Marino on Ricky Williams situation and Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino on Ricky Williams situation and Dolphins

Agua said:
The scorn that will fall on the team if he quits or fails another drug test is one. The disrespect it demonstrates to the guys who did their job and resentment they may harbour is two. I could think up several more if I was feeling particularly ambitious, but I'm not.

What scorn? For giving a man second chance? Even if he fails to live up to his end of the bargain? I see nothing wrong with giving a man a second chance, particularly when it will have no causal negative impact on the team's play if he fails to live up to his bargain. Now if Saban were staking the fortunes of the entire team on Ricky Williams, I may agree with you, but he is not.. That is why Ronnie Brown was drafted.

People deserve second chances.. As a worker, you should not feel "disrespected" if your employer chooses to employ someone with who you dislike or disagree with. You were doing your job, and that is all you should be concerned about. Worry about how you performed your duties.. How others performed or did not perform should not be much of your concern. I understand that in a team concept, one cog, and an important one, might effect your performance, but the burden is on your employer to build a system that does not crumble if one cog malfunctions.

The Dolphins will suffer no reputation damage if the man they give a second chance fails to redeem himself, nor will they suffer another structural collapse, for this time, the employer has created a system that will not be hinged upon one faulty cog.

SkapePhin said:
Honestly, how on Earth could it blow up in his face? I cannot think of a single scenario in which Ricky Williams would be a detriment.. The only one that would come close is if Ronnie Brown goes down, then Ricky promptly retires.. But, we would be in the exact same position whether we took Ricky back or not, so that scenario is irrelevant imo..

The Ricky detractors need to understand that the Dolphins are NOT basing their entire offense around Ricky Williams EVER again.. Now he is just ADDED value, a compliment to our offense, NOT the focus. There is not a single scenario where Ricky would "blow up" in his face.

Well, there are the distractions. The NFL mandates some media access and they'll have more RW's questions than we had RW's threads. It affected how often I came to the site just b/c it was annoying. I'm sure it will annoy the players as well. And no matter what anyone says publicly, you know that some players will feel betrayed and not want him back. The result is that time players would spend studying the playbook or otherwise preparing will turn into ***** sessions about RW. That's what happened here at Finheaven. It's human nature and it's inevitable.

It's also possible that 195 pound, older runningback is nowhere near as good as the 230 pound, younger runningback was. I would hate to release or lose a RB like Gordon or Harris and have them blowup elsewhere b/c we needed their roster spot to rely on a proven unreliable and short-term (at best) fill-in.

Also there is the salary cap thing. Will the team get him at the vet min.? Anything above that will probably limit our opportunity to upgrade/address other needs.

Those are quite a few potential problems for a player that most people think will provide about 500 yds of production.

Good Read. Marino is a smart guy and knows the game of football, and if he's cool with this move, then so am I. Marino would be the first guy to say it if he felt this was a bad move.. Thanks for your opnion Danny..

phillyphinphan said:
You know what AZ, your post got me to wondering, what if Marino came out and ripped Saban for his moves, whose side would you fall on? It would be tough but I would have to support the person with the most direct influence on my team (in this particular case)

I'm so glad you asked! :D

It wouldn't have surprised me if Marino expressed more skepticism over the move. I certainly wouldn't have bashed him for it. Let me say this: I was more encouraged by his supportive comments than I would have been discouraged by negative comments.

As far as whose side I'm on, I think Saban is right to assemble as many weapons on offense as possible, considering our woes on that side of the ball last year. I think Brown will benefit from the graduated increase of carries from his college career the Williams "unretirement" would afford.

I think Saban is in the unique position of being unfettered by emotion when it comes to Ricky's possible return. He wasn't personally let down, so he can be more objective when it comes to evaluating Williams's football abilities when TC rolls around.

SkapePhin said:
What scorn? For giving a man second chance? Even if he fails to live up to his end of the bargain? I see nothing wrong with giving a man a second chance, particularly when it will have no causal negative impact on the team's play if he fails to live up to his bargain. Now if Saban were staking the fortunes of the entire team on Ricky Williams, I may agree with you, but he is not.. That is why Ronnie Brown was drafted.

People deserve second chances.. As a worker, you should not feel "disrespected" if your employer chooses to employ someone with who you dislike or disagree with. You were doing your job, and that is all you should be concerned about. Worry about how you performed your duties.. How others performed or did not perform should not be much of your concern. I understand that in a team concept, one cog, and an important one, might effect your performance, but the burden is on your employer to build a system that does not crumble if one cog malfunctions.

The Dolphins will suffer no reputation damage if the man they give a second chance fails to redeem himself, nor will they suffer another structural collapse, for this time, the employer has created a system that will not be hinged upon one faulty cog.

