mason rudolph? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

mason rudolph?

Because it's the safe conventional wisdom route that lends itself to ongoing mediocrity.

I agree with your point. I've made it many times. Those 3rd and 4th round quarterbacks are sucker investments, far more often than not. Basically a wasted pick. But those rounds lend themselves to a comfort level of...see, we addressed the quarterback position...we did the right thing...we're all set.

And since there are occasional jackpots like Russell Wilson or rookie Dak Prescott, then the theory retains far more value than its worth.

The exponentially more astute method is to get over the fear of not addressing the so-called urgent team need in the first round. Newsflash: an elite quarterback is always the paramount team need. If you're not sure if you have one, then you don't.

Nobody is going to bite you or uproot the franchise if you -- horrors -- don't draft a linebacker in the first round. Then we'll get all the posts sourcing from fear, which is so popular these days. No kidding the first round quarterback might bust. Now that would be a tragedy. I can't imagine the Dolphins without Charles Harris or Devante Parker or Ju'Waun James.

I already like Adam Gase but I'll gain a ton more respect for him if he's bold enough to grab a quarterback in the first round. Shake things up around here. If not, then you randomly nibble in the 6th and 7th round every year, even if it's multiple quarterbacks in every draft. You can do without those 7th round skinny tight ends or injured receivers. That won't hurt either.

BTW, I think Rudolph is very good and likely to go in the first round. Let's see, four seasons of 9.9 YPA (limited duty), 8.9 YPA, 9.1 YPA and 10.0 YPA.

The league is not going to ignore that type of thing into the middle rounds, especially since a pro style quarterback is delivering those numbers.
You consider Prescott a jackpot?

Brady was a 6th round pick. Den Herder was a 9th. Wake, undrafted.

Dion Jordan was a 1st. As was Ryan Leaf and Manziel.

1st doesn’t guarantee a badass. Later rounds don’t necessarily mean you’re getting the scraps.
You can't go tit for tat on 1st round qbs vs 4,5 rounders. Not gonna happen. You can throw out Brady until you're blue in the face. Just stop. Roethlisberger, Brees, Matt Ryan, Eli, Rivers. Do you think Miami will actually start a 4th Rd. Qb that's not out of necessity?

You can't go tit for tat on 1st round qbs vs 4,5 rounders. Not gonna happen. You can throw out Brady until you're blue in the face. Just stop. Roethlisberger, Brees, Matt Ryan, Eli, Rivers. Do you think Miami will actually start a 4th Rd. Qb that's not out of necessity?

OK, I’ll just stop.

If we don’t take a QB is the 1st, we’re ****ed.

Because it's the safe conventional wisdom route that lends itself to ongoing mediocrity.

I agree with your point. I've made it many times. Those 3rd and 4th round quarterbacks are sucker investments, far more often than not. Basically a wasted pick. But those rounds lend themselves to a comfort level of...see, we addressed the quarterback position...we did the right thing...we're all set.

And since there are occasional jackpots like Russell Wilson or rookie Dak Prescott, then the theory retains far more value than its worth.

The exponentially more astute method is to get over the fear of not addressing the so-called urgent team need in the first round. Newsflash: an elite quarterback is always the paramount team need. If you're not sure if you have one, then you don't.

Nobody is going to bite you or uproot the franchise if you -- horrors -- don't draft a linebacker in the first round. Then we'll get all the posts sourcing from fear, which is so popular these days. No kidding the first round quarterback might bust. Now that would be a tragedy. I can't imagine the Dolphins without Charles Harris or Devante Parker or Ju'Waun James.

I already like Adam Gase but I'll gain a ton more respect for him if he's bold enough to grab a quarterback in the first round. Shake things up around here. If not, then you randomly nibble in the 6th and 7th round every year, even if it's multiple quarterbacks in every draft. You can do without those 7th round skinny tight ends or injured receivers. That won't hurt either.

BTW, I think Rudolph is very good and likely to go in the first round. Let's see, four seasons of 9.9 YPA (limited duty), 8.9 YPA, 9.1 YPA and 10.0 YPA.

The league is not going to ignore that type of thing into the middle rounds, especially since a pro style quarterback is delivering those numbers.

I think the history is there on 2nd round quarterbacks. To me the 2nd round quarterback is sort of a divisional remainder, the success rate of which represents how often the NFL gets it wrong on top tier quarterbacks, which is pretty often if you think about it.

The 2nd round quarterback is often a 1st round quarterback that just found himself without a chair when the music stopped (e.g. Derek Carr, Brett Favre, Boomer Esiason), or a 1st round quarterback that people got nervous about because of one or two explicit factors that proved to be nothing more than distraction (e.g. Drew Brees's height, Colin Kaepernick's elongated release, Randall Cunningham being a running quarterback), or even a quarterback that one team was very convinced is actually the best quarterback in the draft (or among the best), but knows the rest of the league is not convinced and therefore they feel comfortable gaming the price tag they pay for him (e.g. Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppolo, Andy Dalton, Jake Plummer).

I count Russell Wilson there even though he fell to the 3rd round, technically speaking, because the Seahawks had made exactly the call I described, and they were merely gaming the price tag they paid. They've said if they had any whiff of interest in the 2nd round, they were going to take him in the round or trade up.

Where I think you get into useless territory is the 3rd round, even though that's where Russell Wilson went, and where Matt Schaub went. Maybe this is just anecdotal, and I have no idea what other 3rd round quarterbacks this may apply to, but something both those guys absolutely had in common is that they went in years where there were a lot of quarterbacks the "top tier" and the teams that picked Wilson and Schaub thought those players were every bit on par with the 1st rounders, but knew they could get their guy at their price tag.

So if the Dolphins are all about a 3rd round quarterback this year for Adam Gase to "groom" then I think they're wasting their time unless it's a guy they specifically identify as being every bit as good as the 1st round quarterbacks, but that they know the rest of the league doesn't have a price on him and so they can afford to game the price.

The question is, which QB would that sort of thinking apply to? Maybe Lamar Jackson? Mason Rudolph? Riley Ferguson?

Back
Top Bottom