Matt Miller's Pre-Combine Scouting Notebook - Interesting DGB tidbit | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Miller's Pre-Combine Scouting Notebook - Interesting DGB tidbit

DGB rising up draft lists and cleaning up his act is fantastic news for the fins.
If someone grabs him before 14 then that is one other guy that may drop to us if not we can make that choice.

Dion Sims, Walt Aikens, Mike Pouncey and his issues, Chris McCain, Damian Williams.. He's taken chances on players that weren't clean in college. Obviously DGB's problems are more serious, but if his change is legitimate it is possible. The price just has to be right, so I wouldn't predict it in the first round - even if his talent is absolutely first round.
He didn't draft Pouncey and everyone else was 4th rnd or later. I would love to have DGB if all other WRs are gone by 14 but Philbin will not go for it. Hickey - maybe but Philbin - nope , which is sadly why it wont happen. Here's to Parker/White or Gurley/Gordon.

Good for DGB! Most of these "bad" kids aren't "bad" kids. Life is hard in general at that age. You're developing a lot as a person. Throw in the combo of coming from a rough background and fame, and it's a recipe for someone to struggle. I never get the people who want to see these guys **** up. If it's true, and if teams really believe it, he's going top-10.

Not at all surprised to see Xavier Cooper getting love. I agree that he's a comparable athlete to Richardson, but he's bigger than SH-Rich. Watch him for any amount of time, and you see stupid speed for a guy that size. Before it's all said and done, he could easily be in the mix at 14. Whether he's chasing down RB's and WR's 15 yards down the field, scooping up fumbles and returning them for TD's like a DB, or just bursting through the line before the other guys are even out of their stance, I have him as the #2 DT behind Williams.

He didn't draft Pouncey and everyone else was 4th rnd or later. I would love to have DGB if all other WRs are gone by 14 but Philbin will not go for it. Hickey - maybe but Philbin - nope , which is sadly why it wont happen. Here's to Parker/White or Gurley/Gordon.

Yeah, sorry I should have clarified - for Pouncey, I just meant keeping him on the team/taking 5th year option. I definitely don't see it happening in the first round though, agreed. Second round would still be surprising. I'd love a Parker pick in the first, and then Paul Dawson in the second.

Yeah I think Cooper is more of a guy who will shoot up these dranik boards…the teams probably already have him up there. I think he's better than any DT not named Leonard Williams in this draft.

As for DGB…the talent is undeniable. He is a bit raw…but thats mainly because of the offense. You can look at it one of two ways: The risk is too great to draft someone with red flags like that in the 1st round….or the risk is too great to pass on a talent that good in the 1st round.

Yeah I think Cooper is more of a guy who will shoot up these dranik boards…the teams probably already have him up there. I think he's better than any DT not named Leonard Williams in this draft.

As for DGB…the talent is undeniable. He is a bit raw…but thats mainly because of the offense. You can look at it one of two ways: The risk is too great to draft someone with red flags like that in the 1st round….or the risk is too great to pass on a talent that good in the 1st round.

Don't know what took people so long to get around to Cooper. I know Slimm had him as his #2 underclassmen DT behind Covington (had/has Williams as a DE). Don't know if he still has it that way, but up until this last week, it's the only list I've seen that has a reasonable ranking on Cooper. Not rare for Slimm to be out in front on a prospect. If he performs up to expectations at the combine, people are going to go back to the Oregon game and rave about it (already should be). That movement on a guy that size is rare. Ultimately, those are the acquisitions that change the fate of your team. You need a solid roster, but to compete at the highest level, you need guys who can make freak plays, and, of course, a QB. Not every team has a DT that can live in the backfield. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a bigger, faster, Michael Bennett from A&M, not OSU. He's excellent on stunts, and he's crafty with his hands.

Don't know what took people so long to get around to Cooper. I know Slimm had him as his #2 underclassmen DT behind Covington (had/has Williams as a DE). Don't know if he still has it that way, but up until this last week, it's the only list I've seen that has a reasonable ranking on Cooper. Not rare for Slimm to be out in front on a prospect. If he performs up to expectations at the combine, people are going to go back to the Oregon game and rave about it (already should be). That movement on a guy that size is rare. Ultimately, those are the acquisitions that change the fate of your team. You need a solid roster, but to compete at the highest level, you need guys who can make freak plays, and, of course, a QB. Not every team has a DT that can live in the backfield. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a bigger, faster, Michael Bennett from A&M, not OSU. He's excellent on stunts, and he's crafty with his hands.

I was big on Xavier Cooper myself from the start... but a lot of people were saying he wasnt athletic enough, wasnt good against the run, and would be a better 5 technique (if i remember correctly)... I still think he is one of the better DT in the draft... plays extremely smart, reads well, takes great angles, gets off blocks, flows well as a great team defender, and makes plays as well.

I was big on Xavier Cooper myself from the start... but a lot of people were saying he wasnt athletic enough, wasnt good against the run, and would be a better 5 technique (if i remember correctly)... I still think he is one of the better DT in the draft... plays extremely smart, reads well, takes great angles, gets off blocks, flows well as a great team defender, and makes plays as well.

I remember reading write ups that said he looked like an average athlete and didn't show burst. Felt like I was on crazy pills.

I remember reading write ups that said he looked like an average athlete and didn't show burst. Felt like I was on crazy pills.

i do think he plays high and doesnt consistently fire off the line though, things to work on.... but he does everything else extremely well. very knowledgeable of the position it seems

I am 100% behind drafting DGB. Kid is a bit of a risk, but so was Dez Bryant and we didnt draft him, and we would all love to have him now. We cant afford to due this again.

Back
Top Bottom