Manny for Abreu | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Manny for Abreu

phunwin said:
If it was just Manny for Bobby straight up, the Phillies would be nuts to blow them off. Maybe the Sox asked for Gavin Floyd, too, or something like that.

Not sure, but they just said the Phills said no. But who knows?

MikeO said:
Being reported that Manny is going to Philly for Bobby Abreu.

The Philly press is loving this. First Terrell Owens, now Manny. And Manny will get destroyed first time he doesn't run out a ground ball, that press will eat him alive.

Good move for Boston, Abreu could also play CF if/when the Sox don't resign Damon. The ONE downside with Abreu is will he handle Boston? He might be like a Beltran who couldnt' handle NY and had a dissapointing season with the Mets. I could see Abreu having a tough time at first adjusting to a tough baseball city like Boston.

Word is the deal will be done before the next big club meetings coming up this month.

(other rumor is there is fear Manny will block the trade, so now LAA will get involved and Manny will end up there, Abreu in Boston, and LAA sending players to Philly)

What makes you think the Philly press doesn't destroy Abreu for his complete lack of effort when it comes to fielding. I'd take it, Manny may be older but he can still produce offensively as much as Abreu and is a FAR better fielder than Abreu who won a gold glove for.....i dont even know why.

If we had to give up Garbage Floyd, i'd do it. Because he has proved to amount to nothing so far in the minors and in the pro's and if we have an over rated prospect like him that fans are crying for to be moved to the starting roto i think i'd just rather take Manny.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
According to ESPN radio, the sox/s offered the trade, and the Phill's said go away.

Call me crazy but does anyone think it's possible that the Sox called the Phillies up and mentioned Manny's name in an attempt to get Omar a little nervous so he'd possibly offer more players/prospects in a potential Manny to the Mets deal?

phunwin said:
If it was just Manny for Bobby straight up, the Phillies would be nuts to blow them off. Maybe the Sox asked for Gavin Floyd, too, or something like that.

I heard from a friend that watched Sport Center at 6 that Stark reported that the Phillies asked for Manny and a #1 pitcher in return for Abreu. Let me be the first one to laugh at Pat Gilleck for that one.

Ray Finkle said:
I heard from a friend that watched Sport Center at 6 that Stark reported that the Phillies asked for Manny and a #1 pitcher in return for Abreu. Let me be the first one to laugh at Pat Gilleck for that one.

Manny and Arroyo (they have been trying to move him for a year now) for Abreu and Philly will throw something else in. Not a crazy notion.

MikeO said:
Manny and Arroyo (they have been trying to move him for a year now) for Abreu and Philly will throw something else in. Not a crazy notion.

Why should the Sox throw anything else in for a lesser player? If anything the Phillies should give the Red Sox other players besides just Abreu. Manny for Abreu is alright I guess considering all the other trade rumors but Manny AND someone else for Abreu. Come on that's awful. When did Bobby Abreu become Albert Pujols? He's a nice player but can't hold Manny's jock strap.

If the Phillies want Manny and Arroyo that's fine. But they should give the Red Sox at least a few more good prospects/players.

Ray Finkle said:
Why should the Sox throw anything else in for a lesser player? If anything the Phillies should give the Red Sox other players besides just Abreu. Manny for Abreu is alright I guess considering all the other trade rumors but Manny AND someone else for Abreu. Come on that's awful. When did Bobby Abreu become Albert Pujols? He's a nice player but can't hold Manny's jock strap.

If the Phillies want Manny and Arroyo that's fine. But they should give the Red Sox at least a few more good prospects/players.

1) Boston just wants to rid itself of Manny. So, they will take less to just get rid of him. Boston has NO LEVERAGE in any trades involving Manny with any team. Teams know Boston must move him.

2) You will NEVER get equal value for Manny in the perfect circumstance anyway.

