Manning defends Marino | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manning defends Marino

Matt Cassell proved the same thing Steve Young did, with the right system you can mitigate the effect your QB has on the system.

Steve Young inherited a dynasty and was a HOF QB yet only won one SB thanks in large part to the Jimmy Johnson-Jerry Jones falling out.

How did that Belichick system do w/o Brady in Cleveland or in NE for the first 18 games? People forget Cassell won 10 games last year- that's 6 less than Brady the year before. That's a HUGE difference especially since the sched was weaker and Cassell had been in that system for years backing up Brady so he knew the system.

Now that's even crazier. Manning is the smartest player out there. He constantly audibles and changes his recievers routes based on the defense. In the 2006 playoff game against the Patriots, they Pats had gameplanned for weeks on a new type of coverage to confuse and stop Manning. But by the end of the game, he found the weakness, and exploited it on the final drive to win the game.

Manning reads defensive coverage better than anyone by far. I would even say Brady is closer to Manning physically than mentally.

And he used to melt in the playoffs early in his career, not so much anymore.

He's fragile mentally.

Not so much anymore? nah, just the last 2 years after winning the SB. His 2 INTs killed Indy at home 2 years ago and last year he made one play all game when SD was asleep and had a chance to end the game w/ one first down but couldn't do it.

A coach who has done NOTHING w/o Brady.

Isn't it funny that Tony dungy w/o Manning made an NFC Title Game while BB w/o Brady has never made a conf title game.

Belichick has never had anything close to Brady to work with at QB. nonetheless, this isn't the dreaful Brady-Manning argument over again. you don't win a SB with a bunch of scrubs. that's all i'm saying. those NE teams had a very solid nucleus of players, too. especially in 03 and 04.

Peyton Manning is the best QB in the game right now, hands down. His comments about guys like Marino, Kelly and Tarkenton were very complimentary. He can relate because his dad was a great QB who played for a lousy team in New Orleans every year. I have a lot of respect for Manning, but I do believe that the Saints will come marching in to Miami on Super Sunday and leave with the crown.

It's one thing to say Brady is better than Manning, but it's a very different thing to diss Manning and say he's just a lucky loser who's practically been carried by the talent on his team. That, to me, just shows an absolute lack of football knowledge.

Also includes John Stockton in that quote.
FYI: Karl Malone and John Stockton got me into sports.

I was a basketball fan before anything, and I always rooted for the Jazz. I was a 5 year old Davie redneck, that liked the Jazz. haha

Right on dude. I was at all the Jazz games last week except Cleveland.

That was so funny, Manning became one of my favorite players after that and when they beat the Patriots in the 06 afc champoinship.

Seriously man... He is HILARIOUS... That line...

"Spend time with your kids... So Peyton Manning doesn't."

Comedy gold. :thumbup:

didn't Brady win 18 games in 07 and Cassell won 10. So why do people keep saying he won 6 more games my math has a 8 game difference

It's one thing to say Brady is better than Manning, but it's a very different thing to diss Manning and say he's just a lucky loser who's practically been carried by the talent on his team. That, to me, just shows an absolute lack of football knowledge.

Way to exaggerate. I don't think nyjunc would call Manning a "lucky loser" overall as a player.

Manning has choked historically in the playoffs. He rarely plays well. Neither did Marino. Ya, it's a team game... but Manning has not been NEARLY as consistent in the playoffs as he has been in the regular season.

Manning is a great regular season quarterback and one of the best all-time.

Just checked his playoff stats:

7 wins, 8 losses... 25 total TD's/17 INT... 84 career rating (94 career rating in regular season) <--- not BAD stats but not ELITE, either.

The year they won the super bowl he had 4 TD/7 INT

He's played better in the playoffs than our very own Marino did, but nothing to write home about.

Belichick has never had anything close to Brady to work with at QB. nonetheless, this isn't the dreaful Brady-Manning argument over again. you don't win a SB with a bunch of scrubs. that's all i'm saying. those NE teams had a very solid nucleus of players, too. especially in 03 and 04.

Dungy made a title game w/ Shaun King at QB. Belichick had Testaverde, Kosar and Bledsoe- 3 QBs who made title games w/ 3 other coaches.

didn't Brady win 18 games in 07 and Cassell won 10. So why do people keep saying he won 6 more games my math has a 8 game difference

I'm using the apples to apples reg season games.

Way to exaggerate. I don't think nyjunc would call Manning a "lucky loser" overall as a player.

Manning has choked historically in the playoffs. He rarely plays well. Neither did Marino. Ya, it's a team game... but Manning has not been NEARLY as consistent in the playoffs as he has been in the regular season.

Manning is a great regular season quarterback and one of the best all-time.

Just checked his playoff stats:

7 wins, 8 losses... 25 total TD's/17 INT... 84 career rating (94 career rating in regular season) <--- not BAD stats but not ELITE, either.

The year they won the super bowl he had 4 TD/7 INT

He's played better in the playoffs than our very own Marino did, but nothing to write home about.

Those #s are better than he actually played in some of those games w/ some late tack on TDs and other turnovers and bad decisions that turned games.

If Marino had the talent around him that Manning has and has had he would have won 2-3 Super Bowls. I criticize manning b/c he has held Indy back in January. People don't like to hear that but it's true. In their 8 playoff losses he has led his O to less than 14 PPG, you aren't going to win many playoff games scoring less than 14 points in a game.

the similarity between those Tampa teams and Indy is mind-boggling...

Does that matter? He rebuilt an awful franchise and took them to an NFC Title Game. BB has never done that w/o Brady, he had a team in Cle 1994 as good as TB 1999.

NE was 5-11 w/ Bledsoe in 2000 then started 0-2 in 2001 until Brady rescued both NE and BB's HC career. There were already rumors early in '01 that BB was on his way out. Brady rescued a sinking ship.

Does that matter? He rebuilt an awful franchise and took them to an NFC Title Game. BB has never done that w/o Brady, he had a team in Cle 1994 as good as TB 1999.

NE was 5-11 w/ Bledsoe in 2000 then started 0-2 in 2001 until Brady rescued both NE and BB's HC career. There were already rumors early in '01 that BB was on his way out. Brady rescued a sinking ship.

so, basically you agree with me when i say Belichick has never had anything close to Brady to work with? because that's what i said originally.

so, basically you agree with me when i say Belichick has never had anything close to Brady to work with? because that's what i said originally.

How many coaches have had anything close to Brady to work w// yet other coaches have made title games, have made more than 1 postseason, have actually won SBs w/ lesser QBs. The 3 primary QBs he's had to to work w/ as a HC: Kosar, Testaverder and Bledsoe all at least made a conf title game and Bledsoe made a SB.

BB is hailed as a genius but he has done NOTHING w/o Tom Brady.

Back
Top Bottom