Marino and the QB position | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino and the QB position

If Sage was the man, I think he would have been in there already. I am not supporting Griese but we have yet to see him consistently. Yet with that being said I still want to draft Rivers with Brunell coming in and Sage as #2.

Originally posted by SMadison29

I think we need another good young receiver than a weak armed project QB. Michael Clayton, Rashaun Woods, Lee Evans, or Vernon Carey should be our selection.

Where did you hear he was weak armed? He has got a strong arm but better yet he is accurate. And although I agree we need a Reciever to compliment Chambers, I'd rather see a F/A aquisition.

If we get Brunell, draft a young QB, sign a Reciever, LT, Guard from the F/A market and draft another Reciver and O-lineman we will be (barring that they are quality picks) looking good for at least a few years or until the defense gets too old. But then we can address that in next years draft.

You can bet Griese is gone before Jay even goes...and with Marino here looming over Spielman's shoulder, I bet Jay is gone.

But keep one thing in mind, it looks like Warner is not going to be leaving St Louis necessarily. Martz, who already tried to bench Bulger once but had Warner go to bat for the kid, is now showing zero confidence in Bulger and I think he's openly blaming the kid for the loss to the Panthers. League insiders are now saying Martz wants to keep Warner and have him show up to camp next year as the STARTER.

Makes me wonder if Bulger might be traded...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
You can bet Griese is gone before Jay even goes...and with Marino here looming over Spielman's shoulder, I bet Jay is gone.

But keep one thing in mind, it looks like Warner is not going to be leaving St Louis necessarily. Martz, who already tried to bench Bulger once but had Warner go to bat for the kid, is now showing zero confidence in Bulger and I think he's openly blaming the kid for the loss to the Panthers. League insiders are now saying Martz wants to keep Warner and have him show up to camp next year as the STARTER.

Makes me wonder if Bulger might be traded...

Typical of a hC blaming a player for his own brainfarts !!

This is a tricky situation I think. If we draft a rookie in the first round you don't necessarily want him to be a 3rd QB clipboard holder...because there's too much expectation with him and the fans would take it as a sign of disappointment. Also it would be nice to be able to get him in there every now and then to sling it around a few times and see what he can do. You can't necessarily do that if he's your 3rd QB.

Also you probably should be careful with Sage. He hasn't gotten a chance to throw anything during the regular season here and the fans have heard nothing but good coming from coaches about him. Would be awefully confusing if we kept him as a 3rd QB to Brunell and a rookie.

I'm not sure we shouldn't save our money, draft a rookie, and take our chances on Sage Rosenfels next season. No risk no reward. If Sage does well, then we get to trade him away for good compensation and our investment is repaid. If he's not, it opens the door for our rookie to come in as a "savior" type...perfect role for a guy who really wants it and has the tools to get it.

If Rivers has a noodle arm and he's 6'5" then maybe we SHOULD change his throwing mechanics. We might notice he's got a speeding bullet for arm with a normal throwing motion.

ck parrot

I don't agree
1) You do want a rookie to be the clipboard holder in year #1 because he has so much to learn that he will see as much time as Sage has seen.

2) Sage @ #2 will get a chance to play with Brunell starting @ some point of the season. Rare for any qb to take all the snaps in a season, especially a vet like Brunell.

3) I know the staff likes Sage but look at what they liked for 4 years!!

4) as far as saving money, I don't agree with that most of all the time to win is now!!! If Wayne has to break the bank by putting more $ in Bonuses than so be it. He owes us something other than the snow job we have gotten since the season ended.

Wayne sounded mighty impatient to get this team back into the SB hunt; so I am not expecting Dan to be that concerned with drafting a QB that w/play in 2004; but more concerned about finding a QB who can get the Phin's O to an SB caliber level in 2004 or at least a highest enough level to compliment our D. That w/mean a FA pick up like Brunnell and possibly even a Fiedler as well to back him up (after he re-neg. and is told he will compete to be starter).

this is also interesting from McKay:
I'm sure he'll be used in the recruiting of free agents," new Atlanta Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay said Monday night. "When Dan Marino calls, it's certainly a little more impressive than when Rich McKay calls. That will be a plus.

"He'll also be able to gain instant credibility with agents. Guys like me, it took us a little while to get credibility."
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstory0113SIDERRR.htm

Go with Sage???...I don't like that idea.

I've seen enough of him over the mini-camps, training camps, and pre-season to come to that decision. He's just not there IMO. He should be kept on the roster though...