Look bro, I could sit here and go point for point with you on this crap but it ain't worth it. Especially in light of the fact that I've resigned myself to the reality that KnuckleHead is coming back, so let it rest. Second chances, third chances, fourth chances, whatever. It all hinges on Saban being able to control the situation. As a Dolphin fan for damned near all my life, I HOPE he can. I'm not going to underestimate the guy, so if you're looking for an argument, go somewhere else.

``People make mistakes all the time,'' Marino said. ``You can't condemn him for life.'' I agree with marino!

DrAstroZoom said:
I'm so glad you asked! :D

It wouldn't have surprised me if Marino expressed more skepticism over the move. I certainly wouldn't have bashed him for it. Let me say this: I was more encouraged by his supportive comments than I would have been discouraged by negative comments.

As far as whose side I'm on, I think Saban is right to assemble as many weapons on offense as possible, considering our woes on that side of the ball last year. I think Brown will benefit from the graduated increase of carries from his college career the Williams "unretirement" would afford.

I think Saban is in the unique position of being unfettered by emotion when it comes to Ricky's possible return. He wasn't personally let down, so he can be more objective when it comes to evaluating Williams's football abilities when TC rolls around.

I agree with your point on Saban's emotional (un)attatchment to last year's fiasco, I always judge with my own two eyes more than anything else but I respect Marino a lot and I'm glad he gave Saban a ringing endorsement.....

SkapePhin said:
Honestly, how on Earth could it blow up in his face? I cannot think of a single scenario in which Ricky Williams would be a detriment.. The only one that would come close is if Ronnie Brown goes down, then Ricky promptly retires.. But, we would be in the exact same position whether we took Ricky back or not, so that scenario is irrelevant imo..

The Ricky detractors need to understand that the Dolphins are NOT basing their entire offense around Ricky Williams EVER again.. Now he is just ADDED value, a compliment to our offense, NOT the focus. There is not a single scenario where Ricky would "blow up" in his face.

Do you truly believe that it would work? Ricky as a component and not a focal point? It certainly didn't work in New Orleans when he and Duece ran 1-2.

inFINSible said:
Especially those that constantly cry for a new QB before we even give the ones we have, a chance.

Dan sure is smart.

However Dan has criticized Feeley numerous times and said they needed to look elsewhere for a QB. The QB situation wasn't brought up in this article!

Agua said:
Look bro, I could sit here and go point for point with you on this crap but it ain't worth it. Especially in light of the fact that I've resigned myself to the reality that KnuckleHead is coming back, so let it rest. Second chances, third chances, fourth chances, whatever. It all hinges on Saban being able to control the situation. As a Dolphin fan for damned near all my life, I HOPE he can. I'm not going to underestimate the guy, so if you're looking for an argument, go somewhere else.

Lump me into your catergory 'cause there's no point in my continued arguement of Ricky's return. To add to what you said, I feel bad for Ronnie if only just the distraction. But I do have the confidence in Saban if not Ricky.

chambers84 said:
However Dan has criticized Feeley numerous times and said they needed to look elsewhere for a QB. The QB situation wasn't brought up in this article!

Really? Interesting.. I recall hearing him say late in the year that Feeley's toughness impressed him, and that he may be alright for the Dolphins.. Cite your sources.. Id like to see one quote from Marino where he criticizes Feeley.

SkapePhin said:
Really? Interesting.. I recall hearing him say late in the year that Feeley's toughness impressed him, and that he may be alright for the Dolphins.. Cite your sources.. Id like to see one quote from Marino where he criticizes Feeley.
Cmon skape how many times did Dan say that our QB play needed improvement. As far as sources there hasn't been any "reading" on it, but he made a comment on it every week. Sure Feeley's "toughness" impressed him, but not his play. As soon as you get off Feeley's jock strap the sooner you will realize that Feeleys isn't what WANNY thought he would be. Saban wouldn't have made that trade and you know it. I think you have been seduced by the dark side of the force! :evil:

chambers84 said:
Cmon skape how many times did Dan say that our QB play needed improvement. As far as sources there hasn't been any "reading" on it, but he made a comment on it every week. Sure Feeley's "toughness" impressed him, but not his play. As soon as you get off Feeley's jock strap the sooner you will realize that Feeleys isn't what WANNY thought he would be. Saban wouldn't have made that trade and you know it. I think you have been seduced by the dark side of the force! :evil:

First of all, Wanny never wanted Feeley.. Secondly, Dan saying our QB play needed improvement is common sense.. Pretty much everyone's QB play needs improvement at times.. Heck, During Dan's final years Im sure the media was saying Miami could use better QB play.. Thats not the same as completely trashing the guy and saying he is trash and will never amount to anything, which Marino most certainly never said.

Back
Top Bottom