Marino or Montana | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marino or Montana

That is how I always define Marino....as the BEST PURE PASSER.
Best overall QB? Not too sure about that.

Regarding the ring.....it does matter. Even Marino admits he would give it all up for a chance to have won one championship.

Originally posted by Justasportsfan
Marino was the best passer. Best qb ? I'd take Montana. Passing is just part of what makes a qb great. People say Marino had no talent around him. That's beccause he wanted to throw the ball all the time. Why do you think Jimmiy Johnson and Dan couldn't get along? No way Marino was gonna let the team run.

A great qb has the ability to adjust during games even if it meant taking the ball out of his hands. Marino couldn't fool people into thinking he was gonna hand the ball off. Defnitely the best passer.

I hear this lame argument all of the time in Buffalo. Every Bills fan and Buffalo sports writer and talk show host makes this idiotic claim.

Marino's aversion to running the ball came from the fact that they didn't have the talent to do it. period. Call me crazy, but I'd get sick of... no gain, no gain, Dan please get us a first down....

I assembled the list of RBs that Dan played with. Please find even one that had any success in the NFL, either before joining the Fins or after leaving the Fins. If the Fins had the talent and Dan refused to use it, surely there must be some players that were successful elsewhere.

RB Woody Bennett
RB Andra Franklin
RB Eddie Hill
RB Tony Nathan
RB David Overstreet
RB Woody Bennett
RB Joe Carter
RB Andra Franklin
RB Eddie Hill
RB Tony Nathan
RB Woody Bennett
RB Joe Carter
RB Ron Davenport
RB Lorenzo Hampton
RB Tony Nathan
RB Woody Bennett
RB Joe Carter
RB Ron Davenport
RB Craig Ellis
RB Lorenzo Hampton
RB Tony Nathan
RB Woody Bennett
RB Tom Brown
RB Ron Davenport
RB Lorenzo Hampton
RB Tony Nathan
RB Troy Stradford
RB Woody Bennett
RB Joe Cribbs
RB Ron Davenport
RB Lorenzo Hampton
RB Troy Stradford
RB Tom Brown
RB Ron Davenport
RB Nuu Faaola
RB Kerry Goode
RB Lorenzo Hampton
RB Willard Reaves
RB Sammie Smith
RB Troy Stradford
RB Tony Collins
RB Mark Higgs
RB Garrett Limbrick
RB Sammie Smith
RB Troy Stradford
RB Aaron Craver
RB Mark Higgs
RB Sammie Smith
RB Aaron Craver
RB Mark Higgs
RB Bobby Humphrey
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Mark Higgs
RB Terry Kirby
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Aaron Craver
RB Cleveland Gary
RB Mark Higgs
RB Terry Kirby
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Irving Spikes
RB Terry Kirby
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Irving Spikes
RB Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar
RB Jerris McPhail
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Irving Spikes
RB Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar
RB Jerris McPhail
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Lawrence Phillips
RB Irving Spikes
RB Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar
RB John Avery
RB Ron Moore
RB Bernie Parmalee
RB Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar
RB John Avery
RB Kantroy Barber
RB Cecil Collins
RB Autry Denson
RB J.J. Johnson

There are no players on this list that were held back by Dan Marino.....

It is comical that the fact that Marino never had the benefit of a solid running game to keep defenses off balance is used as an argument against his greatness. Every other QB in history has gone through periods where the running game faltered and defenses could sell out against the pass. This always leads to excuses for the QBs drop-off in play. Marino is the only QB in history that maintained a consistently excellent level of play without the benefit of a running game.

One other point. The job of the offense is to score points. QBs can most directly affect that by throwing touchdown passes. There has never been a more prolific TD passer than Dan Marino.

The problem with the Miami Dolphins through much of Marino's career was defense. They couldn't stop anybody.

IMO, with a better defense, Marino would have won at least one SB. I also believe his passing records would be a little lower since he would have been involved in fewer shootouts.

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo

I hear this lame argument all of the time in Buffalo. Every Bills fan and Buffalo sports writer and talk show host makes this idiotic claim.

this has nothing to do with buffalo and bills fans. :rolleyes: Look at the diffenrence in those votes. Not even close. The majority has spoken. You can't tell me that all those votes for Montana were all 49'er fans and dolphin haters.

Give Marino the same San Fran teams and they win would win more than 4 superbowls!!!

Originally posted by clajoie_7
Give Marino the same San Fran teams and they win would win more than 4 superbowls!!!
maybe, maybe not.

i Not even close. The majority has spoken.

the majority are morons. Look at the probowl, both Ruben brown and Brock Marion make the pro-bowl enough said.

I think Keyhawk is just mad that Dave Krieg and Dan McGwire isn't on the list

this has nothing to do with buffalo and bills fans. :rolleyes: Look at the diffenrence in those votes. Not even close. The majority has spoken. You can't tell me that all those votes for Montana were all 49'er fans and dolphin haters.

I wasn't talking about the rankings. Montana is an alltime great and an argument can be made for him being the greatest of all time.

This is the comment I took exception to- "No way Marino was going to let the team run."

That is typical Buffalo media crap.

Not to take away from Montana, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that he was slightly overrated. He was a great QB, but I'd take Marino OR Elway over him personally.

the majority are morons. Look at the probowl, both Ruben brown and Brock Marion make the pro-bowl enough said
I guess you are right about the same majority that voted for Ogun, Surtain, and Zach to the probowl. They are morons for doing so :rolleyes:

This is the comment I took exception to- "No way Marino was going to let the team run."

That is typical Buffalo media crap.
No smack intended but if there was one team out there that knew Marino and his fins it was the bills.

No smack intended but if there was one team out there that knew Marino and his fins it was the bills.

The Bills Orginization maybe, that doesn't necessarily mean the Fans and media. I think that point is made obvious as one watches the lack of response after "Fin fan in Buffalo" made his point.

Originally posted by Scrap
Not to take away from Montana, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that he was slightly overrated. He was a great QB, but I'd take Marino OR Elway over him personally.

As would I. Marino, Elway, then Montana.

Marino was the best passer. Best qb ? I'd take Montana. Passing is just part of what makes a qb great. People say Marino had no talent around him. That's beccause he wanted to throw the ball all the time. Why do you think Jimmiy Johnson and Dan couldn't get along? No way Marino was gonna let the team run.

A great qb has the ability to adjust during games even if it meant taking the ball out of his hands. Marino couldn't fool people into thinking he was gonna hand the ball off. Defnitely the best passer.

That's like saying a guy can kick FGs better than anyone else but he's not the best kicker. Marino never had a decent back to compliment him. And I'd take the world's best thrower over the best scrambler or whatever. I want my QB to throw the ball.

Montanta or Marino?
Montanta is great but check out my sig.

How is that relevant to the Bills fans and media?

I'm still waiting for the name of the RB that Marino held back from greatness.

How is that relevant to the Bills fans and media?

I'm still waiting for the name of the RB that Marino held back from greatness.
None. Why is it Shula never got one or ever had a decent running game ? That's because the fins would rather live and die with Marino's arm.

As far as the bills fans and media, they are no different from you. What makes such an expert over these guys?
That's like saying a guy can kick FGs better than anyone else but he's not the best kicker.
Are you telling me all a qb has to do is throw? I think he's got more responsibilities than a kicker. I could be wrong about that :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom