McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McDaniel should've known Fangio scheme wouldn't work with our players?

I know we blame Fangio a lot for not utilizing the players the best way but I feel like McDaniel should've realized that scheme wouldn't match the talent we already had.

I am sure McDaniel was hoping Fangio would be more reasonable, would work better with staff, as eventually Miami brought in the type of players he needed.

Fangio not playing nice with the other coaches, and playing favorites (Not beat players for job) with the players threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. How could you say no to such a respected Coordinator like Fangio.

Last edited:
I certainly can't fault Fangio's system; it is a popular, much-copied system in the NFL, but great coaches are flexible. They create a system that uses the personnel that they have at the time.
Fangio just flatly refused to do this. Whether stubbornness or just arrogance caused his failure in Miami really doesn't matter; he failed.
He misused his DBs, he misused Ogbah all season long. He misused Van Ginkle early. He was slow to make in-game changes, and worst of all... he lost his player's respect.
He failed... and Grier gave him the quick hook. I wish Shula would have done that with Olivadatti.

I certainly can't fault Fangio's system; it is a popular, much-copied system in the NFL, but great coaches are flexible. They create a system that uses the personnel that they have at the time.
Fangio just flatly refused to do this. Whether stubbornness or just arrogance caused his failure in Miami really doesn't matter; he failed.
He misused his DBs, he misused Ogbah all season long. He misused Van Ginkle early. He was slow to make in-game changes, and worst of all... he lost his player's respect.
He failed... and Grier gave him the quick hook. I wish Shula would have done that with Olivadatti.
Agreed. I think his heart was never in Miami, (he was watiting for Philly) and we were a 1 year windfall because Ross opened the checkbook and he couldn't refuse it. Good for Ross but a horrible fit for the team and young HC. I look at Fangio like a hooker, we paid, he faked a few orgasms, took our money and departed.

I simply don't understand this talk about McDaniel should have known that our defensive players couldn't play the Fangio system. Seems like more off-season B/S intended to smear Mike McDaniel. The sort of thing that Mike Florio or Skip Bayless would invent to create some more drama. OK, matching Mike with Vic didn't work out, put it behind, learn from this and move forward. For a while the Defense appeared to be coming together and it was the loss of so many key players through injury (Jaelan Phillips, Bradley Chubb, Jerome Baker, Jevon Holland, etc) that seemed to impact the latter results.

Last edited:
I know we blame Fangio a lot for not utilizing the players the best way but I feel like McDaniel should've realized that scheme wouldn't match the talent we already had.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. When healthy, Fangio's system seemed to work pretty well with the players we had, it was the mental stubbornness by Fangio that seemed to cause challenges and failures along with the injuries.

McDaniel not showing authority and taking players out of the game when they didn't need to be in it showed how the dynamic didn't work.

They seemed to coach separately instead of having a united front........not conducive to a positive end result.

Fangio is gone because of his attitude not because of play on the field. It seemed like a great hire at the time, not least because we were adding head coaching experience to the staff. I want a Defensive coordinator who works together with McDaniel and Frank Smith on the gameplan, who helps to identify weaknesses in our offense and vice versa each week and gets the players to buy into the scheme. Hopefully we've got that with Anthony Weaver.

This fanbase is so toxic. MM is ****ed no matter what he does. If he won the superbowl, some of you people would still ask that he be fired because we won because of someone else or because he jokes too much.

You people wouldnt know the best coach this team has had since Shula even if it was staring you in the face. (which you dont).

I'm completely puzzled by these statements. We had a top 10 defense. Yes, we could have played better. I would have like to see Ramsey shadow top WRs, more blitzing, more Cam Smith, press coverage when needed, a different outcome for that Titans game meltdown ....but jeez.

Top 10 is quite respectable. The players seem to fit the scheme, IMO. In fact, I think we were top 5 before that embarrassing Ravens game late in the season.

I agree with some of this(I normally agree with you on a lot of stuff) except for "grier gave him the quick hook".......Fangio never wanted to be here and him leaving had nothing to do with grier imo......most of the time when they say "mutual" is BS but not in this case.....Fangio always wanted to be in Philly......not saying the team wanted him to stay here but Fangio's happy to be gone.

I am sure McDaniel was hoping Fangio would be more reasonable, would work better with staff, as eventually Miami brought in the type of players he needed.

Fangio not playing nice with the other coaches, and playing favorites (Not beat player for job) with the players threw a monkey wrench into the whole thing. How could you say no to such a respected Coordinator like Fangio.
I mean it was a recipe for disaster or at least a short-term solution. I was excited about him coming aboard but when you factor in the assumption that we wooed him with money and his age, and geography issues it was a plug for a year or two and we should have looked elsewhere. I get that we were in win now mode and if we were somewhat healthy who the H knows what would have been? Can't fault them too much here, he is a very good coord just probably past his prime and full of himself.

More importantly, he should've forced vic to make the adjustments needed on defense... oh wait, as a HC, he had no control over the defense. Think about that for a second. Let that marinate

Agree with all except Grier cutting him. I'm pretty sure it was the other way around

More importantly, he should've forced vic to make the adjustments needed on defense... oh wait, as a HC, he had no control over the defense. Think about that for a second. Let that marinate
What makes you think he didn't?

To be fair, I don't know what the conversations were behind the scenes, but I think it is clear that there are many different narratives here and I'm not sure I would assume the worst on the part of McD. These are not the types of conversations or management issues you will likely see be discussed publicly.

Back
Top Bottom