Manny for Abreu | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manny for Abreu

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Being reported that Manny is going to Philly for Bobby Abreu.

The Philly press is loving this. First Terrell Owens, now Manny. And Manny will get destroyed first time he doesn't run out a ground ball, that press will eat him alive.

Good move for Boston, Abreu could also play CF if/when the Sox don't resign Damon. The ONE downside with Abreu is will he handle Boston? He might be like a Beltran who couldnt' handle NY and had a dissapointing season with the Mets. I could see Abreu having a tough time at first adjusting to a tough baseball city like Boston.

Word is the deal will be done before the next big club meetings coming up this month.

(other rumor is there is fear Manny will block the trade, so now LAA will get involved and Manny will end up there, Abreu in Boston, and LAA sending players to Philly)

Is the PHilly press really that much worse than Boston? If Manny isnt hitting 140rbis a year it will be a problem, if hes performing no one will give a crap.

Philly is way worse than Boston when it comes to the media. The Boston media is so over the top its laughable and they aren't taken seriously at times. The Boston media is tough don't get me wrong, but Philly is insane.

I think this trade works out for both sides. The Phillies get to drop Abreu's contract (which they've tried to get off their books for a while now because they feel they're paying him to much for what he does) and Boston gets Manny out of town. Abreu has a better glove and speed then Manny. He'll hit nearly 20 less homeruns and drive in 40 less but he makes up for that in the outfield and with his stolen bases IMO. Meanwhile the Phillies get a player who could very well hit 60 homeruns in that ballpark. Citizens bank is a homerun hitter heaven, Manny in that ballpark 81 games is scary. All those balls Manny wacked off the monster will now sail into the sunset and that should add up an increase in homeruns this year (even up from the 40 something he hit this year). I think this works out for both sides and is probably the best deal I've heard for Manny yet!

Hey.....I love Bobby Abreu....but there is no way that Boston isn't coming out way behind in this deal.....

He doesn't want to play in Boston because of the media, yet he will accept a trade to Philly. Trade sounds decent but I really don't see this one happening...

I LOVE Bobby Abreu. Outstanding ballplayer... and he was baseball's best kept secret up until this year when he won a meaningless Homerun Derby. It's sad it took something so pointless to get him kudos he's deserved for a long time.

As far as the deal, we're gonna need another player in this deal if we are going to get somewhere close to fair value. But I definitely like the direction of this deal, IF we are forced to trade Manny.

Bobby Abreu is disliked by a lot of Phillies fans because he loafs in the outfield and doesn't always give it all. He's a very good player, but I don't think this trade will happen.

Abreu also has a no trade claus so he has to ok any trade as well as Manny. Also Manny has said in the past that he doesn't want to go and play in Philly.

But I do agree with many people on this board that Manny for Abreu is the best trade rumor so far.

MikeO said:
Philly is way worse than Boston when it comes to the media. The Boston media is so over the top its laughable and they aren't taken seriously at times. The Boston media is tough don't get me wrong, but Philly is insane.

So if Philly's media is worse than Boston then why did you say Abreu might not be able to handle the pressure in Boston? Doesn't make sense to me. It's nothing like Beltran coming to NY after playing in both KC and Houston.

I LOVE how you bash every Red Sox move and non-move. I can't wait for you to justify what a great deal the Yankees just made signing Kyle Farnsworth to a 3 year, $17 million contract when the guy has 2 good years out of 7 with a career 4.45 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, and .246 BAA all pitching in the NL (minus the 46 games he pitched with the Tigers). Oh yeah and who also sucked in the playoffs year giving up 2 HRs in 2 innings in the Braves elimination game (a grand slam to Berkman and a game tying HR to Ausmus). Oh but he throws hard though :shakeno:

Do you have a link? I didn't see it on ESPN.com yet.

Manny for Abreu? Interesting.

If anyone's wondering, here's their career stats...
http://baseball-reference.com/a/abreubo01.shtml
http://baseball-reference.com/r/ramirma02.shtml

If that goes through, I'm guessing Sox fans will howl bloody murder. Interesting thing, though, on BR. The batter Abreu's stats are most similar to over the last two years? Bernie Williams. Obviously, the name Bobby Abreu doesn't carry the same cache as Bernie Williams, but if you looked at the trade as "Manny Ramirez for the 2000 Bernie Williams and a significant savings in salary", it looks a lot better.

phunwin said:
Do you have a link? I didn't see it on ESPN.com yet.

It's being rumored on various rumor sites like rotoworld.com and such. Who knows if there's any truth to it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I like Abreu, I think he's a good player but Manny is worth more than just him in my opinion.

Ray Finkle said:
It's being rumored on various rumor sites like rotoworld.com and such. Who knows if there's any truth to it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I like Abreu, I think he's a good player but Manny is worth more than just him in my opinion.

I think you're probably right. But if the Phillies make this work, that Thome trade looks even better than it did before. Surely, a Ramirez deal wouldn't have been possible without the Thome trade.

According to ESPN radio, the sox/s offered the trade, and the Phill's said go away.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
According to ESPN radio, the sox/s offered the trade, and the Phill's said go away.

If it was just Manny for Bobby straight up, the Phillies would be nuts to blow them off. Maybe the Sox asked for Gavin Floyd, too, or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom