Mark Richt | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mark Richt

Good to see a reference to Chuck Dowdle. Those were great years in Miami sports television. Dowdle was the lanky amiable host on Channel 10 ABC WPLG. He was mostly an aw shucks type who hosted the Monday Night Don Shula Show at 8:30 immediately preceding Monday Night Football. It was so dramatic every week when that local show gave way to the opening theme song and graphics of Monday Night Football. The final segment of the Shula Show was pick-em with Shula, Dowdle and the player guests choosing the winner of that night's game.

Dowdle was mesmerized by his weekend sports anchor, a young guy named Roy Firestone. Dowdle laughed uncontrollably at everything Firestone said or did.

Later I saw Dowdle on Atlanta TV. I clicked away quickly. It was decades later. I still wanted to remember him as the young dark haired anchor on Channel 10.

Let's see, we had Dave Willingham on NBC Channel 7. That station aired virtually every Dolphins game, like Channel 4 today. Willingham had a bit of an unruly mustache. I learned early not to ever consider a mustache on myself, thanks to Willingham and others. Every Friday evening during football season Willingham interviewed Shula at about 6:40 during the hour long telecast. Maybe 12 minutes earlier during the sports segment he picked the result of the Dolphins game. He literally went entire years without forecasting a loss, and not merely 1972. I remember when the 1976 season was so miserable and Willingham finally relented and picked Pittsburgh to defeat the Dolphins. He was in apologetic mode and could barely spit out the words.

That guy was an early adjuster.

On Channel 4 we had Bob Halloran. He was somewhat older than the others, dating into the '60s. You can see him in clips from early Clay/Ali fights and training sessions in Miami. Bit of a pretty boy. I always thought he would get a nationwide gig.

Channel 6 was independent and had Bob Sheridan doing sports on their 10 PM newscast. Nobody else was throwing 10 PM news locally in those years. Sheridan became a big shot calling the closed circuit fight telecasts in the '70s and beyond, including the main call of the famous Rumble in the Jungle in fall 1974.

When i first moved to Georgia and saw Dowdle now with a deep southern accent I couldn't believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Richt will be introduced tomorrow morning in Coral Gables at 10 am.

Back
Top Bottom