he leaves New England. Do the Patriots want to pay that to a guy who's never been a coordinator? If Eric gets out on the open market and teams start bidding, they might have to or lose him." Continued...

Belichick must have been impressed with Bates when the Dolphins suprised his team this year.Mangini was expected to succeed Crenell as Pats DC but it seems he has other options as well.That would open the door for Jim Bates. I was hoping he would find a job but not that one.

UPDATE;

The career path of Jim Bates could be taking the Dolphins' former interim head coach to Green Bay.

A source said Sunday that Bates is the front-runner to become the Packers' new defensive coordinator. Bates would supplant Bob Slowik, who would shift to secondary coach to replace Kurt Schottenheimer.

Coming and going
The Tennesseean reported today that the Dolphins were denied permission earlier this month by the Titans to interview defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz for the same position under Saban. The Boston Globe reported Sunday that Saban has tried hiring Patriots secondary coach Eric Mangini as defensive coordinator. Mangini also could garner consideration for the defensive coordinator position at Cleveland or a promotion at New England if Crennel leaves.

Saban is expected to work toward completing his coaching staff while scouting college players this week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

Sullivan a Niner

Jerry Sullivan, who was the Dolphins' wide receivers coach in 2004, has signed a two-year contract for the same position at San Francisco.

Saban is expected to hire Charlie Baggett as Sullivan's replacement. A source said Baggett also will be given the title assistant head coach.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolnotes24jan24,0,1385889.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

So that would mean we wouldn't get no Pees :)

korl68 said:
So that would mean we wouldn't get to Pees :)
I was having the same thought.Maybe KB 21 can enlighten us as to what it means.

But if Belichick is a cheapskate he will probably lose Pees as well if Saban ponies up which I think he will. :)

I didn't realize that Mangini was basically a free agent coach after the playoffs. That changes things a bit and definitely puts his name into the mix.

There is no quesion that NE is cheap with their assistant coaches. That could meant that Bates gets a much higher offer elsewhere. The best part of this is that NE is finally getting ripped apart. Boy, wouldn't it be nice to see them fall apart for years to come. They may win it all this year (I hope not) but I really feel that their is bad times ahead for the Patsies.

Both would be good, but Mangini is younger and has been as big of a cog in that New England defense as Crennel has been.

So Mangini and Pees are out of the picture.....

That leaves us with Tampa's M. Tomlin, the better of the three IMO....

PHINZ RULE!!! :evil:

Honestly it doesnt matter to me. I would like to see Pees or Tomlin in there. It doesnt make a difference to me.

BLITZKRIEG said:
So Mangini and Pees are out of the picture.....

That leaves us with Tampa's M. Tomlin, the better of the three IMO....

PHINZ RULE!!! :evil:
I agree, I'd rather have Tomlin, he is going places in this league and is a great coach.

I think it wouldn'e be such a bad thing if Bates joined the pats...I mean every player in our team knows the way he thinks....it would give us somewhat of an edge. On the other side if we were to release a Zach Thomas per say..they might wanna end up in New England with Bates...now that would be a bite in behind for us but hey...right now I don't care where bates go..I'm so confident with the staff that Saban is building that I haven't felt this good in around 10 years...Jimmy Johnson was a cancer..and Wanny was his offspring...It smells like football around here again, darnit!!

How happy are we with Mel Phillips as a DB coach. Tomlin is a FA coach so we don't necesscerily have to give him a promotion. I'm sure he would be happy as long as we gave him oppurtunity to seak to other teams about an open defensive coordinator spot. Something that he didn't have in tampa.

KB21 said:
I didn't realize that Mangini was basically a free agent coach after the playoffs. That changes things a bit and definitely puts his name into the mix.
Could it be that its Mangini the one Saban wants and not Pees ? .He keeps things close to the vest and perhaps the press has not thought about that possibility yet.

Back
Top Bottom