Matt Miller's Pre-Combine Scouting Notebook - Interesting DGB tidbit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Miller's Pre-Combine Scouting Notebook - Interesting DGB tidbit

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362711-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-scouting-notebook

Some of the interesting highlights:

— This is a draft article, but first a very credible rumor that will affect
the draft: I'm told the New York Jets plan to roll out the red carpet for
Demaryius Thomas if he doesn't receive the
franchise tag from the Denver Broncos.

Very Interesting:

— After seeing Dorial
Green-Beckham
in person before the Super Bowl, I started asking NFL
scouts what they've heard about his year at Oklahoma. As one Southwest scout
assigned to Oklahoma told me, "He's completely turned his life around. Big
brother moved in, whipped his ass and took control. He's on the
straight-and-narrow since leaving Mizzou."

— As teams get together at headquarters to group scout players, one
director of scouting told me he was "very surprised" by
Green-Beckham's speed on tape. "He has a lot more scoot than I
saw back in January."

— I asked around this week to get a feel for a player who may "blow up"
at the combine. Washington State defensive tackle Xavier Cooper
received several votes from scouts. The 6'4", 300 pound tackle moves like a much
smaller guy. Athletically, he's comparable to Sheldon Richardson.

3. WR Sammie Coates,
Auburn

Separation is important for wide receivers, but ability to catch is
still most important. Sammie Coates is great at
one, not the other.

In games I've charted—four so far—Coates
is struggling to catch the ball cleanly more than any player I've seen this
year. Of course the same was said for Kelvin Benjamin and Jordan Matthews last
year and both improved once in the NFL. But Coates' lack of development as a route-runner and as a
hands catcher adds up to a fall down my board.

Good for DGB if true. Easy to put on a show and not be sincere though...just ask the Browns concerning Johnny Manziel.

I have read DGB has a really good family and that he just had a really tough time lately, but that they really support him. That's pretty big. I hope he has turned it around.

I wouldn't compare this to manziel, Manziel is a spoiled rich kid who already has everything he wants, and he doesn't care what kind of attention he's getting as long as he gets it.

The team that draft DGB better be prepared to give him the Dez Bryant treatment.

He is 6'6? Damn I wish we had a HC that could handle potential troubled players and turn them around. Sadly with Philbin here we will never get a big return on these risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is 6'6? Damn I wish we had a HC that could handle potential troubled players and turn them around. Sadly with Philbin here we will never get a big return on these risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dion Sims, Walt Aikens, Mike Pouncey and his issues, Chris McCain, Damian Williams.. He's taken chances on players that weren't clean in college. Obviously DGB's problems are more serious, but if his change is legitimate it is possible. The price just has to be right, so I wouldn't predict it in the first round - even if his talent is absolutely first round.

I hope that is all true and that DGB really does get it all together. Good for him and his family... stick together!!! best of luck to him with that off the field, and hope it helps him on!!!

Nothing like having your older brother live with you to make sure you keep you act together. I could see them living together even when DGB plays in the NFL. IF DGB really does have his life turned around he could be an option at 14. The dude is a specimen and the RZ threat this team needs. It will be really interesting to see how he looks at the combine and well as his pro day (if allowed to attend).

You can draft Devin Funchess in round two if you are concerned about DGB. I think there will still be a lot of good receivers on the board in round two if we decide to take a LB, CB or DT in round one. If Cooper, White and Parker are off the board when we come up at #14 I would try to trade down or get a receiver later on.

Nothing like having your older brother live with you to make sure you keep you act together. I could see them living together even when DGB plays in the NFL. IF DGB really does have his life turned around he could be an option at 14. The dude is a specimen and the RZ threat this team needs. It will be really interesting to see how he looks at the combine and well as his pro day (if allowed to attend).

His agent will find a place to hold his pro day if Oklahoma refuses. I don't see that as a problem for him.

The combine will be huge for him...not just the interviews but how well he runs his routes. His Missouri tape is full of bubble screens and go routes...same little bubble screens that Michael Egnew ran when he was there. It would be in his best interest to participate in every drill...if he doesn't show well he has the excuse of having not played this past year...then if he shows improvement at his pro day from the combine he would most likely move up draft board dramatically. He needs to soak up every bit of coaching he gets like a sponge at the combine.

I think the question in regards to DGB is - Will he revert back once he gets away from his brothers influence and how will that new found cash affect him?

I think the question in regards to DGB is - Will he revert back once he gets away from his brothers influence and how will that new found cash affect him?

thats the risk of drafting a guy with many red flags. who knows what the future truly holds

The Dolphins aren't a team that has shown a propensity to gamble on greatness. I don't expect them to do it with DGB, especially with the number of quality receivers in the draft. Now, if DGB makes it to the 2nd round (I think Seattle takes him at 32) then that's another story.

Back
Top Bottom