Marino or Montana | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino or Montana

KeyHawk

Practice Squad
Reaction score
At least Marino was second.

From Yahoo.com:

If you could have one of the following players on your team in his prime, who would you choose?

29517 votes since Apr 7 2004

Joe Namath 2% 855 votes
Terry Bradshaw 5% 1674 votes
Dan Marino 15% 4521 votes
Joe Montana 47% 14027 votes
Johnny Unitas 7% 2083 votes
John Elway 14% 4254 votes
Roger Staubach 7% 2103 votes

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbGFuNWRkBF9TAzk1ODYxNzUzBHNlYwN0bg--

I am surprised 10,000,000 Pats fans didn't hijack the poll and elect Brady.

So long as Rice came with Joe Montana I'd go with him, but if I was building a franchise from scratch I'd have to go with Dan the MAN.

Oliver...

Originally posted by ohall
So long as Rice came with Joe Montana I'd go with him, but if I was building a franchise from scratch I'd have to go with Dan the MAN.

Oliver...

Agreed. I'd only pick Montana if I was running a west coast offense..but since I'm not.. I'm going to go with Marino. It's good to be the boss :D

The 49ers were a dynasty and won the big games so Montana's going to win this vote everytime.

But, no one can convince me that there was a better pure passer than Dan. He didn't have the greatest talent around him, but Dan Marino was as good as it gets and there is no one I'd rather watch throw the football.

<----------------------

Who would you rather have as your QB, Marino or God?

Trick Question - Marino is God

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Notice the poll answers are heavily skewed to guys with rings...no one can convince me that Dan isn't way better than Elway, and they're almost even in the polls!!

Originally posted by MarinoIsGod
&lt;----------------------

Who would you rather have as your QB, Marino or God?

Trick Question - Marino is God

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amen, brutha! Testify!

lol

ofcourse, you guys should be used to it now, theres no doubt that montana and elway were great QB's, elway won 2 superbowls in a row and had probably one of the best careers a player could ask for in the NFL, Montana was a little before my time of being interested in football so i dont know much about him, I know he beat our team in the superbowl though. I know he has his own sega genesis videogame...lol i know that the 49ers dominated back when he was QB and whenever you hear of the greatest QBs of all time hes on the list...my point to all this is the fact that Dan is included with these guys when he never even won a superbowl is awesome. These guys won many superbowls and had AWESOME teams. Dan was just a quarterback...never won the big game. Those other QBs may be the "best of all time" because of their superbowl wins etc but Dan Marino is by far the best quarterback to ever play the game. Forget the other players on the team and focus on that one position...who had the best skill? honestly? Dan Marino. There is no QB that has ever been able to release the ball as fast as he did and read the field the way he did. Cant forget that he had pinpoint accuracy and an amazing arm. His release is what people remember though. Thats whats very unique about him. If I had to choose which player would play quarterback based on pure skill and nothing of their past accomplishments, you can bet id pick dan marino.

Dan Marino is the GREATEST QB to ever play the game!!! Plain and simple, while I take nothing away from Elway and Montana if you replace Montana with Marino the 49ers might never have lost a game. Marino won with far less talent than any of the great QB's. If you gave Marino Denver's O Line and running game........ sorry drooling. Marino was the only QB that everyone and their mother knew was going to throw 30-35 times a game and they still couldnt stop it. He holds almost every single passing record while players like Montana usually are in the top 5 or 10. I like Montana dont get me wrong, but when you have Jerry Rice and John Taylor to throw to it makes your job a little easier. Marino did have the Marks brothers but you cant compare either to Rice. I actually think Brett Favre should have been on there too. He is going to go down as one of the best of all time.

I don't know how any fan of our team would ever say that Dan's not the best ever. But I think some SF fans could say that Dan was better than Joe and even Joe would probably say that Dan was better.

Ozzy rules!!

Somebody should sticky this addy and get everybody in here to vote for Danny.

Lets go people! Vote!

You take Dan.
Montana's play was just a product of Bill Walsh and the west coast offence.
Put Montana in the place of Dan Marino with Fins and he would have been just a average QB.
Montana is a good QB but to put him with the best QB's ever is a joke itself.
Just look what happened when Montana retired, Steve Young took over and there was virtualy no change at the quality if their QB'S.
Young has broke alot of Montana's records, so for the argument then Young is better then Montanna.

The 1 QB I feel that should have been on that poll is Brett Farve.

Originally posted by Danny
I don't know how any fan of our team would ever say that Dan's not the best ever. But I think some SF fans could say that Dan was better than Joe and even Joe would probably say that Dan was better.

Ozzy rules!!

I doubt any 49er fan would admit to Dan being the better QB, they (like many other SB winning QBs and their fans) say "the ring is what matters". Fans of the Bronco's used to sound just like us until Elway finally won one, now most of them will say the samething, "it's the ring that matters"

I'm surpised when Bradshaw, Young, Simms and others say the ring is all that matters when judging a QBs career, by that logic, QBs like Ripkin(sp?) Shroeder, Dilfer, Warner, Theisman, Plunkett, B. Johnson are all better QBs than Marino because of a ring they help win in a sport so much relied upon others to achieve.

They all know Marino was better than they were (are) they just hide behind their rings to make themselves feel superior.

Sad really.

I also remember Ron Wolf when he was still with the Packers back when Marino was retiring was asked if Marino should be considered one of the, if not the greatest QB of all time and his response was "why should he be considered great? What did marino ever win?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Marino was the best passer. Best qb ? I'd take Montana. Passing is just part of what makes a qb great. People say Marino had no talent around him. That's beccause he wanted to throw the ball all the time. Why do you think Jimmiy Johnson and Dan couldn't get along? No way Marino was gonna let the team run.

A great qb has the ability to adjust during games even if it meant taking the ball out of his hands. Marino couldn't fool people into thinking he was gonna hand the ball off. Defnitely the best passer.

Back
Top Bottom