Who knows, maybe if they decide to keep him, he'll improve enough this off-season to make a race out of it. You never really know until it actually does or doesn't happen....

I think Jay and Brian are both gone now that Danny is here. He's not in favor of starting either one of them IMO. I'm not sure what will happpen, but anything is almost better than Fielder at this point.

I wasn't in favor of it at first, but QB M. Brunell wouldn't be all that bad considering we need to spend most of the money on the OL....

It all starts up front, and not only is protecting the QB important, Ricky is also way too valuable to us. It's like protecting your most prized treasure with a sling shot. We need solid iron bars that come crashing down on anything trying to get through!!!

....right now we have nothing but a sling shot. :(

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

We have to draft a young, this years draft looks as good as it has been in a long time and we must put some considerations to the immediate future.

Yes we need to win soon, but that mentality with no consideration for the future is foolish.

Grieses's 5 Year Record

Originally posted by T-Bone
Brunell and Rivers sounds good to me! Although it would be interesting if we could not get Brunell for some reason, still draft Rivers keep Griese @ reduced salary (Did not see enough of Griese to bash him like we bash Jay).

BG's record as a starter is 29-29. In Denver he had a better OL, receivers and good defense. He only had one playoff apperance and it was a loss. He would be 30-28 but I gave him the loss in the WASH game here at home.

Does not matter if he only played 5 games here. What matter is what has he done in his career!

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay was a backup, Farve was a backup, Brunell was a 3rd stringer I think, Gannon was a backup, Bulger was, Warner was..etc. Those guys just got time to play. Sage hasn't other then that awesome drive down the filed to avoid a shut out. That shows me something. Late in the game, shutout in the works, no minutes in the pros for how many years and he calmly comes in and makes some great throws to lead us down the field.

It's time to give him a shot to earn the #2 spot. Get Brunell as the #1 and draft a LATE round QB for the #3.

I think our first pick should be a WR. WR's seem to be able to make the most impact in their 1st year. If we have another 1st round pick from Wally leaving, I say trade down into the top of the 2nd and get Rivers. He would beat out any of the QB's on our roster now.

We can then move up or down in the 2nd and or 3rd round and get an offensive lineman. I think Free Agency is our best bet for improving the offensive line in a more timely manner.

After the 3rd round take the best player available regardless of position. Right now Rivers is all over the board, from what I've seen, but I really would like to get him in a Dolphin uniform.

Re: Re: Grieses's 5 Year Record

Originally posted by T-Bone

We all know what Jay's marvelous record has done for us for the past 4 years. Stats can be so decieving, I'm not saying BG is the answer but all I've seen from posters that defend Jay is that he has won xxx. Yet when it comes to his completion percentage, TD / INT percentage you never hear another word about stats.
All I said is that we really didn't see much of Griese to make a determination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ckparrothead
This is a tricky situation I think. If we draft a rookie in the first round you don't necessarily want him to be a 3rd QB clipboard holder...because there's too much expectation with him and the fans would take it as a sign of disappointment. Also it would be nice to be able to get him in there every now and then to sling it around a few times and see what he can do. You can't necessarily do that if he's your 3rd QB.

Also you probably should be careful with Sage. He hasn't gotten a chance to throw anything during the regular season here and the fans have heard nothing but good coming from coaches about him. Would be awefully confusing if we kept him as a 3rd QB to Brunell and a rookie.

I'm not sure we shouldn't save our money, draft a rookie, and take our chances on Sage Rosenfels next season. No risk no reward. If Sage does well, then we get to trade him away for good compensation and our investment is repaid. If he's not, it opens the door for our rookie to come in as a "savior" type...perfect role for a guy who really wants it and has the tools to get it.

If Rivers has a noodle arm and he's 6'5" then maybe we SHOULD change his throwing mechanics. We might notice he's got a speeding bullet for arm with a normal throwing motion.

IMO, first thing we do in the draft regardless of anything else is draft a QB for the future. We need one and that's really the only way to get one. If that happenes, I wouldn't mind Fiedler back if restructured but i think his roster bonus kicks in first b4 the draft, so I'm not too high on that. But let the kid sit and learn with a vet and try to re-sign Sage as the 3rd. We have to do something like this sooner or later and this yrs crop is decent enough for us to have a reasonable shot. The rest of the draft would depend mainly on what we do in FA. If we really fill alot of OL holes there, then we can concentrate early on in the draft on WR. if not, then we must go OL early. The OL is more of a priority than anything else, second to drafting a QB altho the rest will help now while the QB is for the years after.

Back
Top Bottom