Marlins will explore relocation | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marlins will explore relocation

I'm a Phillies fan, i hate the Marlins enough without the fact that they ruin Dolphins home games throughout september and possibly october. Get rid of them, send them to Vegas, send them whereever just get them the hell away from us.

This just sucks. Marlins deserve to play and stay here in South Florida. I really dislike all the Dolphin Fans who are not Marlin Fans who keep sayin' kick them out....WTF, Fins aren't the only sports team here in South Florida.

Contraction IS a possiblility.

The league can do it without union consent if they want to following the 2006 season

Jayson Stark said:
Q: This deal provides for no contraction through 2006, but says the union can't fight it in 2007. Does that mean contraction is inevitable in 2007?

A: No way. All it means is that the players agreed they won't file any grievances to stop it. That doesn't prevent exactly what happened in Minnesota this year. Leasing authorities, team employees, stadium workers and season-ticket holders can still sue. Local governments can raise a stink. Minor-league franchises can seek restraining orders. Contraction still faces many hurdles beyond just the players' union.

The players can do nothing about it beyond 2K6

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1425248.html

Even though the black letter law of the CBA says they can contract, there are still way too many obstacles to doing so. And even if the union can't officially block it, they can still raise hell and strike. Granted, it would be an illegal strike, but what's Selig going to do, fire them? They're not air traffic controllers, and Selig damn sure ain't Ronald Reagan.

If contraction is a technical possibility (and thanks for noting that, Dudeman; I had assumed the union bargained to keep it out of the owners' hands), it's not a realistic one.

IMHO, here are my odds on the Marlins home for 2007 and beyond...
South Florida 3-1
Las Vegas, NV 7-2
Charlotte, NC 10-1
Portland, OR 10-1
Monterrey, Mexico 15-1
San Juan, PR 50-1
New Jersey 50-1

And just for old time's sake:
Montreal, PQ 1,000,000-1

phunwin said:
Even though the black letter law of the CBA says they can contract, there are still way too many obstacles to doing so. And even if the union can't officially block it, they can still raise hell and strike. Granted, it would be an illegal strike, but what's Selig going to do, fire them? They're not air traffic controllers, and Selig damn sure ain't Ronald Reagan.

If contraction is a technical possibility (and thanks for noting that, Dudeman; I had assumed the union bargained to keep it out of the owners' hands), it's not a realistic one.

IMHO, here are my odds on the Marlins home for 2007 and beyond...
South Florida 3-1
Las Vegas, NV 7-2
Charlotte, NC 10-1
Portland, OR 10-1
Monterrey, Mexico 15-1
San Juan, PR 50-1
New Jersey 50-1

And just for old time's sake:
Montreal, PQ 1,000,000-1

And Buffalo? 1,00000000000000000000000000,000-1 :lol:

But I'm going to have to make a minor adjustment. The Marlins will still be here for the 2007 season. The quickest a stadium can be built elsewhere is in time for the 2008 season, but with the glacial pace MLB moves at with these things and the fact that our lease runs through 2010 in Dolphins Stadium, 2006 won't be the last season...and while we're on the topic...

http://www.finheaven.com/cms/244.html

RWhitney014 said:

Aw man, that's cold. Major League Baseball screwed over the Nickel City back in 1968, and folks haven't forgotten. Of course, now the combination of lousy weather and a worse economy have made Buffalo's chances of landing a baseball team only marginally better than Anchorage, Alaska's.

RWhitney014 said:

But I'm going to have to make a minor adjustment. The Marlins will still be here for the 2007 season. The quickest a stadium can be built elsewhere is in time for the 2008 season, but with the glacial pace MLB moves at with these things and the fact that our lease runs through 2010 in Dolphins Stadium, 2006 won't be the last season...and while we're on the topic...

http://www.finheaven.com/cms/244.html

Yes they will probably be there for the 2007 season, but they don't need to wait for a new built stadium to move. They could play a year or two in a converted football stadium or a very large AAA stadium (depending on the city) and be out ASAP.

phunwin said:
Aw man, that's cold. Major League Baseball screwed over the Nickel City back in 1968, and folks haven't forgotten. Of course, now the combination of lousy weather and a worse economy have made Buffalo's chances of landing a baseball team only marginally better than Anchorage, Alaska's.

I think that despite being a small market, Buffalo could support a BB team.

Look at Seattle; when the Pilots were here for one season in '68, they could hardly get 2000 fans into the stands. Yet the Mariners have been a runaway success story here since their inception in '76, despite the way the team routinely breaks its fans' hearts, and despite the abysmal personnel decisions over the years.

phunwin said:

that name is new to me, I understand it and think it is clever, but being from Miami the city nicknames I learned ..well, Nickle City is cool.

without a salary cap and a major TV deal a MLB team in Buffalo would die overnight. (ie Pittsburgh).

Fans might show up but without the big money coming in from TV and other sources, a team in Buffalo couldn't seriously compete with the big boys.

phunwin said:

It was more a knock on Bills fans than you, but you can take it that way if you want. :lol:

What's funny is that when MLB gave Miami and Denver teams in 1992, Buffalo, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay were the runners-up. Which one still doesn't have a team? :rofl3:

Another reason why Buffalo rules...but at least they have the Sabres!

MikeO said:
Yes they will probably be there for the 2007 season, but they don't need to wait for a new built stadium to move. They could play a year or two in a converted football stadium or a very large AAA stadium (depending on the city) and be out ASAP.

Las Vegas obviously doesn't have a football stadium (whatever UNLV uses doesn't count), and Cashman Field not only is too small, but the Dodgers AAA team needs it.

Portland has a small AAA park and no football stadium. Charlotte has the football stadium, but the closest facility is in Durham. Which is also too small. The only open facility was in DC, but that's being used. So unless you're suggesting a short-term move to Montreal, South Florida is definitely the best immediate option.

And they can't move somewhere with the assumption that a park will be built, because, as I said in the article, look at what Washington is going through right now.

dob72 said:
i'm sure that will make alot of u dolphins only fans happy

I'm not happy to see Miami lose any teams, but you're damned right that I'll do a dance of joy when they're out of the stadium and I never have to see the dirt infield disgrace the football field my beloved Dolphins play on. I will say that I think it's pathetic the local fans cannot support sports better than they do -- I often wonder if the Dolphins would still be there if not for the broad national fanbase I'm a part of.

RWhitney014 said:
Las Vegas obviously doesn't have a football stadium (whatever UNLV uses doesn't count), and Cashman Field not only is too small, but the Dodgers AAA team needs it.

Portland has a small AAA park and no football stadium. Charlotte has the football stadium, but the closest facility is in Durham. Which is also too small. The only open facility was in DC, but that's being used. So unless you're suggesting a short-term move to Montreal, South Florida is definitely the best immediate option.

And they can't move somewhere with the assumption that a park will be built, because, as I said in the article, look at what Washington is going through right now.

Two things to remember. There is construction then there is "VEGAS CONSTRUCTION". They put things up overnight it seems like out there. So, IF they want to build a new stadium they could very quickly.

You might have the Marlins as a LAME DUCK team in Miami till 2008 or 2009. But they will be nothing more than the "new era Expos" who aren't competitive and are the laughing stock of MLB. Probably playing half their games in Miami and the other half in Puerto Rico until Vegas or whatever other city is ready to house them.

Back
Top Bottom