MikeO said:
1) Boston just wants to rid itself of Manny. So, they will take less to just get rid of him. Boston has NO LEVERAGE in any trades involving Manny with any team. Teams know Boston must move him.

1.) Once again Boston doesn't want to get rid of him. If you have been following any news the F.O., most notable Larry Lucchino (who in the past has been the most critical of Manny) has come out and said in the public and to Manny himself that they want him to stay on the team. Manny has said he wants to leave and the F.O. said they'd see what they can do but they weren't going to trade him just to trade him. Saying Boston has no leverage is funny because the Red Sox DON'T have to trade Manny. Manny signed a contract to play for the Red Sox until his contract is up, therefore the Red Sox own the rights to him. They decide whether or not Manny goes.

2.) I agree with you that you'll never get equal value for Manny in a perfect circumstance. However asking Boston for Manny and a pitcher for a lesser player is a joke. Again if anything the Phillies are the ones that should give the Sox Abreu and a pitcher, like a Garvin Floyd.

MikeO said:

1) It's not a must situation. The front office would probably like to, but they can afford to pay him and deal with his antics for another year if need be. His offense makes them forget about it most of the time anyways.

2) Other than a select few players in this league, this is true. We're talking Pujols, Cabrera, Guerrero, and that's about it. Although I think Boston should maybe look into possibly acquiring Adam Dunn, sending Manny in a 3-way to LAA. The Angels could send some of their nice prospects, especially if they're willing to give up Ervin Santana. Dunn's sweet stroke would be nice in Fenway, I'd think. And that lineup can absorb his Ks...he would serve as nice protection for Big Papi, too, if it came down to it.

Well, Arroyo was basically a league-average pitcher last year, so it's not like he's a tremendous loss. Still, that seems excessive to ask for Manny *AND* Arroyo for Abreu. Even if we accept that the Sox will end up moving Ramirez for less than full value, that's pretty ludicrious. Surely the Mets or Angels would come up with a better offer than that.

RWhitney014 said:
1) It's not a must situation. The front office would probably like to, but they can afford to pay him and deal with his antics for another year if need be. His offense makes them forget about it most of the time anyways.

2) Other than a select few players in this league, this is true. We're talking Pujols, Cabrera, Guerrero, and that's about it. Although I think Boston should maybe look into possibly acquiring Adam Dunn, sending Manny in a 3-way to LAA. The Angels could send some of their nice prospects, especially if they're willing to give up Ervin Santana. Dunn's sweet stroke would be nice in Fenway, I'd think. And that lineup can absorb his Ks...he would serve as nice protection for Big Papi, too, if it came down to it.

I agree with both points. I'd love for the Red Sox to somehow get Adam Dunn to play at Fenway. I know it would never happened but I'd like to see what it would take if anything to see if Texierra is available in Texas and at what price. I like him even more than I like Dunn. He'd be great at Fenway too.

phunwin said:
Well, Arroyo was basically a league-average pitcher last year, so it's not like he's a tremendous loss. Still, that seems excessive to ask for Manny *AND* Arroyo for Abreu. Even if we accept that the Sox will end up moving Ramirez for less than full value, that's pretty ludicrious. Surely the Mets or Angels would come up with a better offer than that.

I couldn't agree more and that's what I was trying to say. Manny AND a player for Abreu is a joke. Granted Arroyo is average at best, the Phillies are still asking for too much. I personally think that the Manny for Abreu thing was just to try and get an extra prospect or more leverage with the Mets. Can you imagine what the Met fans would say if Manny went to the Phillies instead of the Mets?

It's not a must situation and the Sox have more leverage than you think.

No way will it be for full value but everyone and their mother knows that.

MikeO said:
Check the site these losers have put together.....

http://www.keepmanny.com/

Why are they losers Mike? Because they like Manny and want him on their team next year?

And you have the nerve to say that I sweat the Yankees by posting about them? You haven't quit talking and posting about the Red Sox since the season ended.

Back
Top Bottom