Marlins to move D-Willis | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marlins to move D-Willis

Would someone please explain the formula for deciding earned versus unearned runs, and which pitcher gets a win or a loss?

It's unearned if the run is scored with the help of an error, so it gets the guy on base for example. The pitcher has to go 5 innings and have the lead when he leaves the game to be eligible for a win.

Taking the NY Post as fact is always a dangerous proposition. I agree that the Marlins will probably trade Willis; it makes too much sense not to. However, I'm not buying for a minute that they're not going to trade him inside the NL East. This is the same team that's made numerous significant trades with the Mets over the years: Piazza, Leiter, LoDuca, Delgado, and several minor deals...and now, suddenly, they're afraid of dealing with a division rival? Come on.

There's no question the Mets would have to pay a bit more than a team outside the NL East, but they'll be in on the bidding. If Humber and Milledge is on the table, and it's the best offer available, the Marlins aren't going to turn it down just because Willis might pitch against them a couple times a year.

Would someone please explain the formula for deciding earned versus unearned runs, and which pitcher gets a win or a loss?

Let's say if a guy gets on base by an error and eventually scores, his run is unearned. If a runner gets on base by error with two outs, all the runs after are unearned even if he was the only one who reached on error (because the inning should have been over)

If a guy scores when someone reaches on an error his run is earned, but if the guy who got on base because of the error scores that run is unearned.

As for the loss:

If the starter leaves the game at any point down in the game and his team never ties....he loses. If the game is tied, the pitcher who gives up the go ahead run (if his team never ties) loses.

I use to know the actual process of how to calculate the ERA. But I forgot it now. :(

dontrell gives up to many hits and just walks to many people and had trouble getting out of jams

If Friday's scout count is any indication, Dontrelle Willis won't be going anywhere before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. The only one believed to be in attendance was Pat Jones, a special assistant to Royals General Manager Dayton Moore. Willis has three more scheduled outings before month's end, but if he really is available it would seem more teams would be evaluating him.

http://fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb?page=2&cnn=yes

I honeslty believe right that it would be would worth more to the Marlins right now to just hold on to him and see what happens next year.

I honeslty believe right that it would be would worth more to the Marlins right now to just hold on to him and see what happens next year.

I personally think the Marlins should have traded him during the winter. His stock has fallen a bit now. You're probably right they're best off just holding on to him and trading him during the winter.

A lot of teams fall into the trap of holding onto players way too long, the Devil Rays shot themselves in the foot with Huff, Lugo and Baez, the O's should have traded Mora and Tejeda during the off-season, etc.

I said it some 3 years ago on this message board that he isn't a very good pitcher. If not for the high leg kick and dating one of the Williams sisters he would be a blip on the radar. All bluff, no stuff!

He did have one good season, can't take that away from him. Aside from that though, what has he done??? His numbers aren't that impressive and he plays in one of the, if not the, best pitchers park in all of baseball. Nuff said

The longer Florida holds onto him at this point, the bigger the mistake they are making

I said it some 3 years ago on this message board that he isn't a very good pitcher. If not for the high leg kick and dating one of the Williams sisters he would be a blip on the radar. All bluff, no stuff!

He did have one good season, can't take that away from him. Aside from that though, what has he done??? His numbers aren't that impressive and he plays in one of the, if not the, best pitchers park in all of baseball. Nuff said

The longer Florida holds onto him at this point, the bigger the mistake they are making

He is not a horrible pitcher and the Marlins need him alot because they have no pitching. He is a good pitcher just not a great pitcher. His leg kick helps his delvery, But it does attract the fans. Also he is a pretty good hitter for a pitcher.

Statistics don't support your argument. http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willido03.shtml

Willis' ERA+, which accounts for park factors:
2003 - 122
2004 - 102
2005 - 153
2006 - 112
2007 - 86

His numbers, of course, are all over the place. He's probably not as good as he showed in 2005, but he's definitely better than he is showing this year. In the whole, he's probably about 10-15% better than the average starting pitcher.

So, Willis is an above-average pitcher who eats up a ton of innings, is still just 25 years old, and is signed to a reasonable contract through 2008. In this market, that still has plenty of value.

Back
Top Bottom